• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opinion on the following article

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know a great deal about the current situation in South Africa, but the article seems to suggest that these farmers will have to have somewhere to go.

Do citizens of South Africa actually need a visa to go to Australia? I thought citizens of Commonwealth countries could move freely among member states.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
This is nothing new nor is it a surprise that some have been pretending that it hasn't been happening for years, good for Australia.
Nelson Mandela, the man of peace:
Jacob Zuma (I've posted this one before)

Shad

Veteran Member
Do citizens of South Africa actually need a visa to go to Australia?

Yes as the subject isn't a short term trip of days. Long term stay require a visa. The case with SA is just that as they are not considered refugees.

I thought citizens of Commonwealth countries could move freely among member states.

Australian law treats Commonwealth citizens as aliens just like any non-Commonwealth citizen in Australia is. The Commonwealth ties were cut in 86 for the most part.

A Vestigial Mote

I recently watched a periodical documentary program ("Reggie Yates Outside Man", season 1, episode 1, which is on Netflix if anyone's interested) in which his target country of travel/perusal was South Africa. Much of the country is basically in a complete turn-about situation of black-on-white oppression. Whites have a much harder time getting jobs, are mostly relegated to living in squalor, and are highly discriminated against in all avenues of life. He even talked to some middle-class black South Africans who were playing with their family at a park. They admitted to knowing that many whites live this way, but feel there is really nothing they can do to help, etc.

It so mirrors the worst of segregation of black people in the U.S. that it's uncanny.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Australian law treats Commonwealth citizens as aliens just like any non-Commonwealth citizen in Australia is. The Commonwealth ties were cut in 86 for the most part.

Yup. The 'for the most part' is important. We have some special arrangements with New Zealand, for example, although even those have been rolled back a little.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Just wondering what the general opinion on the subject of the below article is
Australia considering fast-track visa program for white South African farmers

I'm in two minds. It seems to make sense, but our treatment of refugees generally has been poor, so it's always worth trying to understand what's different in this case.

There have been similar exception programs in the past, including extending additional visas to East Timorese and to Kosavars, I think. However, I'm working from memory here, and have to admit I am not across this as much as I should be.