• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One Of The Reasons I Find It Difficult To Take The Bible Seriously

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I think it is because Hebrew words carry multiple layers of meaning. So there can often be several English words that have almost the same meaning as a particular Hebrew word, but it is usually quite difficult to find one word that has almost the exact same meaning as a particular Hebrew word and it is usually almost impossible to find just one that expresses all a Hebrew word’s meaning. That is the reason a Strong's concordance is useful to look up the various English words associated with the Hebrew word and also taking the context into consideration. I suppose it is challenging, but most of the examples you listed are not really that different from each other and the overall message is consistent in all the standard translations.

Small suggestion to the Almighty: next time, try please to make Your message to the whole humanity a bit clearer, and not requiring a degree in Hebrew semantics. Since You are Almighty, I am confident You will find a way.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Any text which is translated multiple times will have inconsistencies, perhaps significant ones due to the impossibility of translating something perfectly. You'll find the same with Plato, Homer, Shakespeare, Tolstoy or Dumas.

For example, with a poem what is important to the translator, as the can't focus on everything: literalism and focusing on the 'letter' of the text or interpretation focusing on the 'spirit' or the text; authenticity or readability; maintaining rhyme; maintaining metre; rendering metaphors literally or in a manner that makes more sense in translation; how to render a pun, play on words or double entendre; how to deal with rhetorical devices in general; more important to reflect denotation or connotation; should translator make additions or annotations to text to help the reader or to reflect translators opinions; etc.

When multiple people independently translate any complex text it is impossible for there to be no inconsistencies.
I agree, but many Christians do not. They take each and every word to have come from god or correctly inspired by god. Yet, as I've shown, either god did no such thing, or he did so but no longer cares how bastardized it becomes.

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
Small suggestion to the Almighty: next time, try please to make Your message to the whole humanity a bit clearer, and not requiring a degree in Hebrew semantics. Since You are Almighty, I am confident You will find a way.

Ciao

- viole
Why the mockery?
The scriptures actually indicate the exact opposite, that one can only begin to understand the words of the Bible or even God Himself when approached with an attitude of humility and when such is the case even a child can understand. I think the important truths of the Bible that God wants people to grasp are really not rocket science, but are very clear and straightforward.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Why the mockery?
The scriptures actually indicate the exact opposite, that one can only begin to understand the words of the Bible or even God Himself when approached with an attitude of humility and when such is the case even a child can understand. I think the important truths of the Bible that God wants people to grasp are really not rocket science, but are very clear and straightforward.

And even then all sorts of different interpretations come about. That indicates that your claim is incorrect. In the sciences one is always testing what one knows. One of the first things one does is to form a testable, which means refutable, explanation. What reasonable test would show your beliefs to be wrong? It cannot rely on the works of others. Too often Christians demand that others do their homework for them. If you could find a reasonable way to test your beliefs you would be much closer to knowing if there were correct or not.

InChrist

Free4ever
And even then all sorts of different interpretations come about. That indicates that your claim is incorrect. In the sciences one is always testing what one knows. One of the first things one does is to form a testable, which means refutable, explanation. What reasonable test would show your beliefs to be wrong? It cannot rely on the works of others. Too often Christians demand that others do their homework for them. If you could find a reasonable way to test your beliefs you would be much closer to knowing if there were correct or not.
I don't think God and/or the spiritual realm in confined to the material world and therefore cannot be tested in a naturalistic, scientific way. Nevertheless, God calls people to seek and search for Him. That is the reason each person must to their own homework (to use your term). But I'm not demanding anything. Just saying that if a person wants to know if God exists they must ask Him directly, personally, and sincerely. That's how I found out.

Last edited:

leov

Can you explain how you know what was intended by the (many) writers who contributed to the Bible?
Bible shows unified line of evolution of consciousness. From consciousness of Cain through consciousness of Jesus. A mystery school controlled intake, long standing school which still exists, stated way before Hermes. It serves many levels of spiritual development, main information comes from direct experience like Abraham, Moses or Paul had. It intended by higher level initiates to pass info down lower ranks, common people. Goal is to elevate human consciousness. When it started the most people were bicameral type.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Bible shows unified line of evolution of consciousness. From consciousness of Cain through consciousness of Jesus. A mystery school controlled intake, long standing school which still exists, stated way before Hermes. It serves many levels of spiritual development, main information comes from direct experience like Abraham, Moses or Paul had. It intended by higher level initiates to pass info down lower ranks, common people. Goal is to elevate human consciousness. When it started the most people were bicameral type.
I'm fascinated that you have accepted this very controversial "bicameral" theory, which has very little support, as unequivocally true. The Gilgamesh Epic, which precedes the bicameral dating by a considerable span, seems pretty clearly to refute it. But to me, what refutes it most absolutely is the notion it contains that "language is necessary to consciousness." It doesn't take very much study of all sorts of animals, lacking language, to put that canard to rest.

sooda

Veteran Member
Why the mockery?

