• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One God

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Why the illusion then? Couldn't God skip the illusion?

Where would be the fun in that? All-knowing, All-present, All-powerful I'd suspect would get to be pretty boring.

Why? Entertainment. One hugh virtuality reality simulation. Not that I know that but I can't imagine it'd be very entertaining as God. All of the drama, all of the struggle, all of the suffering. You don't get to partake in any of that as God.

WhyIsThatSo

Ok folks, let us educate ourselves a little here. What is the most prevalent thing in all of existence ? The one thing that stands out in any and every known and unknown realm (reality) ? The one thing that is shared by every form of life.....without exception ? {pssst, a hint}, it's all very "familiar" to you. You see it every day, all the time, in every walk of life...….it's called a "family". The Father, the Mother, and the Child. Hey, you know what ? That sounds like a "trinity" to me. If you ask the orthodoxers, they will tell you it's the "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit ". But in ignorance do they say such things. Not knowing the TRUTH of the matter and that the "Holy Spirit" is the "Mother" (Female) part of the "Father" , and that the "Son" (Child) is the offspring of the union of the Primal Parents. And that "Son" (Child)…..IS US.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok folks, let us educate ourselves a little here. What is the most prevalent thing in all of existence ? The one thing that stands out in any and every known and unknown realm (reality) ? The one thing that is shared by every form of life.....without exception ? {pssst, a hint}, it's all very "familiar" to you. You see it every day, all the time, in every walk of life...

I thought you were going to say matter. You know, atoms and molecules. Because that's definitely what came to mind, not family. Family is not a characteristic shared by all living organisms on this planet. I suppose you could consider a colony of bacteria to be a "family," but... I wouldn't. They definitely don't have "mothers" and "fathers" given they reproduce asexually...

That's not to say your theologically-oriented argument doesn't follow. But it does mean others who don't already hold to your theological ideas aren't going to think about it the same way. :D

WhyIsThatSo

I thought you were going to say matter. You know, atoms and molecules. Because that's definitely what came to mind, not family. Family is not a characteristic shared by all living organisms on this planet. I suppose you could consider a colony of bacteria to be a "family," but... I wouldn't. They definitely don't have "mothers" and "fathers" given they reproduce asexually...

That's not to say your theologically-oriented argument doesn't follow. But it does mean others who don't already hold to your theological ideas aren't going to think about it the same way. :D
Then perhaps I should put it another way that may be easier to understand then....."SEX" And start by saying that "sex" is NOT what we do, it is what we are......male and female. And ultimately, just like most everything else that exist in "form" (materiality, matter (atomic particles) ),…..aka physical "creation"...….., "male" and "female" are PRINCIPLES......SPIRITUAL principles. And in fact and in truth, they are the only two defining Spiritual Principles that make all else possible.

Ebionite

"God" is ambiguous. In the Greek of the NT theos is singular, but in the Hebrew of the OT Elohim is plural. GD (Gad/God) is also the proper name a a semitic deity of fortune.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Then perhaps I should put it another way that may be easier to understand then....."SEX" And start by saying that "sex" is NOT what we do, it is what we are......male and female. And ultimately, just like most everything else that exist in "form" (materiality, matter (atomic particles) ),…..aka physical "creation"...….., "male" and "female" are PRINCIPLES......SPIRITUAL principles. And in fact and in truth, they are the only two defining Spiritual Principles that make all else possible.

This after I just used the example of bacteria. Look, believe what you want, but there's a reason why I didn't like Wicca when I was learning about Paganism. Thanks for reminding me about that, I guess?

WhyIsThatSo

"God" is ambiguous. In the Greek of the NT theos is singular, but in the Hebrew of the OT Elohim is plural. GD (Gad/God) is also the proper name a a semitic deity of fortune.
Where would be the fun in that? All-knowing, All-present, All-powerful I'd suspect would get to be pretty boring.

