• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only one prophet at the time???

gnostic

The Lost One
I would like to quote from Pastek...who quoted from a Hadith, this:

And also because of many hadiths which are ignored by the Ahmadis.

No more prophet/messenger :

The Prophet said, "The Israelis used to be ruled and guided by prophets: Whenever a prophet died, another would take over his place. There will be no prophet after me, but there will be Caliphs who will increase in number."

http://sunnah.com/bukhari/60/122

I like to focus this thread on the part that I had highlighted in red:

Bukhari said:
Whenever a prophet died, another would take over his place.

It is what Muhammad supposedly taught.

Does this mean that only one person can be a prophet at any given length of time?

Or to rephrase my question: that no two or more prophets can serve at the same time?

If yes, then do you believe to be so?

These are not just questions for Muslims, but for all, including Christians and Jews.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
[QUOTE="Bukhari]Whenever a prophet died, another would take over his place.
Does this mean that only one person can be a prophet at any given length of time?
Or to rephrase my question: that no two or more prophets can serve at the same time?
These are not just questions for Muslims, but for all, including Christians and Jews.[/QUOTE]

Paarsurrey says:

Do you believe in prophets/messengers of God? If yes, please name them. Will you? Please
Regards

gnostic

The Lost One
Paarsurrey says:

Do you believe in prophets/messengers of God? If yes, please name them. Will you? Please

Why are you doing that, paarsurrey?

I'm asking questions in this new thread, but you are asking more questions. Don't answer questions with questions of your own. You are trying to change the topic...and it's rude.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Why are you doing that, paarsurrey?
I'm asking questions in this new thread, but you are asking more questions. Don't answer questions with questions of your own. You are trying to change the topic...and it's rude.
One shouldn't be angry. If one doesn't believe in prophets/messengers, one won't understand. It won't change the topic, rest assured.
Regards

gnostic

The Lost One
One shouldn't be angry. If one doesn't believe in prophets/messengers, one won't understand. It won't change the topic, rest assured.
Regards
If you are not answer my questions from the OP, then why reply at all. Your reply has already changed the subject.

If you have questions unrelated to the thread, then start another thread instead of derailing this one.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Moses and Aaron were both prophets at the same time and Jesus and John the Baptiste too.
I think Muhammad said that when one die there's right away an other one, not that it can't be many at the same time.

That was said in other part of Quran 3 prophets were sent in the same time :

36.13 Coin for them a similitude: The people of the city when those sent (from Allah) came unto them;

36.14 When We sent unto them twain, and they denied them both, so We reinforced them with a third, and they said: Lo! we have been sent unto you.

Kirran

Premium Member
So presumably this would mean that there'd always be the same amount of Prophets. If one died, another would take their place indefinitely, so there'd be a set number on the Earth. Unless, of course, Allah also sent Prophets to peoples on other worlds. In which case there'd be a set number in the Universe totally.

If there are other worlds, I hope Muhammad went to them also, otherwise they kind of missed out on the Final Message.

Tomorrows_Child

These are not just questions for Muslims, but for all, including Christians and Jews.

The hadeeths is speaking about the immense number of messengers that were sent to the Israelites, more so than any other group in history, if I'm not mistaken. And then Prophet Muhammad PBUH goes on to say tha the is the last of such messengers of God, and there will be none after him. What's confusing about it?

Also, Prophets did not come one after another in every instance, there are stories of various prophets, among various communities, at the same time.

Tomorrows_Child

So presumably this would mean that there'd always be the same amount of Prophets. If one died, another would take their place indefinitely, so there'd be a set number on the Earth. Unless, of course, Allah also sent Prophets to peoples on other worlds. In which case there'd be a set number in the Universe totally.

If there are other worlds, I hope Muhammad went to them also, otherwise they kind of missed out on the Final Message.

Prophet Muhammah PBUH didn't go to them, they came to him, as he was sent as a mercy to the whole of creation, not just mankind. It is noted that delegations of Djinn came to the Prophet PBUH and accepted Islam.

gnostic

The Lost One
Moses and Aaron were both prophets at the same time and Jesus and John the Baptiste too.
I think Muhammad said that when one die there's right away an other one, not that it can't be many at the same time.

36.13 Coin for them a similitude: The people of the city when those sent (from Allah) came unto them;

36.14 When We sent unto them twain, and they denied them both, so We reinforced them with a third, and they said: Lo! we have been sent unto you.

Thanks for clarifying what you had quoted, Pastek.

In the other thread, YmirGF stated that it was "Muslims only" one. I had actually wanted to ask you the questions in that thread.

Yes, I am aware of Moses and Aaron being prophets at the same time, because of the Exodus, but weren't sure of the Muslims' position on it.

gnostic

The Lost One
In the Exodus, their sister, Miriam was also (female) prophet, so there were 3 of them in that generation.

