• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only one Messiah?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
This post is gonna reject Islamic, Christian and Jewish beliefs. Maybe the Jewish beliefs is more receptive to this post because the Messiah is something that was used in the Tanakh to refer to others as well, but Muslims and Christians generally view the Messiah as one single person, Jesus the Messiah. This might offend Muslims, but try to take it as a literary study and an opening of a can of worms as an endeavour, not as a rejection of the faith.

Reading the Qur'an Jesus referred to as "Messiah", but the Quran refers to many people as Nabi and Rasool but it is accepted that there were many Nabi's and many Rasools. But how about the Messiah? Is there only one?

Lets take the Qumran documents. The Essenes believed there would be 3 messiahs. I understand that the Essenes are an isolated people who compiled their own traditions and maybe the DSR has some representations of it, yet they believed in 3 messiahs.

Thus on what true basis do we believe that there is only one person called the Messiah? This question goes out to all. In this post I bracket faith and open scripture for interpretation and exegesis.

Peace.

John 21:15 alludes/implies many

revelation 14:1 too

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
This post is gonna reject Islamic, Christian and Jewish beliefs. Maybe the Jewish beliefs is more receptive to this post because the Messiah is something that was used in the Tanakh to refer to others as well, but Muslims and Christians generally view the Messiah as one single person, Jesus the Messiah. This might offend Muslims, but try to take it as a literary study and an opening of a can of worms as an endeavour, not as a rejection of the faith.

Reading the Qur'an Jesus referred to as "Messiah", but the Quran refers to many people as Nabi and Rasool but it is accepted that there were many Nabi's and many Rasools. But how about the Messiah? Is there only one?

Lets take the Qumran documents. The Essenes believed there would be 3 messiahs. I understand that the Essenes are an isolated people who compiled their own traditions and maybe the DSR has some representations of it, yet they believed in 3 messiahs.

Thus on what true basis do we believe that there is only one person called the Messiah? This question goes out to all. In this post I bracket faith and open scripture for interpretation and exegesis.

Peace.

Most ancient religions make cultural egocentric assertion that their belief defines who is and is not the a 'Messiah.' Christianity makes the strongest cultural claim that Jesus Christ is the only 'Messiah.' The Old Testament gives testimony of more than one 'Messiah.'

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Christianity makes the strongest cultural claim that Jesus Christ is the only 'Messiah.'
That makes perfect sense, because they evangelize and proselytize
Would be not smart to say there will be more than one Messiah
They have to prove it will be a Christian Messiah
Or else they have to share Messiah
With other Religions which
is bad evangelizing

Knowing the above fact, it also makes sense, to question such a claim

firedragon

Veteran Member
What does Messiah or annointed one mean? What characteristics Messiah is supposed to have? Why other Prophets in Quran are not called Messiah, and only Jesus was called Messiah, and how Jesus was different from other Prophets due to being Messiah. I think answer to these questions, will make things clear, with regards to your OP.

Quran says we are not to make any distinction. Thats what the book says.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

Peace.
I have no belief that only one man could be a .....Mentor

and Jesus called himself brother and fellow servant
to us

maybe we are not His equal
but if we live as brothers......are we not the same?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
but the "anointed one" referenced as Davidic and Aaronic in Floregium and Genesis commentary etc as Branch of David, Messiah of Israel, Holy Messiah, etc.

The Annointed of God are the Messiah I also speak of.

I personally see Muhammad as one of God's Annointed Ones, or a Messiah.

The end of Ages Messiah is the One I see was the purpose of all the Revelations given by all the previous Annointed.

The Quran mentions all the Names of God and I see there has een Messiah’s that have come in all those Names and that the Later day Messiah was to be the Embodiment of all those Names.

This to me is hinted to in the Bible when Jesus Who was Annointed (Christ) in the Station of the Son said, The Father is Greater than I, or I do nothing but what the Father tells me to do, or the Spirit of Truth will guide us to all Truth.

It was not that Jesus or Muhammad were not capable of being that Message, it was that God Annointed them to give the Message they were to give, in the age it was given.

The latter day Messiah, Christ, Manifestation, whatever we choose to call God’s chosen representative was to bring God's Kingdom to earth as it is in heaven, to all people as One Fold and One Shepherd under One God.

This topic is massive. Especially when we consider that many Christs have come to guide us and come in all the Nations around the world in a capacity give of the One God.

That is how I see it. I see it is a very important topic, as the oneness of humanity depends upon the way we do embrace this topic.

Regards Tony

rosends

Peace.
I'm confused. The title of the thread is "WAS there only one messiah" and it references the past. In the Jewish bible, more than one person was called a messiah -- kings and high priests, prophets and Cyrus.

The question body, though, says "that there IS only one person called the Messiah" in the present tense.

In terms of Jewish thought, I think that two ideas are being conflated: the historical "people who were anointed and thus had the title "one who is anointed" " and the "future king whose arrival will signal a universal shift."

In terms of ther second concept, Judaism has an idea of a single future messianic leader, but some sages discuss the possibility of a precursor, another future messianic leader.

Terry Sampson

another future messianic leader

Screenshot_2020-08-25 rabbi schneerson - Google Search.png

?

rosends

No. That's Rabbi Schneerson z"tl.

There is an idea in Judaism that in each generation there is someone who could be the future messianic leader if the time is right. R. Schneerson DID say that in each generation, there is a leader who is tantamount to the Messiah for that generation (but only that generation) in his leadership.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Peace.

I believe He says He is.

John 4:25 The woman said to him, “I know that Messiah is coming (he who is called Christ). When he comes, he will tell us all things.” 26 Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am he.”

Muffled

Jesus in me
Fair enough.

I hope we did not miss out already on the 3 supposedly to come Messiahs in the past 2000 years. That would be a pity.

I don't know where they got three from. I have been told of two. 1. The suffering servant 2. the rescuer

I believe in both cases it is Jesus 1. To suffer and die for our salvation 2. To rescue Israel with a fiery sword at Armageddon.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I don’t see a single verse in the Tanakh, NT or Quran as unambiguously supporting there being only one person called the Messiah.

I believe that does not eliminate the possibility of one Messiah. The null hypothesis tells you nothing.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Good to know. The Koran gets more trustworthy IMO, not making such a claim

First brother you must understand any books own standard first rather than imposing your own standard upon it and saying "I trust the book only if it abides by my personal standard".

First you should understand the standard the book is setting for itself.

Nevertheless, this is not about trust. Its just about what books are saying for learning purposes. Not to make religious decisions.