• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Online platform "GAB".

Ellen Brown

Apparently Microsoft is set to give the site Gab a spanking because of Anti Semitic comments. I've never heard of Gab.

My question is: It is common to hear comments about telling Muslims, and Hispanics to go home, so why is it not acceptable to tell Jews to go home? I don't tell anyone where to go. I am just confused about why things aren't more uniform.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
My question is: It is common to hear comments about telling Muslims, and Hispanics to go home, so why is it not acceptable to tell Jews to go home?
One might say:

x is common so why is y not common ... ?​

or

x is acceptable so why is y not acceptable ... ?​

but

x is common so why is y not acceptable ... ?​

is beyond broken.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
"Gab" was formed by some alt-right guy as a free speech platform after he and a bunch of other alt-right guys got banned from Twitter.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Apparently Microsoft is set to give the site Gab a spanking because of Anti Semitic comments. I've never heard of Gab.

My question is: It is common to hear comments about telling Muslims, and Hispanics to go home, so why is it not acceptable to tell Jews to go home? I don't tell anyone where to go. I am just confused about why things aren't more uniform.

I'd expect Jews would be quite capable of sticking up for themselves.

Ellen Brown

One might say:

x is common so why is y not common ... ?​

or

x is acceptable so why is y not acceptable ... ?​

but

x is common so why is y not acceptable ... ?​

is beyond broken.

It is not surprising that you would not correctly address this. I did not say it was acceptable to ME that anyone should be told to go home. What I did bluntly imply was that Muslims and Hispanics seem to have no voice. While if someone does the same thing to a Jew, the cry of outrage is like a black storm of indignation. I have no issue with treating Jews fairly and in love. We need to afford the same privilege to everyone.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
It's not OK to tell Muslims and others to go home.

I'm not down with the racist **** on any platform, but I still would defend anyone's right to say it. A real free speech absolutist like me doesn't accept concessions. I'm only against inciting violence / harm toward others in this realm. Everything else goes.

@Ellen Brown : I don't think moderating content in this case is Microsoft's job. They are an infrastructure provider, not the company offering the services. While there are racist comments and what not on Gab (well any social media really) I fail to see where it becomes acceptable to remove service to the website itself where the minority is posting those comments. (Racism isn't popular... bottom line, it's an extreme minority of posters.) Anyway, Gab does have a way to prevent you from seeing these types of comments... add the word "Jew" and "jew" to the self-filter and you never will see that stuff... It's like switching channels when you don't like what's on the TV. Gab's method of dealing with this is to self-censor what you do not like, not for them to do it to you. If the service providers understood how that worked, they probably would feel no need to take action. (Gab is the only social media platform that deals with this in this manner so it's pretty unique.)

This is also not the first time Gab has had problems like this - they had their DNS names jacked with because the provider of those services wanted objectionable content deleted. Gab isn't a racist site at all, it's individuals that are responsible. It's right in their ToS that comments that incite violence will be deleted and that you can be banned for it. That rule doesn't extend to hate or objectionable content, just inciting. Microsoft has nothing about hate speech in their terms of service either, so there is that. It's just an attempt to censor one of the only free speech bastions on the Internet based on the perception that only alt-right people go there. Of course, that notion is completely false...

Mindmaster

Premium Member
"Gab" was formed by some alt-right guy as a free speech platform after he and a bunch of other alt-right guys got banned from Twitter.

More like a Libertarian guy that got tired of seeing people getting banned, but w/e, lol. There is no over-riding political ideology on the platform other than a lack of lefties, but most of them don't come over because they actually can't make debate points and there is no moderation to save you from being thoroughly trashed. Lefties in on all platforms (including this one) generally try to win an argument with the moderation functions of the forum and simply doesn't work on Gab. :D

Gab admins do not interfere with conversations unless there is something illegal going on, violence is incited, someone is being doxxed, etc...

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
It is not surprising that you would not correctly address this. I did not say it was acceptable to ME that anyone should be told to go home. What I did bluntly imply was that Muslims and Hispanics seem to have no voice. While if someone does the same thing to a Jew, the cry of outrage is like a black storm of indignation. I have no issue with treating Jews fairly and in love. We need to afford the same privilege to everyone.
At heart, and I apologise for how this will sound, but Jews simply have better marketing and publicity. In the West, anyway. The reasons for this are many and varied, and certainly weren't always the case, but the fact is that Jewish persecution and harassment has a higher profile than other groups, mostly because they're the group we've longest recognised as so treated.

I theorise that any other group struggles for recognition because society only has so much attention to pay. This isn't a criticism of Jews or Judaism, but it does result in Jewish people getting their grievances addressed where other people don't.

Shad

Veteran Member

It's not uniform as you are assigning a group to something which isn't one nor are those groups targets for the same reasons by every individual.

Ellen Brown

At heart, and I apologise for how this will sound, but Jews simply have better marketing and publicity. In the West, anyway. The reasons for this are many and varied, and certainly weren't always the case, but the fact is that Jewish persecution and harassment has a higher profile than other groups, mostly because they're the group we've longest recognised as so treated.

I theorise that any other group struggles for recognition because society only has so much attention to pay. This isn't a criticism of Jews or Judaism, but it does result in Jewish people getting their grievances addressed where other people don't.

When I was young, "Six Million Jews Murdered" was drummed into us, and I've read of the US's National Guilt over turning boat loads of them away before WWII. Yes, England did the same, though I do not know about Canada. Over the years, I've met them that are really sweet and caring people, AND some that are self obsessed Asses.

Truth is that the Middle East has been greedily predatorized by the the west. A large part of slavery of Africans was/is by their fellow country men. At times, I am tempted to wonder if God cares about us at all, or what his purpose is, not that I would question his right or ability to do it.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
When I was young, "Six Million Jews Murdered" was drummed into us, and I've read of the US's National Guilt over turning boat loads of them away before WWII. Yes, England did the same, though I do not know about Canada. Over the years, I've met them that are really sweet and caring people, AND some that are self obsessed Asses.

Truth is that the Middle East has been greedily predatorized by the the west. A large part of slavery of Africans was/is by their fellow country men. At times, I am tempted to wonder if God cares about us at all, or what his purpose is, not that I would question his right or ability to do it.
I think the issue is something like "charity fatigue", I think they call it. You know how after you've given money to whatever worthy cause you can, firther requests just sort of become white noise you ignore? I think it's a similar phenomenon.

As for whether or not God cares for us, well, the argument is that these sorts of problems are created entirely by humans, and in giving us free will, God also gave us the consequences of our actions. I appreciate that that might not feel like a great argument, but it makes sense to me.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
More like a Libertarian guy that got tired of seeing people getting banned, but w/e, lol. There is no over-riding political ideology on the platform other than a lack of lefties, but most of them don't come over because they actually can't make debate points and there is no moderation to save you from being thoroughly trashed. Lefties in on all platforms (including this one) generally try to win an argument with the moderation functions of the forum and simply doesn't work on Gab. :D

Gab admins do not interfere with conversations unless there is something illegal going on, violence is incited, someone is being doxxed, etc...

What debate points in particular would you claim that "lefties" are being "thoroughly trashed" by, and must rely on moderation to silence? I'm genuinely curious, and I hope that it's not just pigeon poop on the chessboard like usual.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Yeah, the Holocaust was a great marketing shtick.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Yeah, the Holocaust was a great marketing shtick.

I don't think that, but I also realize it's absolutely nothing compared to the people murdered in communist regimes or in theocratic countries in Africa/Middle East.