• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Once we live forever

Ralphg

I have an urgent question and hope to get creative answers to this question.

Once science has evolved so far that we have robots to do everything for us, so litteraly everything possible can be done by robots to help humans, a human litleraly doesn't have to do anything anymore and can also 'live forever' by biomechanical means etc.. By that time most of the universe(s) is also explored, wars are over and science can explain virtualy everything (and what is still unexplained could be investigated succesfully quiet fast by the robots). With a little imagination, a situation which could become reality given enough time and resources to humankind.

Now the question is this. Currently a human has 'needs' and 'feelings', he 'needs' to feed to stay alive and has 'feelings' to 'feel' alive. Once the 'super-robots' are in place these 2 basic things that make us human will slowly fade away. First the 'needs' because off course we'll first create enough robots (and make robots that can make new robots etc.) to fullfil all our needs and later our 'feelings' will fade away because once we realize a robot can give us any feeling any time we like. As you see while science evolves, our 'humanity' is 'dying' at that time. Now, what can we do to keep feeling alive and continue to have a reason to live during that era?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
It would be up to each individual, if your nature is to be bored easily then you will be bored, if you use the robots to do the hard work then it would leave you much time to do whatever you wanted to do, maybe take up playing the piano, isn't life itself enough, for me it certainly is.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm not quite sure why having robots do everything is even desirable. I enjoy doing work. I enjoy learning new things and doing new things. The technological utopia you describe sounds like a self-created hell of endless boredom.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.

Once science has evolved so far that we have robots to do everything for us,
Peace be on you....Others thought similar imaginary questions:
http://www.wired.com/2014/08/when-robots-take-all-the-work-whatll-be-left-for-us-to-do/

robot-job-takeover-unemployment.jpg

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/happens-robots-can-jobs/

SSStretching your imaginations about need and feeling, once you get everything done on earth, then you go to other planets and make towns etc.

Last edited:

Underhill

This is why something like income inequality globally is such a huge issue. As things become more mechanized, and they are now with 3D printing and robotic manufacturing, there will come a time when we have to face a reality of a large percentage of the population just not able to work. The jobs will not exist. And I don't think I'm talking about hundreds of years in the future. I could see this being an issue in my lifetime. If not, at least in my kids lifetimes.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This is why something like income inequality globally is such a huge issue. As things become more mechanized, and they are now with 3D printing and robotic manufacturing, there will come a time when we have to face a reality of a large percentage of the population just not able to work. The jobs will not exist. And I don't think I'm talking about hundreds of years in the future. I could see this being an issue in my lifetime. If not, at least in my kids lifetimes.
It's really an economic issue more than anything else. If a large percentage of the population loses their purchasing power, nothing gets bought, therefore nothing to sell to..... Leads to....

There would have to be a complete overhaul or even the elimination of buying and selling as we know it today.

Underhill

It's really an economic issue more than anything else. If a large percentage of the population loses their purchasing power, nothing gets bought, therefore nothing to sell to..... Leads to....

There would have to be a complete overhaul or even the elimination of buying and selling as we know it today.

If we are honest, large swaths of the global economy are already in this position. I just watched a documentary on Madagascar the other night. The country is rich in resources, which are being exploited, but the vast majority of people are living off a dollar a day. There is no industry worth talking about. There is no real potential for industry as they cannot compete with Malaysia, India and China without massive investment.

We here in the US and Europe are really just getting a taste of what Africa, much of South America and parts of South America deal with daily.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Once science has evolved so far that we have robots to do everything for us, so litteraly everything possible can be done by robots to help humans, a human litleraly doesn't have to do anything anymore and can also 'live forever' by biomechanical means etc.. By that time most of the universe(s) is also explored, wars are over and science can explain virtualy everything (and what is still unexplained could be investigated succesfully quiet fast by the robots). With a little imagination, a situation which could become reality given enough time and resources to humankind.

Now the question is this. Currently a human has 'needs' and 'feelings', he 'needs' to feed to stay alive and has 'feelings' to 'feel' alive. Once the 'super-robots' are in place these 2 basic things that make us human will slowly fade away. First the 'needs' because off course we'll first create enough robots (and make robots that can make new robots etc.) to fullfil all our needs and later our 'feelings' will fade away because once we realize a robot can give us any feeling any time we like. As you see while science evolves, our 'humanity' is 'dying' at that time. Now, what can we do to keep feeling alive and continue to have a reason to live during that era?