Ex-Christadelphians: The Pagan Origins of the Book of Genesis - Part 1: The Spirit of God

InChrist

Free4ever
Not a website I believe to be credible. Lots of people are able to escape mind control groups such as Christadelphians and others through finding deliverance and freedom in Christ and understanding the true message of the Bible compared to the distorted view of their former group, but then other people become skeptics denying everything about the Bible. This appears to be the case with this person and website.

InChrist

Free4ever

'Secular and religious scholars agree that the Canaanites were one of the most sexual and perverted cultures the world has ever known. Think about this. Can you imagine a few perverted pagans getting together to create a moral religion? Can you imagine a few pagans coming up with the idea for circumcision as the ritual to gain membership! How many Canaanites would be standing in line to join this new religion? All male adults and children eight days and older had to be circumcised. This new found religion would need to become a race of people, and they would establish their own particular language in only a few centuries! The idea that Judaism springs from paganism appears insane, but this is exactly what secular scholars postulate and want people to believe. Ultimately, the Bible explains where the Jews came from and how they got to the promised land."
Did the Christians and Jews borrow their theology from pagan mythology? | CARM.org

sooda

Veteran Member
Not a website I believe to be credible. Lots of people are able to escape mind control groups such as Christadelphians and others through finding deliverance and freedom in Christ and understanding the true message of the Bible compared to the distorted view of their former group, but then other people become skeptics denying everything about the Bible. This appears to be the case with this person and website.

LOLOL.. Its not even debated. The Hebrews borrowed all the myths and legends from the cultures around them.

Read this.. Its an example of serious study.

Yes, Noah's Flood May Have Happened, But Not Over the Whole Earth

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't think God and/or the spiritual realm in confined to the material world and therefore cannot be tested in a naturalistic, scientific way. Nevertheless, God calls people to see and search for Him. That is the reason each person must to their own homework (to use your term). But I'm not demanding anything. Just saying that if a person wants to know if God exists they must ask Him directly, personally, and sincerely. That's how I found out.
That is a poor excuse. If your God has an effect on the Earth his presence should be testable. They reason you do not like testing your God is because tests indicate he is not here.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
'Secular and religious scholars agree that the Canaanites were one of the most sexual and perverted cultures the world has ever known. Think about this. Can you imagine a few perverted pagans getting together to create a moral religion? Can you imagine a few pagans coming up with the idea for circumcision as the ritual to gain membership! How many Canaanites would be standing in line to join this new religion? All male adults and children eight days and older had to be circumcised. This new found religion would need to become a race of people, and they would establish their own particular language in only a few centuries! The idea that Judaism springs from paganism appears insane, but this is exactly what secular scholars postulate and want people to believe. Ultimately, the Bible explains where the Jews came from and how they got to the promised land."
Did the Christians and Jews borrow their theology from pagan mythology? | CARM.org
Apologist sites tend to be lying sites, and you chose one of the worst. If secular people agree you should have no problem finding a reliable source.

sooda

Veteran Member

The Canaanites were prosperous and successful living in settled communities. They were also involved in mining, metallurgy and pottery making. They paid tribute to Pharaoh .. The Hebrews demonized them.

We have learned a great deal about them since the discovery at Ras Shamra. They spoke the same language as the Hebrews.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Who is looking for excuses?
You are. Seriously, religious books tend to have those sort of defensive verses since the authors were not complete fools and they knew how their beliefs failed. You are guilty of circular reasoning at best.

leov

I'm fascinated that you have accepted this very controversial "bicameral" theory, which has very little support, as unequivocally true. The Gilgamesh Epic, which precedes the bicameral dating by a considerable span, seems pretty clearly to refute it. But to me, what refutes it most absolutely is the notion it contains that "language is necessary to consciousness." It doesn't take very much study of all sorts of animals, lacking language, to put that canard to rest.
It looks like Homer fully supports it so does Bible. Some people were out of this earlier than other.

sooda

Veteran Member
The Canaanites were prosperous and successful living in settled communities. They were also involved in mining, metallurgy and pottery making. They paid tribute to Pharaoh .. The Hebrews demonized them.

We have learned a great deal about them since the discovery at Ras Shamra. They spoke the same language as the Hebrews.

Circumcision was not invented by the Hebrews.. Its Egyptian in origin as far as we know. Moses forbid it. Joshua reinstituted the practice after the death of Moses.