• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Onion Chopping Technique

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I use the same technique for cubing aubergines/eggplants.

That was interesting about the root. I did not know that's where the onion vapors come from.

I find that the onion vapors breathed through the nose activate the tear ducts. If you don't want the tears to come while cutting onions, don't breathe through your nose.
The vapors come from everywhere, anytime you release the cellular contents by cutting or chopping you get vapors.
The 'vapors' chemically react with the lachrymal fluid (tear fluid) to form formaldehyde -- an irritant. Your eyes water in an effort to flush the irritant out of your eyes.
Been doing this for years.

And no one has said it yet so I will. Gordon Ramsay is the GOAT!!!
No, you probably mean Gordon Ramsey cooked a goat. That would seem more likely. :rolleyes:

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Useful for many things. I think in my case it might turn into one more thing I rarely use if its hard to clean.

It's not too bad if you evade carrots, for whatever reason they pulverize and stain the unit. Everything else comes right out with a little water. We chop anything but carrots around here, and those I just buy pre-cut. :D