• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

one more time.....

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Indeed. We should not consider theories absolutes.

But it is probably wise to operate assuming the most factually supported theories are true, no?
I do accept a good guess and proceed as if it true
that technique is called assumption
which is a very good tool when used properly

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Theory and fact...are not the same thing

Unless, of course, we're talking about scientific theory, which is defined as "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation."

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Religion doesn't have facts, or even theories, its all based on faith and belief, where as science base what they know on hard evidence or theories which are facts until proven otherwise.

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Senses can always be duped. Sometimes what we see, taste, feel, hear and smell aren't always what is true.
Though I've never see through an electron microscope, I believe in sub atomic particles.
Though I've never seen blackholes, I believe one exists at the center of our milky way.
I m simply rely on science for these info and explanations. Sometimes they do not have all the answers and sometimes they might get things wrong, nevertheless my curiosity finds comfort in their explanation.

But often things come out from the earth that was once thought to be a myth. Dwarka was a myth until the 1990s. Then an expedition and people discovered twin cities size of Manhattan in the Gulf of Kambhat. Many date back to 1500-2000 BCE. Others say that few articles exists that could take it back a thousand years back in time.
The same when Dwarka apparently sunk beneath the waves. But it's all in theory with no concrete evidence.
The near about 140 astronomical events mentioned in the Mahabharata give the date of November 22nd 3067 BCE for the start of the war in Kurukshetra.
Many spots exists that myths and science coincides. Some are too arrogant to deny the mythical (historical aspect) or the scientific aspect of it.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Theory and fact...are not the same thing
Correct.

A fact is the underlying evidence. The theory is the conceptual model that describes the facts and their relationships to each other and the world in general.

The facts are the "what", and the theory is the "why", in a sense.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
until a better one comes along....yes
but theory is only a 'good guess'
A very, very good guess with a lot of support from many facts. A theory is most of the time well thought out, discussed by many, and tested. Few "good guesses" can say they are shared by many and even tested to ensure the validity.

It's not enough to have one fact and make a whole theory out of it. A theory is based on several facts, not just one. Exactly how many depends on what it is. Theories can also build on other theories, and they can be extended, revised, modified, or even discarded if some facts contradict the theory in such a way that there's no revision that can fix it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So, we should call them the "Assumption of Gravitation" the "Assumption of Relativity," and the "Electromagnetic Assumption," and so on...?
there is substantial observation that gravity is real
I think....it is safe to assume.....
the theory of gravity may be called the law of gravity

of course it remains.....
we don't really know where it comes from

and there has been some much effort to show Albert was correct (for the most part)
all things are relative....
as a safe assumption

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I like to think my doctor doesn't just assume.
oh but they DO!!!!!!
and my wife sued a practitioner for a really bad assumption.
he did not address the fact (symptoms)
made an incorrect diagnosis.....and could have killed my wife

but let's not digress to the incompetence of modern medicine

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Unless, of course, we're talking about scientific theory, which is defined as "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation."
throwing the word science in front of theory doesn't work

it's theory until the experiment repeats.....then it's a fact.