• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Operating Systems: Pick Your Poison

What operating system do you use?

• Windows (XP, 2000, ME, NT, 98, 95, 3.1, whatever)

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • Macintosh (OSX verisons, etc.)

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Linux (Ubuntu, SUSE, Xandros, Redhat, etc.)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Binary card reader

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carrier Pigeons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other...please explain

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

Neale

Debonaire Rationale
Very straight-forward: what operating system(s) do you use?

If you're feeling typing-saavy, what do/don't you like about your OS(s)?

Personally, I'm a Mac evangilist. I've been using PCs all my life until I ordered a Macbook laptop a month ago. Currently I'm running OSX Tiger, Ubuntu Linux, and Windows XP Pro through programs called "Parallels" and "Boot Camp" respectively.

I like Macs for myriad reasons:
-Intuitive operating, and functionality
-No decrease in speed or performance (I've got friends who have old G4 desktops and they tell me that the machines still run as good as the day they bought it)
-They hold their resale value like Volvos.
-All software you could ever want has either been migrated to Macs natively, or can be run through Parallels/Boot Camp (see above).
-Productivity. I can't stress this enough. Until you've seen someone give a full-featured Keynote presentation, you won't understand. :)

evearael

We use Windows (I know, how awful). We've tried Linux before and have been VERY unhappy with it. Windows runs well enough for our purposes: internet, games, movies... Also, my husband always builds our systems from the ground up which I don't believe is possible with macs. Let me know if that has changed.

I'm using Windows XP on my laptop & workstation, and Suse Linux on my net server.
I've tried Ubuntu linux, everybody has their preferences for linux. For me Suse came out tops.

I've always admired Mac OS's, I hope the new Vista can do the same for the x86 PCs.

I've gone full circle with OS's, Windows still has the most apps, most flexibility.

Neale

Debonaire Rationale
evearael said:
Also, my husband always builds our systems from the ground up which I don't believe is possible with macs. Let me know if that has changed.

It hasn't as far as I know:(.

Since Apple has been putting Intel chips in their Macs, there will hopefully be some more third-party hardware developers. It would be nice to order a bunch of parts and build a Mac from a barebone box, but eh...

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Before I retired We used PC's for office work.
and Mac's for design and typesetting.
This was mainly because the College admin was based on Microsoft Office.
Both sorts were connected to the college networks by fibre optic.
We had no problems with the mix. I think the IT department had the problems.

PetShopBoy88

I use windows because I bought a PC, which was better for my needs than a mac. Though at some point I hope to buy a mac, as well.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Sadly, Windows XP. Along with several firewalls, anti-viruses, anti-spyware, and port monitors to keep it stable and running smoothly.

d.

_______
http://imageshack.us
c64siirto1ei7.gif

PureX

Veteran Member
Neale said:
Very straight-forward: what operating system(s) do you use?

If you're feeling typing-saavy, what do/don't you like about your OS(s)?

Personally, I'm a Mac evangilist. I've been using PCs all my life until I ordered a Macbook laptop a month ago. Currently I'm running OSX Tiger, Ubuntu Linux, and Windows XP Pro through programs called "Parallels" and "Boot Camp" respectively.

I like Macs for myriad reasons:
-Intuitive operating, and functionality
-No decrease in speed or performance (I've got friends who have old G4 desktops and they tell me that the machines still run as good as the day they bought it)
-They hold their resale value like Volvos.
-All software you could ever want has either been migrated to Macs natively, or can be run through Parallels/Boot Camp (see above).
-Productivity. I can't stress this enough. Until you've seen someone give a full-featured Keynote presentation, you won't understand. :)
I hear ya!

I have used PCs with Windows at work for years, but I have only bought Macs for myself, and wouldn't consider changing. And I have never been dissapointed with my decision.

Smoke

Done here.
We use Windows. My better half is the tech in our house, and he's very happy with Windows. I've tried to switch one of my computers over to Linux, but it's a lot of work and I don't really know what I'm doing. I probably won't make the switch unless I can convince John to set it up for me. :eek: