• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One twin dies, one twin lives after being left in car at Ala. car dealership

Should they start filing criminal charges against parents for this?

• Total voters

We Never Know

No Slack
Forgetting things...even important things comes naturally to humans.
Unless it was callous disregard, no prosecution.

If they are aware to get their keys, phone, lunch, briefcase, etc... How can they forget their kids?

Let's don't charge them for leaving their kids in the car but hey let's charge them for leaving their pets in cars. That's how messed up the world is becoming.

Connecticut woman charged with animal cruelty after leaving dog in hot car – fox5sandiego.com

It’s A Crime: Prosecuting People Who Leave Dogs in Hot Vehicles | Dogtime

Penal Code 597.7 PC - Leaving Animal Unattended in Vehicle California

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If they are aware to get their keys, phone, lunch, briefcase, etc... How can they forget their kids?
It's in the nature of forgetting things that one remembers some, & forgets others.
Let's don't charge them for leaving their kids in the car but hey let's charge them for leaving their pets in cars. That's how messed up the world is becoming.
It's about intent.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Because even when humans aren't prone to forgetfulness, the species is overall rather forgetful.

Not when it comes to child abuse.
But I don't think that there is a case to make for "abuse" here. Tragic, forgetful accident, yes. I can't speak for everybody, but I can certainly recall times when I have made what I later knew were just plain stupid errors of omission, but weren't intentional. It's part of our human nature.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But I don't think that there is a case to make for "abuse" here. Tragic, forgetful accident, yes. I can't speak for everybody, but I can certainly recall times when I have made what I later knew were just plain stupid errors of omission, but weren't intentional. It's part of our human nature.
Indeed. However, at least in America, child abuse laws tend to not consider intention. Religion is about the only free pass it gets.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I can't help but wonder, if they forget them in a small area such as the car, how much attention do they give them while at home? Out of sight out of mind?
I see no reason to assume it's more than typical human behavior. Overall, as a species, it's impressive we've survived for so long. We're forgetful, clutzy, and highly error prone. And then some of us do it as a higher rate than normal. That doesn't excuse it, but at the same time I suspect most of us wouldn't have lived our teens if our head wasn't attached, because we'd have lost it.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I finally vote "yes," but for a rather odd reason -- because filing criminal charges means that these things get in front of the public, get debated in courts, get examined in broad daylight. And maybe, just maybe, each and every such examination will serve as a reminder to others. And sometimes, really, all we need is an ingrained reminder not to forget important stuff.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I finally vote "yes," but for a rather odd reason -- because filing criminal charges means that these things get in front of the public, get debated in courts, get examined in broad daylight. And maybe, just maybe, each and every such examination will serve as a reminder to others. And sometimes, really, all we need is an ingrained reminder not to forget important stuff.
I find it immoral to put the parents thru the horror of
prosecution for the purpose of highlighting the danger.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I find it immoral to put the parents thru the horror of
prosecution for the purpose of highlighting the danger.
Okay, I see that...and yes, it's a really valid concern. Maybe I haven't through that through enough...

Gotta add, yes, I've thought that myself in the past. I remember a grief-stricken father in the same situation a number of years ago, and I myself was hurting for him having to answer in court, through his grief.

Darn it, sometimes this stuff gets really, really hard....

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Nah. It would be highly effective for encouraging discussion, but equally immoral for turning parents into less roles in a real life court drama involving dogs and hefty penalties. I wish it on no one who makes an honest mistake.