• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only Unhappy People Need Religion?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Or can you be happy without religion?

If not your happiness, then how is your religious belief benefiting you?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Religion isn't meant to benefit me or make me happy all the time, imo, it's meant to provide a structure around spirituality. I've come to the conclusion that there is a God and there is some kind of Truth, and now I'm looking for what seems the most appropriate way for me to approach that God and Truth, with ritual, service, prayer etc, in a systematic way that appeals to me, as that's how I best function.

LightofTruth

Mine started out with the idea that God could possibly help me in certain areas of my life.
That's still true today, many years later, along with the added belief in His promise of eternal life. That keeps me.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think it depends on the person whether they are happy with or without religion
This has certainly been my experience, as I could never see any correlation. I also don't take personal testimony as having any validity at all with regard to measuring a person's happiness. Saying, "I'm happy," doesn't mean you're happy. There is a lot of pride involved. And yet, that is probably the most reliable measure we have on it, this incredibly subjective topic.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes. I can't say I'm completely happy. Getting more intuned with my family, I get feelings I should reconcile some relationships in order to connect more. So, there's a lot of listening. Maybe more I'm more focused on who I am by my family since I never really got that growing up.

As for religion, most people I know says their practice changed their lives. I guess I haven't gotten that far to trust the experience but everyone should have some fulfilling moment before we go. Religion or not, I don't feel that's the point.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Some people can be happy without religion, others can't.

But for the last part, my religion isn't meant to make me "happy", that's a fleeting feeling. It's meant to provide purpose and comfort.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I'm not speaking for myself, but in my community there are poor and marginalized people whose lives are so hard they need religion to get through it. It doesn't make them happy, but it helps them cope in times of trouble, which is nearly all the time. I think happiness comes after basic needs are met. This will probably be wildly different for people in different circumstances.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Hmmm... I think I'm at a point in my life now where I'm happy with or without it. It doesn't really influence the state of my happiness, but at one time it did in the past.

That said, I've seen plenty of people on desperate situations turn to religion for help. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but it is an observation of mine.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That all depends upon what kind of happiness you are referring to.
I could have a lot more personal happiness without religion but I would be sacrificing my spiritual happiness. It's a tradeoff.
I have the satisfaction of knowing I am doing what God wills instead of following my own personal desires.
I believe that acting according to God's will will pay off at the end of this life, although that is not my primary motivation.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Hmmm... I think I'm at a point in my life now where I'm happy with or without it. It doesn't really influence the state of my happiness, but at one time it did in the past.

That said, I've seen plenty of people in desperate situations turn to religion for help. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but it is an observation of mine.

True in what I've seen. Unhappy people turn to religion. For happy people, other than a cultural obligation, does religion have something to offer them?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
@Rival @Conscious thoughts @LightofTruth @The Hammer ,

If all of your material needs were met. Nice house, nice car, nice spouse, freedom to choose whatever you wanted to work on or to not work, could we get rid of religion?
Or do you think people would still need religion?
I think that some people would still need religion whereas others would not, as evidenced by the answers on this thread.

Now, if you ask whether humanity as a whole needs religion, I would give you a different answer.
What people 'believe' they need or don't need is not necessarily what they need or don't need. ;)
I believe that God alone knows what humans need even if they don't know...

It makes logical sense that if God exists and created humans, God would knows what humans need, because God would know the purpose for which we were created.
Similarly, if scientists create a vaccine for Covid-19 they know the purpose for which it is being created.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That all depends upon what kind of happiness you are referring to.
I could have a lot more personal happiness without religion but I would be sacrificing my spiritual happiness. It's a tradeoff.

What is spiritual happiness? Is it more than peace of mind?

I have the satisfaction of knowing I am doing what God wills instead of following my own personal desires.

Is there something wrong with your desires?

I believe that acting according to God's will will pay off at the end of this life, although that is not my primary motivation.

If you find out that this one life is all we get, would that make you unhappy?