• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Open Abortion Clinics on Federal Lands!

Should Biden have abortion clinics opened on federal lands?

• Yes.

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • No.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Maybe/Unsure.

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
"Tell Joe Biden: Open Abortion Clinics on Federal Lands"

"We will be delivering this petition to the White House, so we want as many people to sign as possible. Please add your name and share this page with family and friends."

PETITION TEXT:

" On Friday, the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, undermining a half century of precedent behind our fundamental rights to an abortion and bodily autonomy. We have to take immediate, bold action to ensure people can get the care they need in the wake of this dangerous ruling. Today we are calling on President Biden and the White House to take executive action to open abortion clinics on federal lands. This small step could help expand access to life-saving abortion care for people in all 50 states."

Tell Joe Biden: Open Abortion Clinics on Federal Lands | Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for Congress (ocasiocortez.com)

open-graph.jpg
Would this also entail federal licensing for the doctors involved?

I'm pretty sure that any doctor who's licensed in a state where abortion is criminalized would be risking their license by participating in an abortion... even if the service was provided on federal land.

Suave

Simulated character
By the time they get a clinic built, the anti-abortionists will have begun passing federal restrictions.
They've probably got proposals waiting on the shelf or being ironed out by ALEC as we speak.
Perhaps mobile medical units could promptly facilitate abortions in the interim until the brick and mortar clinics would be ready to perform abortions,

Suave

Simulated character
Would this also entail federal licensing for the doctors involved?

I'm pretty sure that any doctor who's licensed in a state where abortion is criminalized would be risking their license by participating in an abortion... even if the service was provided on federal land.

I suppose abortion doctors performing abortions on federal lands would need to have a pro friendly choice state license them for an unrestricted practice. As far as I know, such a doctor could be sent anywhere to practice medical services by a federal agency,

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Sounds like it might work, although it depends on which type of federal land they're talking about. There's a lot of Federal land in the Western states, although not so much in the Eastern states.

Federal-Lands-United-States-Map.jpg

Of course, there's also veterans' hospitals and military-owned land, along with Federal office buildings in most jurisdictions.
I suppose military doctors could provide them on base.

Shaul

Premium Member
This would face problems. The Hyde Amendment bars most Federal funding of abortions.

esmith

Veteran Member
Why don't you'all just wait and see what your State laws are on abortions before going off the deep end.
And I'm going to thow a wrench into the idea of using federal lands.
Doctors have to be licensed in the state they are practicing in. Once they step off federal property they are subject to the laws of that state.
The Military requires that all physicians have a valid state license issued by a state, territory or commonwealth of the United States or the District of Columbia. In addition According to its 2020 budget, the Pentagon plans to cut 18,000 doctors, nurses, dentists and other specially trained medical positions from its ranks

Suave

Simulated character
Why don't you'all just wait and see what your State laws are on abortions before going off the deep end.
Doctors have to be licensed in the state they are practicing in. Once they step off federal property they are subject to the laws of that state.
The Military requires that all physicians have a valid state license issued by a state, territory or commonwealth of the United States or the District of Columbia.
Could not a military doctor licensed with a blue state practice surgery at a military hospital in a red state?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The Military requires that all physicians have a valid state license issued by a state, territory or commonwealth of the United States or the District of Columbia.
Because it shouldn't matter what the state's rights on abortion are. Abortion shouldn't be any more a state issue than slavery is.

Could not a military doctor licensed with a blue state practice surgery at a military hospital in a red state?
Not at present, no. Military does not provide abortions for active, vets or their family because, as has been said, federal funds can't be used for abortion. Not unless we overturn Hyde, and abortion is more likely to get banned federally than that happening.

Again, may as well spend that money giving women ways out of the state or fight to end state bans all together.

Suave

Simulated character
Because it shouldn't matter what the state's rights on abortion are. Abortion shouldn't be any more a state issue than slavery is.

Not at present, no. Military does not provide abortions for active, vets or their family because, as has been said, federal funds can't be used for abortion. Not unless we overturn Hyde, and abortion is more likely to get banned federally than that happening.

Again, may as well spend that money giving women ways out of the state or fight to end state bans all together.
This would face problems. The Hyde Amendment bars most Federal funding of abortions.
Please let us then elect a Congress that will remove the Hyde Amendment from federal spending.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If it were that simple it would have already been done while they had majority.
Democrats, and Republicans too, in the Senate still respect the filibuster. The filibuster makes it much harder to get some legislation passed but it also makes the government more stable. Just think of a the cost and turmoil of constantly changing major policies if one side ever passes anything.

I am not a fan of the filibuster but I can see that it does have value.

Shaul

Premium Member
If it were that simple it would have already been done while they had majority.
But the Democrats do have a majority in both the House and the Senate. Yet they don’t do it. Either they don’t have the votes within their caucus or they don’t really want to do it. Nor did they do it in 2008 when they had the control of Congress. But they were able to pass huge spending bills. They have their priorities.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But the Democrats do have a majority in both the House and the Senate. Yet they don’t do it. Either they don’t have the votes within their caucus or they don’t really want to do it. Nor did they do it in 2008 when they had the control of Congress. But they were able to pass huge spending bills. They have their priorities.
Or they respect the filibuster..

Shaul

Premium Member
Democrats, and Republicans too, in the Senate still respect the filibuster. The filibuster makes it much harder to get some legislation passed but it also makes the government more stable. Just think of a the cost and turmoil of constantly changing major policies if one side ever passes anything.

I am not a fan of the filibuster but I can see that it does have value.
But if the Democrats really believed in the legislation they would try. At the least they would get clarity of where legislators stood. Maybe they don’t think the constituents would like it. Which says something.

Shaul

Premium Member
Or they respect the filibuster..
If they genuinely believed in the bill they would try regardless. They have for other things they wanted like the “Build Back Better”. Maybe they just believe in spending other people’s money more than abortion.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If they genuinely believed in the bill they would try regardless. They have for other things they wanted like the “Build Back Better”. Maybe they just believe in spending other people’s money more than abortion.
Why? To what purpose? Legislative time is valuable. They have a lot of problems to handle.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But if the Democrats really believed in the legislation they would try. At the least they would get clarity of where legislators stood. Maybe they don’t think the constituents would like it. Which says something.
You should pay more attention to current events. 61% of the population supports abortions with little to no limitations. In Democratic districts that number is going to be even higher. It is pretty much a given that the constituents would support that.

Suave

Simulated character
It seems to me Democratic Senator Joe Manchin is at fault for saving the filibuster as well as saving the Hyde Amendment, Hopefully, Manchin's realization of Justice Gorsuch and Justice Kavanaugh deception they would not overturn Roe vs Wade will help persuade Manchin to vote for simple majority rule of the Senate,

Last edited: