• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One of the steps on the 8 fold path, Samma Kammanta, right conduct

God is love

Magga, the 8 fold path that leads to the cessation of suffering is one of the 4 noble truths

1.Dukkha

2. Samudaya

3. Nirodha

4. Magga

One of the steps on the 8 fold path is samma Kammanta, right conduct.
It is adhering to five precepts

1. Do not kill

2. Do not steal

3. Do not lie, criticize or gossip
Samma Vaca, right speech

4. Do not misuse sex such as incest, fornication, adultery or sexual harassment

5. Do not consume drugs or alcohol
because it clouds the mind

The first four are the same as four of the ten commandments.

1. Thou shalt not kill

2. Thou shalt not steal

3. Thou shalt not bear false witness

4. Thou shalt not commit adultery

The fifth of the five precepts "do not consume drugs or alcohol" is the same as the "Word of Wisdom" of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints. They do not consume drugs, tobacco or alcohol because it is not in harmony with the body. It is not good for the body. The Seventh Day Adventists also have a similar health standard. They think of the body as a temple for the Holy Spirit to dwell in order to be able to receive enlightenment. Substances such as drugs and alcohol are not in harmony with the body and would distort thinking.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
God is love said:
The fifth of the five precepts "do not consume drugs or alcohol" is the same as the "Word of Wisdom" of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints. They do not consume drugs, tobacco or alcohol because it is not in harmony with the body. It is not good for the body. The Seventh Day Adventists also have a similar health standard. They think of the body as a temple for the Holy Spirit to dwell in order to be able to receive enlightenment. Substances such as drugs and alcohol are not in harmony with the body and would distort thinking.
I have always maintained that the daily life of a properly practicing lay Buddhist and the daily life of a properly practicing lay Christian are very little different. This is probably true for more religions than just these two, of course.

Side Comment - It is often helpful, especially for understanding, to use the words "whole" or "complete", rather than "right" when discussing the Eightfold Path.

Ezratal

Well, generally the moral code of conduct is nearly identical for every religion. They all maintain the beliefs of human compassion and kindness. Additionally however, I would like to make sure you note that it is not to avoid drugs and alcohol exactly, it is to avoid mind-diluting/intoxicating substances. There ARE drugs that do not have these negative effects and so to say that all drugs are banned is not in concordence with that particular saying.

Actually, it seems that you have read from a source that has misinterpretted all of the precepts to better translate to English. It is not to abstain from the misuse of sex as in incest, and such... It is the avoidance of sensual misconduct. This would rather nullify the similarity to not commiting adultery.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Ezratal said:
Well, generally the moral code of conduct is nearly identical for every religion. They all maintain the beliefs of human compassion and kindness. Additionally however, I would like to make sure you note that it is not to avoid drugs and alcohol exactly, it is to avoid mind-diluting/intoxicating substances. There ARE drugs that do not have these negative effects and so to say that all drugs are banned is not in concordence with that particular saying.
Ezratal -

In my tradition, the precept is "Not to become intoxicated"; this leaves the question of method aside, and focusses on the problem of diminished mindfulness which intoxication (from whatever source) brings.

Ezratal said:
Actually, it seems that you have read from a source that has misinterpretted all of the precepts to better translate to English. It is not to abstain from the misuse of sex as in incest, and such... It is the avoidance of sensual misconduct. This would rather nullify the similarity to not commiting adultery.
I have seen this translation, and many others. I personally recommend that people study various translations, instead of just one, however well done. I find this method seems to have the best results in terms of people understanding the concepts.

God is love

Four of these are the same as Buddha's principles:

1. add to your faith, VIRTUE {good conduct}

2. add to your virtue, KNOWLEDGE

3. add to your knowledge TEMPERANCE { self restraint , moderation }

4. add to your temperance, PATIENCE

5. add to your patience, PURITY {goodness}

6. add to purity, BROTHERLY KINDNESS

7. add to brotherly kindness, CHARITY

Good conduct {virtue}, Brotherly Kindness are a part of Sila. Temperance {self restraint} is involved in conforming to the five precepts. Purity is enables us to receive wisdom. Conquering bad thoughts and promoting good thoughts purifies our mind and enables us to receive wisdom.

"by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. {quoted from the bible's new testement, 2 Peter 1:5-8}

"A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good."
Luke 6:45

I read recently that one of the Buddhist teachings is that all things are corruptable but truths like the two principles of Sila, good conduct would be constant or permanent as they always prevent suffering and ultimately lead to enlightenment and happiness when we conform to them. That truth is a constant.

Thanks for letting me share with you this.

dhammasaavaka

The precepts In Buddhism are easy to follow and understand once you realize that which will inhibit your path to becomming enlightened. Aside from that which is written, there may be other things that may cause you to stumble on a personal level. These too should be avoided.

The wonderful thing about Buddhism is that the Buddha based his teachings off common sense. Not only is Buddhism based off common sense but the Buddha always taught students to use their own best judgement. There is also a flexibility in Buddhism which is missing in many belief systems. He not only allowed for change within Buddhisms teachings, but even allowed and insisted people not leave their own religions, unless they absolutely wanted to.

Buddhism is living, plain and simply. No mumbo jumbo, mythic creations, other worldly things or events, or anything of the sort. It is a belief sytem for living in this world we live in, given regular day to day situations. Straight forward, and simple for those willing to see the truth of what life truly is.

Anyway, I am rambling...

Metta,
Dhammasaavaka