• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Onmipotence Paradox

Neale

Debonaire Rationale
If God (I'm gearing towards the Judeo-Christian version) is omnipotent, can He perform such an action that would limit his abilities to remain omnipotent?

In a metaphor, can God create a rock so heavy that even He could not lift it?

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
It is God's nature that he reveals himself in paradox.

Examples:

2 Cor. 12:9
He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Most gladly therefore I will rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest on me.

18 For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are dying, but to us who are saved it is the power of God.

19 For it is written, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, I will bring the discernment of the discerning to nothing."

20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the lawyer of this world? Hasn't God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

21 For seeing that in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom didn't know God, it was God's good pleasure through the foolishness of the preaching to save those who believe.

However in the case of God, the paradox is only a paradox to the observer, not the observed.

As to your questions, the various responses are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnipotence_paradox

Scott1

Neale said:
If God (I'm gearing towards the Judeo-Christian version) is omnipotent, can He perform such an action that would limit his abilities to remain omnipotent?

Ahh.... the tried and true (or is it tired and true) "paradox".

How about this: If you grant that God can "create a rock" I'll concede any point you make on the strength or lack-thereof for God to lift said rock.

Deal?

Scott

adilrockstar

Neale said:

The answer is no.

This question is an example of humans trying to uderstand God. We cannot, we are limited to our understanding of reality. God warns against this type of reasoning.

Neale

Debonaire Rationale
If it is indeed God's will or "plan" that we have free will, and since he is omnipotent, he would know all future thoughts and actions; therefore human logic and philosophy isn't invalid or foolish by any means vis a vis God's "will/plan," it just doesn't jive with humanity's faith-based arguments. Q.E.D.

adilrockstar

Neale said:
If it is indeed God's will or "plan" that we have free will, and since he is omnipotent, he would know all future thoughts and actions; therefore human logic and philosophy isn't invalid or foolish by any means vis a vis God's "will/plan," it just doesn't jive with humanity's faith-based arguments. Q.E.D.

You asked for our opinions. I provided mine.

God Bless

Adil

Neale

Debonaire Rationale
adilrockstar said:
The answer is no.

This question is an example of humans trying to uderstand God. We cannot, we are limited to our understanding of reality. God warns against this type of reasoning.

If the answer is no, then God is not omnipotent.

There is very little actual human logic involved, when it was wrote that God was all-powerful, how can that be misconstrued? God warns against using logic to better understand religion? I suppose you can't herd sheep with reason - you have to allow for a small margin of error if you're going to rely on people's faith to form arguments.

It's like Penn and Teller said, "If you argue 'faith,' we can't touch you."

Scott1

Neale said:
If it is indeed God's will or "plan" that we have free will, and since he is omnipotent,

How do you know "God's will or plan"?

How do you know God is omnipotent or why should this be necessary?

Care to answer my first post?

Neale

Debonaire Rationale
adilrockstar said:
You asked for our opinions. I provided mine.

God Bless

Adil

I know, and I very much appreciate it and am enjoying the discussion. :) I'm not intending to be malicious, but I am glad this sparked some debate!

adilrockstar

Neale said:
If the answer is no, then God is not omnipotent.

There is very little actual human logic involved, when it was wrote that God was all-powerful, how can that be misconstrued? God warns against using logic to better understand religion? I suppose you can't herd sheep with reason - you have to allow for a small margin of error if you're going to rely on people's faith to form arguments.

It's like Penn and Teller said, "If you argue 'faith,' we can't touch you."

Guess you have it all figured out then.

God Bless

Adil

Neale

Debonaire Rationale
Scott1 said:
How about this: If you grant that God can "create a rock" I'll concede any point you make on the strength or lack-thereof for God to lift said rock.

If God is omnipotent, all-powerful, etc. and can create such miracles as raising the dead, healing disease, creating locusts/frogs/plagues/universe/etc., then is it without his ability to create an inanimate object such as a rock?

nutshell

IT is not for man to know the mysteries of God. You're attempting to define God in human terms and that's not entirely possible.

Scott1

Neale said:
If God is omnipotent, all-powerful, etc. and can create such miracles as raising the dead, healing disease, creating locusts/frogs/plagues/universe/etc., then is it without his ability to create an inanimate object such as a rock?
Hehe... I thought you would dodge the offer.

Have fun with your thread.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Neale said:

Sure he can.

He makes a rock that weighs 500 grams, then he incarnates as an ant and cannot lift it. After the ant has finished preaching to his brethren and is crucified, He reincarnates as a dog which can easily lift the rock in its mouth.

Done and done.

Random

To me, Omnipotent simply means "unbound" or maybe "limitless": sure God could create a rock he couldn't lift, but he could abandon that limitation @ any time and subsequently lift the rock if He wanted to.

Fluffy

A fool
To me, Omnipotent simply means "unbound" or maybe "limitless": sure God could create a rock he couldn't lift, but he could abandon that limitation @ any time and subsequently lift the rock if He wanted to.
Can God create a rock that he could never lift?

If God is omnipotent and we are using "omnipotent" in the unrelaxed sense then God is able to do the impossible. That would include being able to do things that he is unable to do such as lifting objects that he can't lift.

If God is omnipotent in the relaxed sense then God can simply do everything that is possible. God can create a rock that he can never lift. This does not restrict his omnipotence.