• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Operative and Illustrative Magic

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
In the practice of Greater Black Magic or ritual magic there are two forms known as operative and illustrative. Operative magic is the influencing of real world change such as the summoning of blessings and curses. Illustrative magic is the summoning of personal knowledge and understanding of ones Self, the metaphysical/subjective realms, and the Universe as a whole. Which forms of Magick do you find yourself exploring more and most engaged with?

Last edited:

allfoak

Alchemist
In the practice of Greater Black Magic or ritual magic there are two forms known as operative and illustrative. Operative magic is the influencing of real world change such as the summoning of blessings and curses. Illustrative magic is the summoning of personal knowledge and understanding of ones Self, the metaphysical/subjective realms, and the Universe as a whole. Which forms of Magick do you find yourself exploring more and most engaged with?
The latter .

Although i would say that i am beginning to understand that i have the ability to do both.

Last edited:

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
In the practice of Greater Black Magic or ritual magic there are two forms known as operative and illustrative.
My views regarding black magick and ritual magick may be somewhat different than yours...

Operative magic is the influencing of real world change such as the summoning of blessings and curses.
If I want to truly "bless" someone, I find it most effective to go out and manipulate and influence people and events in their favor and to their advantage.

If I want to "curse" someone, I find it most effective (and enjoyable) to go out and manipulate and influence people and events to work against them, to make their goals more difficult to achieve, their life less desirable to experience, and make them feel as if the world is crashing down upon them.

Of course, there are ritualized ways of preparing myself for this, for adopting a certain mindset and finding the numinous inspiration and motivation to take it to the next level and to contemplate the manner in which I intend to act.

More prominent means of this so-called "operative magick" that I frequently engage in would be my athletic training (or would you consider this "illustrative? I am not fond of these terms...) Fitness and nutrition maintains and strengthens my body, while the physical training I go through gets me the abilities I want. One might ask why I would attach the word "magick" to this. Well, because it is one of the most important aspects of my spiritual-religious system, and one of my favorite ways to generate mana for a particular war goddess. And unlike many, I experience the results I Will to experience, and my body and abilities are an excellent indication of that.

Illustrative magic is the summoning of personal knowledge and understanding of ones Self, the metaphysical/subjective realms, and the Universe as a whole.

The prophets of the bible used language and writing to convey their numinous message. I prefer to use imagery, via traditional art.

My paintings of gods and goddesses act as gateways for these beings to reach the hearts and minds of any who behold them. The stories they tell are intended to be interpreted in ways that reflect one's own Weltanschauung, no matter one's spiritual-religious views. Whether one is theistic or atheistic, there is a message for anyone, as these gods embody various powerful aspects inherent in every individual's own human Nature... aspects we might repress, or aspects we might embrace.

Though, the primary purpose of my numinous art is to strengthen my own spiritual-religious system, enhance my Temple, and deepen my connection with God(s). Nevertheless, I can see how people have been influenced by it, and it would be foolish of me not to consider how I might use that power to shape the people and world around me.

Which forms of Magick do you find yourself exploring more and most engaged with?
The kind that involves God(s) inspiring and motivating me to carry out my Will in this world, and the things I do to culturally develop my own spiritual religious system and strengthen my connection with God(s).

Last edited by a moderator:

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Imo illustrative leads to operative

Onyx

Premium Member
Operative Magic is "Aeonic" to me, so I approach it carefully and with more planning. You have to be prepared to accept the outcome/responsibility. I engage in Illustrative Magic more often, and a little less formally.

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member

To expand further on operative magic as my op was sort of vague, aside from blessings and curses, it is also more at organized group workings such as "Die Elektrischen Vorspiele", "Ceremony of the Nine Angles" and "Call to Cthulhu", which can and does lead to real change within the Self, as well as, the world without. It's been a while since I've participated in any organized group workings, most of my ritual work is solitary and illustrative, which is primarily focused on real change within the Self i.e. Xeper.

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Imo illustrative leads to operative

A good example of this is Michael Aquino's "Wewelsburg Working" a Greater Black Magical working via illustrative magic which brought about his own inner change and change in the world without.

From thread "Symbols/signs from LHP religions":

"After the expulsion of RK Barrett and others the ToS was in crisis, several First Degree and Second Degree members left the Temple. Michael Aquino re-assumed the office of High Priest and shortly thereafter while in Germany he visited the famous Wewelsburg castle where he performed that which is known as the "Wewelsburg Working". The results of which was his receiving new clarity and Understanding, and also the founding and Remanifestation of the Order of the Trapezoid as the first Order of the Temple of Set."

Last edited:

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member

Probably moreso illustrative.