• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only Atheists can be Truly Moral

Ceridwen018

The Voice of Reason,

You've brought up a very good point. I think 'charitable works' was thrown out there as the sum of morality just to keep things simpler...no matter what we'd define as 'true morality', the mechanics of the conversation wouldn't change.

That is a very interesting question though...what is moral? If the mod's don't mind, I certainly don't mind going off on a bit of a tangent.

Moral

Of or pertaining to the principles of right and wrong.

Problem here, as the Voice suggested, is that what is considered to be right and wrong can, has and will always be argued. For instance, the practice of polygamy. It used to be widely accepted...but now it is considered to be immoral even by most religious groups who believe in the Bible whose pages are full of patriarchs and such with multiple wives.

Sidenote: it's interesting that you don't hear nearly as much about women with multiple husbands. This in itself may be a glimpse into the nature of more than half the humans in existence....namely women. Perhaps the majority of which would prefer to have only one mate as opposed to the long history of men determined not to be nailed down to only one wife.

It would appear to me (and this is merely a conjecture not based on actual statistics) that if the whole world were to vote on the morality of polygamy, that polygamy would have a good chance of losing the vote. For now, let us assume that this would be the case.

Then, if the whole world were to vote and the majority was against polygamy.......would that make polygamy itself immoral? To address this issue properly one would have to find what lies in the heart of the matter....freedom of choice. (Please keep in mind during these discussions that I am in no way an advocate of polygamy and am quite content with one wife).

I wouldn't mind someone else to take over here, my post is getting long....again.

Ceridwen018

You're right--morality is greatly based on the times and current society etc. The base argument of this thread though was to measure which 'state of mind' is more moral to practice morality out of. The most moral state of mind doesn't seem to change. Are you doing something because you have to or because you think it will benefit yoursefl personally, or are you doing it because you want to benefit society and aren't expecting anything in return, etc.

hadeka

yeah
i believe that:
the thing that make us think for heaven, will also make us think for hell.

What that means?

If i always doing a good works, just for the heaven, this will make me not to do any bad works, just for the hell.

so there will be fear, fear of hell.

so i believe that we must do everything which is good, just for GOD,,,,because GOD forbidden the bad things.

GOD didnt forbid bad things ,for play.....................no, GOD forbid everything that it is realy bad by nature, by moral, by laws ....etc.

and if we did every good things, just for GOD, there will be no fear of hell.

So, all we must do is: Do every good think, just for GOD, for GOD's love and ask him for the heaven.
because, if we did that ,,,we are loving the perfect being who created the heaven and the hell
but if we did good works, just for heaven, this will not be enough fair for us to GOD.

We must do every good work for the GOD's love, and if we did, he will give us the heaven.

But if, we did the good works, just for heaven, i believe that this not fair.

Because, let me ask you, if GOD asked us to pray and these stuff but never told us about anything about heaven and hell ......will we do anything that he asked us to do ???

i dont think so.

I hope you can get what i mean

Thank you

Hadeka.

Shattered Glass

I am not an athiest i am an experienced practitioner of Nocturnal Witchcraft (for the record). I believe that the belief that athiests cannot be moral people is quite bluntly, absolutly idiotic. People need to realize that there is a fine line between spirituality and morality and that they barely effect each other(if at all)

Ceridwen018

That's a very good point. You don't have to be 'spiritual' or have 'god on your side' to be a good and moral person...not that Atheists aren't spiritual, mind you!