• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Onion recall

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Onions built the bloody pyramids!

And they're really yummy -- especially if you learn to caramelize them. Um, um um! Toast, a little ancient cheddar and some caramelized onion jam on top --- my, my, can't be beat.

Well, take them back to the pyramids, maybe they can build some more!

I can't do the texture. Nope, nope. Too 'wormy'.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The only place for onions is in the garbage, anyways.

Right, @Shadow Wolf ?

Well, take them back to the pyramids, maybe they can build some more!

I can't do the texture. Nope, nope. Too 'wormy'.

Yup. Nasty things of hideous texture and repulsive taste. Onions should just cease to exist. It would be for the best.
Gracious, are all you people mad? Most of the world couldn't even cook without onions. The very heart and soul of cuisines everywhere on the planet!

Get over whatever your parents or guardians did to you when were young:
  • fish sticks don't invalidate salmon, or sea bass, or bluefin tuna
  • spinach mush cooked by mother doesn't make a quick steam with malt vinegar and a dash of nutmeg an abomination
  • decent calves liver doesn't have to be covered in breadcrumbs and cooked until you can re-sole your shoes - a gentle saute, a trifle rare -- brilliant!
  • brussels sprouts have been ruined around the world just because nobody thought they should retain a bit of "tooth," and maybe get a little char in butter
All food can be wonderful -- you just have to treat it properly. And (in America, especially) most of your mothers never taught you how to do that.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Gracious, are all you people mad? Most of the world couldn't even cook without onions. The very heart and soul of cuisines everywhere on the planet!

Get over whatever your parents or guardians did to you when were young:
  • fish sticks don't invalidate salmon, or sea bass, or bluefin tuna
  • spinach mush cooked by mother doesn't make a quick steam with malt vinegar and a dash of nutmeg an abomination
  • decent calves liver doesn't have to be covered in breadcrumbs and cooked until you can re-sole your shoes - a gentle saute, a trifle rare -- brilliant!
  • brussels sprouts have been ruined around the world just because nobody thought they should retain a bit of "tooth," and maybe get a little char in butter
All food can be wonderful -- you just have to treat it properly. And (in America, especially) most of your mothers never taught you how to do that.

Yeah, I know they're everywhere. Can't stand 'em. I tried. I tried different varieties, different methods... finally one of the men in the Buddhist group I was attending said "I think you need to accept you don't like onions." He set me free.

My mother did the kindest thing she could for me; at 12, she refused to cook for me anymore. I went vegetarian, and in protest, this was the route she went. I still occasionally thank her. I had to learn to cook for myself, and it opened up new doors for me. My recipes as a kid weren't too intricate, but I learned the basics young(and I realized if I put green food coloring in my cakes and told my sisters they were moldy they wouldn't eat them). Today, my kitchen is my sanctuary, and I am well aware of the popularity and necessity of onions in some regions. Occasionally I find a recipe in which they can't be omitted, and then I substitute the white part of a leek. (That's why I think its the texture I can't tolerate.)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yeah, I know they're everywhere. Can't stand 'em. I tried. I tried different varieties, different methods... finally one of the men in the Buddhist group I was attending said "I think you need to accept you don't like onions." He set me free.

My mother did the kindest thing she could for me; at 12, she refused to cook for me anymore. I went vegetarian, and in protest, this was the route she went. I still occasionally thank her. I had to learn to cook for myself, and it opened up new doors for me. My recipes as a kid weren't too intricate, but I learned the basics young(and I realized if I put green food coloring in my cakes and told my sisters they were moldy they wouldn't eat them). Today, my kitchen is my sanctuary, and I am well aware of the popularity and necessity of onions in some regions. Occasionally I find a recipe in which they can't be omitted, and then I substitute the white part of a leek. (That's why I think its the texture I can't tolerate.)
What kind of cooking can you do without onions? They are at the heart of almost any sauce. In Indian curries they are a must. Mexican food, hard to live without them And don't forget The Holy Trinity!

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
What kind of cooking can you do without onions? They are at the heart of almost any sauce. In Indian curries they are a must. Mexican food, hard to live without them And don't forget The Holy Trinity!

I don't get any complaints. :) I just skip 'em, or substitute with leek whites, depending on the recipe.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't get any complaints. :) I just skip 'em, or substitute with leek whites, depending on the recipe.
Interesting. Leeks are in the same family. So I can see how they would work. I wonder why you can eat leeks but not onions.

It could be because onions can be rough on the eyes etc. I have a few tricks if crying is a problem. I can pretty much eliminate that.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting. Leeks are in the same family. So I can see how they would work. I wonder why you can eat leeks but not onions.

It could be because onions can be rough on the eyes etc. I have a few tricks if crying is a problem. I can pretty much eliminate that.

I think its the texture. The texture is much different. :)

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
That is true. Though in sauces I do not notice that. Sometimes I will make a roast with good sized chunks of onions and the texture is noticeable there.

I tolerate them in some restaurant dishes(that can't be ordered without), but I'm finding I don't like restaurants in general like I used to and prefer to cook for myself. :) I wonder if that's partially why...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I tolerate them in some restaurant dishes(that can't be ordered without), but I'm finding I don't like restaurants in general like I used to and prefer to cook for myself. :) I wonder if that's partially why...
Could be. As my cooking skills have improved I am not as impressed by restaurant food as I used to be.