• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oneness with nature?

Riders

So I read a description of this on the net as being people who go to the natural environments for a retreat and they stay outside all day towards the end of the day.

Theyre hearing softens and are able to open up and hear nature sounds around them better and its like looking into sun light, light hits them. They stare into it for long periods.It mellows them out.

I wasn't sure if it was in my mind or just the the sun coming in from the window.

I take an hour to go into meditation stay home and watch waves on youtube ocean meditation videos. It all takes me around an hour before I start doing something else, end it.

The sun comes in I start into get mellowed out really feels awesome start opening up my hearing, I could sit and listen to the cars outside and motorcyles for ages, sometimes I drift into it and go a couple of hours.

I'm just wondering why other people say its an all day thing and you have to be outside in nature ? for me its 1 or 2 hours and definitely inside sense I'm disabled? Although I do stare into the ocean on the net.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What sweet thoughts @Riders ... For those of us who are fortunate to live far, far away from the bustle and noise of the city, life really is sweeter and every moment is special. I can't remember the last time I listened to a radio, especially at this time of year, I wouldn't hear the hummingbirds or the funny cries of the baby fawns, to alert me to their presence. Everyday just IS and you learn to sop up each new day with relish. The rain is nicer, the sun is nicer and even when we go to the city by boat the trip is always worth it. How else to say it? Everyday is a new adventure and the mediation never ends....

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So I read a description of this on the net as being people who go to the natural environments for a retreat and they stay outside all day towards the end of the day.

Theyre hearing softens and are able to open up and hear nature sounds around them better and its like looking into sun light, light hits them. They stare into it for long periods.It mellows them out.

I wasn't sure if it was in my mind or just the the sun coming in from the window.

I take an hour to go into meditation stay home and watch waves on youtube ocean meditation videos. It all takes me around an hour before I start doing something else, end it.

The sun comes in I start into get mellowed out really feels awesome start opening up my hearing, I could sit and listen to the cars outside and motorcyles for ages, sometimes I drift into it and go a couple of hours.

I'm just wondering why other people say its an all day thing and you have to be outside in nature ? for me its 1 or 2 hours and definitely inside sense I'm disabled? Although I do stare into the ocean on the net.

Serene environments are oftentimes chosen to help miniminize distraction, which is why a good number of temples are established in natural rural surroundings.

There are certainly holistic benefits to be had especially for those comparatively within more active environments who some might find meditations more difficult to maintain in them.

After awhile, things can "pop" out from natural enviroments that makes a notable contrast to the experiences from more noisy urban type environments. Its definitely recommended to experience both environments.

The all day thing sounds like sesshin which typically spans 4 to 5 days of long term intense sitting and walking meditation. It is a test of endurance to gauge practice and to determine its effectiveness.

Enjoy the holistic benefit for sure, but mind the attachments. It attracts mosquitos. =0)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Sitting and staring, I can never agree with or understand that.
I've taken Zen sitting is structured so as to notice and face arising and ongoing attachment among other things enabling realisation. Including, but not limited to the "antsiness" one feels, fidgeting, bodily sensations, and thinking there's just no point, or its plain flat out boring or even exciting and the sense of accomplishment after a "good" session.

I realised so far it's notably more than that when things start coming out of the woodwork during those "quiet" periods when mind and body settles. You notice the connection/relationship of body, mind, and enviroment. Even that sense of oneness crops up that gets so convoluted with "enlightenment". *grin*

Things and nuances that have been going on for quite some while, but simply hadn't.been noticed before, yet there is something "new" about what's commonplace even though it's not new by a long stretch.

The eyes are partly open looking downward towards the floor or wall so you don't and up falling asleep lest the Kayusaku stick comes a tapping on your shoulder, and WACK, wack, WACK.....

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. when mind and body settles. You notice the connection/relationship of body, mind, and enviroment. Even that sense of oneness crops up that gets so convoluted with "enlightenment". *grin*
Perhaps I am one of the fortunates. It does not take me more than 5 minutes to arrive there. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Oh yes, Indians have an advantage there. We are born into it. Sitting cross-legged, pranayama, dhyana, etc. right from the childhood.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Perhaps I am one of the fortunates. It does not take me more than 5 minutes to arrive there. :)
Some of us no longer leave it.... :)

Oh yes, Indians have an advantage there. We are born into it. Sitting cross-legged, pranayama, dhyana, etc. right from the childhood.
Even at the ripe old age of 60 I can still sit in the full lotus position quite effortlessly. I will admit that it takes a bit longer for my legs to get working than it did when I was 20 though.