As I understand it, some Muslims accept that women can become prophetesses, but other Muslims don't accept them. But that's a different topic.

gnostic

The Lost One
Regarding your quote, Pastek:

Do you know who are these 3 prophets that the Qur'an referring to, which he sent to unnamed city?

In one (Muhsin Khan) of the translations, it state that the city was Antioch (Antakiya), but it is given in square brackets, so it is probably just speculation, because no other translations that I have found indicate it was Antioch.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I agree with what you have colored in magenta, but it will not be understood by the OP. Will the OP?
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
It is not mentioned in Quran that there cannot be more than one prophets at a time. It is mentioned that there is not a nation/community/people to whom the Warners have not been sent by God, whatever the region/country/continent.
Regards

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Regarding your quote, Pastek:

Do you know who are these 3 prophets that the Qur'an referring to, which he sent to unnamed city?

In one (Muhsin Khan) of the translations, it state that the city was Antioch (Antakiya), but it is given in square brackets, so it is probably just speculation, because no other translations that I have found indicate it was Antioch.

That's why i have found from Ibn Kathir Tafsir about the 3 messengers :

(...) it was the city of Antioch, in which there was a king called Antiochus the son of Antiochus the son of Antiochus, who used to worship idols. Allah sent to him three Messengers, whose names were Sadiq, Saduq and Shalum, and he disbelieved in them. (...)
Some of the Imams were not sure that it was Antioch, as we shall see below after telling the rest of the story, if Allah wills.

`We supported and strengthened them with a third Messenger. (...), "The names of the first two Messengers were Sham`un and Yuhanna, and the name of the third was Bulus, and the city was Antioch (Antakiyah).

Then it also said concerning an other person (not messenger) of the town :

"The people of the city resolved to kill their Messengers, then a man came running to them from the farthest part of the town, i.e., to help them against his people.

They said, his name was Habib, and he used to work with ropes. He was a sickly man who suffered from leprosy, and he was very charitable, giving half of his earnings in charity (...).(...) from Ibn `Abbas, may Allah be pleased with him, that the name of the man mentioned in Ya Sin was Habib An-Najjar, and he was killed by his people.

Habib sounds arabic but the names of the prophets not really.

http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1491&Itemid=92

gnostic

The Lost One
That's why i have found from Ibn Kathir Tafsir about the 3 messengers :

(...) it was the city of Antioch, in which there was a king called Antiochus the son of Antiochus the son of Antiochus, who used to worship idols. Allah sent to him three Messengers, whose names were Sadiq, Saduq and Shalum, and he disbelieved in them. (...)
Some of the Imams were not sure that it was Antioch, as we shall see below after telling the rest of the story, if Allah wills.

`We supported and strengthened them with a third Messenger. (...), "The names of the first two Messengers were Sham`un and Yuhanna, and the name of the third was Bulus, and the city was Antioch (Antakiyah).

Then it also said concerning an other person (not messenger) of the town :

"The people of the city resolved to kill their Messengers, then a man came running to them from the farthest part of the town, i.e., to help them against his people.

They said, his name was Habib, and he used to work with ropes. He was a sickly man who suffered from leprosy, and he was very charitable, giving half of his earnings in charity (...).(...) from Ibn `Abbas, may Allah be pleased with him, that the name of the man mentioned in Ya Sin was Habib An-Najjar, and he was killed by his people.

Habib sounds arabic but the names of the prophets not really.

http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1491&Itemid=92

This is why I don't like the Qur'an because as demonstrated in the 36:13-14, it is a rather vague and ambiguous verses, with no names of the 3 prophets an no name to the city.

If a Muslim required a Tafsir or Sunnah or any other literature to help explain what the Qur'an is saying, then the Qur'an is not self-explanatory.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
This is why I don't like the Qur'an because as demonstrated in the 36:13-14, it is a rather vague and ambiguous verses, with no names of the 3 prophets an no name to the city.
If a Muslim required a Tafsir or Sunnah or any other literature to help explain what the Qur'an is saying, then the Qur'an is not self-explanatory.
You are simply wrong here. Please
Regards

gnostic

The Lost One
I agree with what you have colored in magenta, but it will not be understood by the OP. Will the OP?
Pastek answered me directly and I understood what he was saying.

You didn't answer my OP questions.

Instead you try to change the subject, by asking questions that are not related to the OP.

You ask why I get mad at you? You wrote:

You are wrong. I get angry because you are being evasive, but you blame me for not being a "believer" for my misunderstanding. You didn't bother to answer my OP.

Being a believer or not a believer is not my problem. My problem is with you. If you had bother to answer my OP, then I wouldn't be angry with you.

Pastek took time to explain. I'm satisfied with his reply.

You didn't answer my questions; instead you try to shift the topic by blaming me for not being a believer.

And guess what, paarsurrey? You wrote 6 posts in this new thread, but you still haven't answer a single question from the OP. The only one to blame is yourself, paarsurrey for being evasive and for refusing to answer simple questions.