• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opinion of Amish

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
They're human beings, just like the rest of us. They have their merits, and their faults. Overall though, I must say that my experiences with the Amish and the Mennonites have been pleasant. I admire them for their dedication, sincerity, and simplicity.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
They're people, just like everyone else. They just choose to live a different way than most people - that doesn't make them any better or worse than anybody else.

Ðanisty

I don't have anything against the Amish. Actually, they fascinate me. I don't think I could ever live in that kind of simplicity, but it also appeals to me. Perhaps it's because I'm an introvert and sometimes I'd like to shut the door on the outside world and just experience my own thing. My own thing, however, would be very different. I do think I'd enjoy spending great portions of my time making things like quilts and I do enjoy cooking. I have a couple of Amish cookbooks and the recipes in there can't be beat for good old-fashioned home cooking. I couldn't live without the technology though and I'm nowhere even close to being a Christian so a lot of their ideas and practices would make me miserable.

FatMan

Going to school in Lewisburg, PA, there were several amish communities around. One saturday, we were joyriding and came to a dirt road that dead-ended. We turned around shortly after passing a farmhouse. Coming back by, there was an Amish girl, probably no more than 10 years old in her nice dress, holding an axe and chopping wood.

It was quite a sobering site, so much so that I quickly reached underneath me and tossed the silver spoon out the window.

dbakerman76

God's Nephew
I have nothing but love and respect for the Amish. I admire their strong faith and dedication to following Christ's example.

I know I can live a simple life but I doubt I could live without modern technology.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Welcome to RF. :D We are all children of one God. The Amish are my brothers and sisters. My powerful psychic intuition tells me that you might be Amish. Okay, okay, I confess....I guessed because of your username. Ain't I a genius? Uh...don't answer that. :eek: Anyway, there aren't any Amish people in Trinidad where I live but from what I've seen in movies, I think that they have very high standards and very good values. :yes:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Overall my opinion of the Amish is favorable. They do not have an idyllic society as some may believe however and have occasional deep rooted problems just like the rest of us.

Welcome to the forum. :) Are you Amish? If so, a computer is allowed? :D

gnomon

Like others, favorable.

But then again, I've always held people who work the land as favorable. What is their not to admire of a people who are truly far more self-sufficient than the rest of us. Or me, at least.

Compare them to a case I witnessed sitting in court one day. A woman, probably in her mid-sixties, was in court because her lawn was not up to the standards of the homeowners association. Such a ludicrous situation would be absent from the Amish. Fortunately, the judge felt the same way and waived any court fees and fines. He merely asked if anyone in the courtroom would be willing to help an individual out by mowing her lawn. Nearly everyone raised their hand.

How can you not respect a people with a strong sense of community when the rest of us barely know names of our neighbours.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
gnomon said:
How can you not respect a people with a strong sense of community when the rest of us barely know names of our neighbours.

Exactly. Their self-sustainability and sense of community is inspiring.

NZAmish

Hema said:
Welcome to RF. :D We are all children of one God. The Amish are my brothers and sisters. My powerful psychic intuition tells me that you might be Amish. Okay, okay, I confess....I guessed because of your username. Ain't I a genius? Uh...don't answer that. :eek: Anyway, there aren't any Amish people in Trinidad where I live but from what I've seen in movies, I think that they have very high standards and very good values. :yes:

There are no Amish in my country but I am slowly working toward becoming fully Amish.

athanasius

I may not agree fully with thier version of Christian theology or practice, but I will say that I believe that the amish are good, God fearing, mostly humble people.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Their beliefs and way of life is intriguing. If it were not for Religious Forums and my iPod, I would not mind being Amish myself. Overall, I think they are living and worshipping just how God wants us too, but I don't think you have to live your life as strictly as they do to go to Heaven.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
There are no Amish in my country but I am slowly working toward becoming fully Amish.

Oh, are you really? You should move to Tennessee. We have plenty of Amish people here! How are you going about becoming Amish if there is no one to teach you? And don't you have to descend from, like, the Dutch to be Amish. I am extremely ignorant in this, so someone, please enlighten me!

PureX

Veteran Member
There are many Amish communities around where I live. They tend to confuse their neighbors because each community has their own rules, and they keep their ideas and beliefs to themselves. But I like having them around, because they're different.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I have no problems with the Amish. I have a deep respect for thier dedication towards thier path in life. I especially love them when they bake thier breads. I use to take a walk once a week at a particular time just to smell them.:drool:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Tigress said:
They're human beings, just like the rest of us. They have their merits, and their faults. Overall though, I must say that my experiences with the Amish and the Mennonites have been pleasant. I admire them for their dedication, sincerity, and simplicity.

I guess that's word perfect.:)

NZAmish

Anade said:
Oh, are you really? You should move to Tennessee. We have plenty of Amish people here! How are you going about becoming Amish if there is no one to teach you? And don't you have to descend from, like, the Dutch to be Amish. I am extremely ignorant in this, so someone, please enlighten me!

I have traveled to the Americas and visited many Old Order Amish/Mennonite colonies and I have read many books on the subject.

To join the Amish you don't have to be Dutch, you just have to be willing to live every aspect of their lifestyle.