• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One book

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
If you could get everyone in the world to read one book, which book would you choose? Which book has been the most influential to you, that you would like to share with the world?
I’m waiting on my tax return, but when I get it, I’m planning on updating my library, so I’m fishing for good recommendations.
I use thriftbooks.com highly recommend this site for cheap books.
If I could get everyone alive to sit down in read a book, it would be Outwittting the Devil by Napoleon Hill. Napoleon Hill was a self help author who has the honor of having the best selling self help book of all time (Think and Grow Rich). Outwitting the Devil, however, was never published in his life. It’s supposedly a transcript of Mr. Hill interview with the Devil himself! They talk about the laws of success and failure. Whether or not Mr. Hill really interviewed the Devil does not matter so much, though I believe he did. The book is a wonderful self help book that I’ve read three times, with each time it being almost life changing for me. It changes my trajectory in life and gives me a new motivation.
So, what book would you make everyone read, and why?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
OIP.0muuIgjg3Uc2VrdLkPQIZwHaLy

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The Moral Animal: Why We Are The Way We Are (1994) by Robert Wright - an approach to such via evolutionary psychology. Much to learn about Darwin here too (as a person and his struggles), as his work is used as context to explain and discuss much human behaviour.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Any Discworld book - Terry Pratchett, the humour is amazing,

Already mentioned, The hitchikers guide to the galaxy, or any other Douglas Adams Book. Again for the humour.

Both authors had a very quirky way of looking at life

And so many more for different reasons

I also like most Iain Banks and Iain M Banks books, particularly Excession. Its one of the books I've read several times and find something new in it each time

Lindsey Davis, Steven Saylor, Patricia Cornwell.
Just because.

I've just finished the collected works of Alexandre Dumas.

Charles Babbage by Anthony Hyman.
The measure of a man by Sydney Poitier.

Ok I'll stop here ;-)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Since you are searching a bit religiously I thoroughly enjoyed Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light. It won the Hugo award for best novel in 1968. It is a science fiction novel, but not a techie one at all.

9780060567231-us.jpg

Ooh, I just noticed that another author that I like wrote the blurb on the cover. @Christine probably read one of his books that I also read. He did a collaboration with Terry Pratchett. Good Omens:

9780552137034-us.jpg

If you have Amazon Prime you can also watch a television version of it.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Since you are searching a bit religiously I thoroughly enjoyed Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light. It won the Hugo award for best novel in 1968. It is a science fiction novel, but not a techie one at all.

9780060567231-us.jpg

Ooh, I just noticed that another author that I like wrote the blurb on the cover. @Christine probably read one of his books that I also read. He did a collaboration with Terry Pratchett. Good Omens:

9780552137034-us.jpg

If you have Amazon Prime you can also watch a television version of it.

Yes, read it, and like it

RestlessSoul

I think everyone should read Tolstoy's War and Peace, or at least not be put off by it's length. Tolstoy really was an exceptional writer, his prose is head and shoulders above the competition, imo. In fact, there was and is no competition.

Would recommend the Larissa Volokhonsky and Richard Peavor translation btw.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
So, what book would you make everyone read, and why?

I'm not sure, but it certainly wouldn't be The Eye of Argon by Jim Theis.

I’m waiting on my tax return, but when I get it, I’m planning on updating my library, so I’m fishing for good recommendations.
I use thriftbooks.com highly recommend this site for cheap books.

Sounds like a good plan!

The book is a wonderful self help book that I’ve read three times, with each time it being almost life changing for me. It changes my trajectory in life and gives me a new motivation.

That's amazing.

The Four Agreements

I used to have a copy of The Four Agreements that I bought at Borders years and years ago. I'll have to look it up because I've forgotten what it's about.