• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One third of the angels

Thief

Rogue Theologian
This is the story I grew up with.
No one told me so....and I have not read it.
So...I'm not sure how I came to know it.
Is it the story you know?
From a thread I started years ago...I quote myself....
Here you go.

I've heard various takes on the fall of angels...
Let's consider what we should be careful of...if any of this is true.

First a brief description of what an angels are.
In comparison to Man...they are...
Bigger, faster, stronger, more intelligent and greatly experienced.

Man was created a little less than the angelic.

There is a long standing belief that the fall of the angelic..one third of heaven...was brought on by a division....an argument.

God...having made Man...a little less than the angelic...said to the angels...
"Man is fragile...follow after him and see to it, that he dash not his toes...nor his head."

One third of the angelic said "nay".
"For that Man is less than we are... He should be made to serve us."

There is nothing wrong in that logic.
Man does so unto lesser creatures in every way.

We... chain our dogs, and expect their loyalty...keeping to one master...even though it is their nature to run free in packs, and hunt at will.
We.... saddle and bridle our horses...and expect them to take us wherever we desire...and we break their spirits that they will obey.
We.... cage little birds..that they sing for our pleasure...but the little creature sings for a mate he will never find. There will be no nest...no offspring...and he will die in his solitude.
We...readily kill anything that cannot be made to serve us...any disobedient animal.

A fight broke out. Brother angel against Brother angel.
One third of the angelic fell from grace...losing their positions in heaven.
They lost their place because of an argument...concerning something that looks like you.
They want you dead.
Two thirds of heaven lost their Brothers because of an
argument...concerning something that looks like you.

Do you not bear resemblance to the one third fallen?
Do you not perform unto lesser things...and your fellowman ...as you will?

Are you not concerned..what...or who...will be standing over you...
When you lay down to breath your last breathe?

Polarbear

Thank you very much for sharing! Were do you think that story comes from? Paradise lost?

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I can't tell.

It's been in my head as far back as I can remember.

The way it plays seem more to fair warning than a story of theology.
And yet...if angels ARE real.....

Gotta go to work

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Where does the idea that Satan took with him one third of the angels when he fell come from?

Revelation 12:3-9
New International Version (NIV)
3 Then another sign appeared in heaven: an enormous red dragon with seven heads and ten horns and seven crowns on its heads. 4 Its tail swept a third of the stars out of the sky and flung them to the earth. The dragon stood in front of the woman who was about to give birth, so that it might devour her child the moment he was born. 5 She gave birth to a son, a male child, who “will rule all the nations with an iron scepter.”[a] And her child was snatched up to God and to his throne. 6 The woman fled into the wilderness to a place prepared for her by God, where she might be taken care of for 1,260 days.

7 Then war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. 8 But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven. 9 The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.

Revelation 1:20

20 The mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand and of the seven golden lampstands is this: The seven stars are the angels[e] of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Rev 12:3 And another sign was seen in heaven, and, look! a great fiery-colored dragon, with seven heads and ten horns and upon its heads seven diadems; 4 and its tail drags a third of the stars of heaven, and it hurled them down to the earth.

Jude 6 And the angels that did not keep their original position but forsook their own proper dwelling place he has reserved with eternal bonds under dense darkness for the judgment of the great day.

2 Peter 2:4 Certainly if God did not hold back from punishing the angels that sinned, but, by throwing them into Tar′ta·rus, delivered them to pits of dense darkness to be reserved for judgment

The angels of heaven number into the millions. The prophet Daniel reports a vision in which he sees the numbers of the faithful angels of heaven

Daniel 7:10 There was a stream of fire flowing and going out from before him. There were a thousand thousands that kept ministering to him, and ten thousand times ten thousand that kept standing right before him. The Court took its seat, and there were books that were opened.
This is a very large number. 1,000x1,000 (1mil) ministering + 10,000x 10,000 standing before him = 1,000,000,000 (100mil)
If 101 million = 2/3 then the 3rd of angels who rebelled is a very large number indeed.

50,500,000 is possibly how many angels rebelled.

Repox

Truth Seeker
There are twenty-four angels in heaven. The only Bible reference is Revelation 4, elders around the thrown are angels. There were twenty-five angels. Satan (Lucifer), God's fallen one, was the twenty fifth angel.

Blackmarch

W'rkncacntr
Where does the idea that Satan took with him one third of the angels when he fell come from?
because thats what prophets told/shown by angels or by revelation. (in the bible it's in the book of revelations where the tail of the dragon took a third of the host of heaven with him, as for all of them being angels technically is probably dependant on how you use the term angel)

abbaton

the elders are 12 disciples of jesus and 12 of 'michael' known as abaddon. as far as angel-demons read Jude, they are already and will be imprisoned in the bottomless pit of which Uriel is master he is known as the angel of the pit and goes by abaddon or even Michael in some scriptures.... satan will be bound there at the last strife of the world... indeed the 'dragon' serpent of OLD took 1/3 of the angels of heaven with him but they FELL a long time ago... and now satan's younger bro Michael will 'stand up' before Christ returns for the ppl of the most high, this entity was prophesied as far back as Moses, and as far forward as Crowley, and his story can even be seen in sumeria and Egypt to name a few