Why? Entertainment. One hugh virtuality reality simulation. Not that I know that but I can't imagine it'd be very entertaining as God. All of the drama, all of the struggle, all of the suffering. You don't get to partake in any of that as God.
WRONG sir......you (we) get to participate in ALL of that...… and we do so, as "GOD"

WhyIsThatSo

This after I just used the example of bacteria. Look, believe what you want, but there's a reason why I didn't like Wicca when I was learning about Paganism. Thanks for reminding me about that, I guess?
Sorry, but I'm not Wiccan. And last time I checked, bacteria reproduce after it's own kind just like everything else. Soooooo, I wonder where bacteria got this "idea" ?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry, but I'm not Wiccan. And last time I checked, bacteria reproduce after it's own kind just like everything else. Soooooo, I wonder where bacteria got this "idea" ?

They certainly didn't get it from maleness and femaleness. They reproduce asexually. Honestly, when it comes to monotheistic god-concepts, it makes a lot more sense to consider that entity asexual. In order to be an "absolute one" as the OP describes, you couldn't require a partner to replicate. You'd need to be entirely self-sufficient.

Regardless, I don't have a horse in this race anyway. I'm not a monotheist.

Ebionite

The word (god) itself ?.....I would agree. But the substance, the reality, the ineffability of it all......now that's something else altogether.
In the Greek NT the "Word' is a translation of logos, meaning reason. In the OT the "Word" was associated with prophetic insight.

WhyIsThatSo

They certainly didn't get it from maleness and femaleness. They reproduce asexually. Honestly, when it comes to monotheistic god-concepts, it makes a lot more sense to consider that entity asexual. In order to be an "absolute one" as the OP describes, you couldn't require a partner to replicate. You'd need to be entirely self-sufficient.

Regardless, I don't have a horse in this race anyway. I'm not a monotheist.
Hey, now you're talkin. Except I don't recall ever mentioning the word "monotheism". And the word "asexual" just refers to a measure of attraction, and has nothing to do with the fact that reproduction takes place anyway regardless of the kind of "attraction". However, it may interest you to know that "God" ( whoever and however one understands the term ) is BOTH male AND female.....ANDROGENOUS.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
One God. Period.

In Orthodox Christianity, God is a trinity, so he isn't exactly one.

BUT in a few religions, God is absolute One. How is that possible? What are the characteristics of only One God? Why only One God?

This question has now been answered in detail for this age, an age where science will discover many wonderful things.

Firstly we can not know God in essence as creation can not know the creator. All we can think that is God, is not God.

Thus we are given the Messengers and they are all we can know of God and we gain our life from them. All we know of God is the Messengers and there have been thousands in many Names. This is how God becomes more than One, it is our perception.

This Tablet of the universe tells how creation emantes from God firstly as the Sun's of Truth, the Messengers and from them creation issues forth.

Tablet of the Universe

Great subject, our oneness.

Regards Tony

Reactions: syo

WhyIsThatSo

In the Greek NT the "Word' is a translation of logos, meaning reason. In the OT the "Word" was associated with prophetic insight.
"logos" = revealed THOUGHT. The logos ("Word") is the revelation of thought. Is this not what happens whenever we open our mouths......our thoughts spill out and are revealed ? Then what do we do ?.....we CREATE something. And then when "thought" becomes visible , becomes "manifest"......we can "see" it. And whatever we have created becomes "apparent" …...and precludes a "REASON" for being.

WhyIsThatSo

From that POV, seeing this is a ****hole world, it'd seem we only have ourselves to blame.
No, not really. Oh we don't help matters much (most don't anyway), you're right. But if the Truth be known ( and it is by some ), we have a lot of help. This world is the way it is because this is EXACTLY the way it was intended to be from the beginning.

Ebionite

"logos" = revealed THOUGHT. The logos ("Word") is the revelation of thought. Is this not what happens whenever we open our mouths......our thoughts spill out and are revealed ? Then what do we do ?.....we CREATE something. And then when "thought" becomes visible , becomes "manifest"......we can "see" it. And whatever we have created becomes "apparent" …...and precludes a "REASON" for being.

logos:
1 of speech
2 its use as respect to the MIND alone