• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Onion Chopping Technique

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep, been doing that for years. It was a tip from Julia Child. :) Of course, it doesn't stop your eyes from watering. :(

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Yep I do the same, the important thing is the knife,it needs to be sharp, you could use a mezzaluna instead but for Indian curry I make an onion puree in the blender.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep I do the same, the important thing is the knife,it needs to be sharp, you could use a mezzaluna instead but for Indian curry I make an onion puree in the blender.

I learned to make a curry base in quantity and store (freeze it). I take canned tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, throw them all in the blender or food processor and puree the crap out of it. Then I pour it into 2-cup plastic containers to freeze, refrigerate or use immediately. I've found that for the amounts I cook, 1 cup of curry base is perfect. When I told the Indian ladies at work they made me an honorary amma (mother). :D

My typical Saturday afternoon cooking attire nowadays:

pink-net-embroidered-saree-designer-bahu-eba1d73c-product.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I learned to make a curry base in quantity and store (freeze it). I take canned tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, throw them all in the blender or food processor and puree the crap out of it. Then I pour it into 2-cup plastic containers to freeze, refrigerate or use immediately. I've found that for the amounts I cook, 1 cup of curry base is perfect. When I told the Indian ladies at work they made me an honorary amma (mother). :D

View attachment 25031

I add turmeric and sometimes caraway seeds and cumin seeds but I toast them before putting then in a pestle and mortar.

Daemon Sophic

I’ve done the same or similar for many years, but I chop off the ends first, then mince up to my fingernails/fingertips. (knock on wood I haven’t cut myself yet).

As for the tears. I put my chopping board next to my stove, where I turn on the fan. No tears!
I’ve also heard that if you burn a candle next to the cutting board, it will prevent tearing up.....but I’ve never used that technique.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I add turmeric and sometimes caraway seeds and cumin seeds but I toast them before putting then in a pestle and mortar.

I add seasonings only when I'm actually making the dish. I was told that since not every recipe calls for the same seasonings, adding seasonings to the puree can change the taste of the dish. But I also toast the seeds and curry leaves before adding them to the dish. It's almost a requirement to temper them, since that releases the oils, and of course gives a toasty flavor.

One word of advice... don't try to toast powdered spices. :eek: I added red chili powder to my tempering. It took not a millisecond before it burned and turned the whole house into what looked like an opium den with all the smoke, and me and the dogs coughing. I turned on every fan and opened every door and window. It was awful. My Indian coworkers laughed at me when I told them. :D

A Vestigial Mote

Yep, been doing that for years. It was a tip from Julia Child. :) Of course, it doesn't stop your eyes from watering. :(
The eye-watering problem has an easy fix. Point a fan at the yourself/the onion/general area while cutting it up. It is inhalation of the concentrated fumes that gets you. No fumes in your nasal cavity (connected to eyes/nose/throat), no stinging.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

View attachment 25031

Everybody looks good in sari.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The eye-watering problem has an easy fix. Point a fan at the yourself/the onion/general area while cutting it up. It is inhalation of the concentrated fumes that gets you. No fumes in your nasal cavity (connected to eyes/nose/throat), no stinging.

Hmmm..I've never tried that.
I tend to top and tail the onions, the important thing being to discard the ends immediately. There is a higher concentration of the acid held there. Actually, I think it's only one end of the onion, but I do both since I can never remember which.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
That was interesting about the root. I did not know that's where the onion vapors come from.

I find that the onion vapors breathed through the nose activate the tear ducts. If you don't want the tears to come while cutting onions, don't breathe through your nose.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
cut the ends off
cut in half between the two ends

set the flat to the board.....cut down from the end

you get slivers rather than little squares

no particular advantage.....I just like the slivers

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
cut the ends off
cut in half between the two ends

set the flat to the board.....cut down from the end

you get slivers rather than little squares

no particular advantage.....I just like the slivers
My onions are the strongest.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Been doing this for years.

And no one has said it yet so I will. Gordon Ramsay is the GOAT!!!