Why would people loose a reason to live? Its not scie ce thats the problem. We could use science in an appropriate way to where it doesnt replace and let forget where we came from, who we are, and where we are going. Oh. And robots are defeating acheiving this goal. We arent the victim.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic

There will always be those humans who will do evil. A population full of citizens without purpose would be ripe for exploitation. And even if robots can learn, fight wars and crime, and be creative, that doesn't stop people from continuing to do so as well.

And robots and humans will always be able to contribute to the whole through reasoned thought and feelings--and not necessarily segregating those pursuits as we might assume.

And above all, would there be a need to enforce humans remaining on the periphery. The pursuit of Utopia has always led to chaos and tyranny.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
And if those robots are A.I. and therefore have souls, would they be the only ones going to Heaven, leaving humans here in their couch potato coffins.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

One theory is that this has already happened, a civilization advanced to where every possible desire, material wealth, can be instantly gratified. And as you note, this society could not function, or exist in any meaningful way without it's citizens learning about good and bad, love and hate, facing and solving challenges, self restraint etc To ultimately learn to desire only the purest wishes to be granted, love- and so they created a virtual reality- a test for it's people to pass before they could be admitted.

In this scenario Heaven is that reality, and Earth is the virtual test

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
1. How would we counter biological deterioration or replace lost brain cells?
2. Given the trend toward wearable and interactive tech, we'll all soon be cyborgs. How would we even distinguish the humans from the robots in a Borg hive-world?
3. Given global warming, overpopulation and the coming collapse of civilization, how are the remaining, scattered feudal enclaves going to maintain any sort of advanced technology, much less robots.?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Where's Capt. Picard and his face-palm when you need him.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...n-kolbert-animals-conservation-science-world/
In the last half-billion years, life on Earth has been nearly wiped out five times—by such things as climate change, an intense ice age, volcanoes, and that space rock that smashed into the Gulf of Mexico 65 million years ago, obliterating the dinosaurs and a bunch of other species. These events are known as the Big Five mass extinctions, and all signs suggest we are now on the precipice of a sixth.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/antarctica-contribution-to-sea-rise-20160406-snap-htmlstory.html
A new study published in the journal Nature painted perhaps the most ominous picture yet. It showed that, by the end of this century, sea levels could rise 6 feet or more — again, if nothing is done to reduce emissions — potentially inundating many coastal areas, submerging nations and remaking maps of the world.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-of-animal-species-but-this-time-9132053.html
[quoteNowadays, many scientists are predicting that we’re on pace for a sixth mass extinction. The world’s species are already vanishing at an unnaturally rapid rate. And humans are altering the Earth’s landscape in far-reaching ways: we’ve hunted animals such as the great auk to extinction; we’ve cleared away broad swaths of rainforest; we’ve transported species from their natural habitats to new continents; we’ve pumped billions of tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and oceans, transforming the climate.[/quote]

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...n-kolbert-animals-conservation-science-world/

http://www.latimes.com/nation/antarctica-contribution-to-sea-rise-20160406-snap-htmlstory.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-of-animal-species-but-this-time-9132053.html
[quoteNowadays, many scientists are predicting that we’re on pace for a sixth mass extinction. The world’s species are already vanishing at an unnaturally rapid rate. And humans are altering the Earth’s landscape in far-reaching ways: we’ve hunted animals such as the great auk to extinction; we’ve cleared away broad swaths of rainforest; we’ve transported species from their natural habitats to new continents; we’ve pumped billions of tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and oceans, transforming the climate.

....all signs suggest we are now on the precipice of a sixth.

"All signs" from models paid for by government grants to liberal colleges, plugging in submissions from Variables R US. Facts don't matter to liberals, only bluff, with no better proof of that than Climategate. But of course liberals only plug their ears and jack up the volume.

(Wait for it.....wait...for...it........)

Last edited:

Ralphg

One theory is that this has already happened, a civilization advanced to where every possible desire, material wealth, can be instantly gratified. And as you note, this society could not function, or exist in any meaningful way without it's citizens learning about good and bad, love and hate, facing and solving challenges, self restraint etc To ultimately learn to desire only the purest wishes to be granted, love- and so they created a virtual reality- a test for it's people to pass before they could be admitted.

In this scenario Heaven is that reality, and Earth is the virtual test
You could very well be right and our end-time (rapture) will happen once we have become (the next?) 'the greys' (or annunaki-gods).

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

[quoteNowadays, many scientists are predicting that we’re on pace for a sixth mass extinction. The world’s species are already vanishing at an unnaturally rapid rate. And humans are altering the Earth’s landscape in far-reaching ways: we’ve hunted animals such as the great auk to extinction; we’ve cleared away broad swaths of rainforest; we’ve transported species from their natural habitats to new continents; we’ve pumped billions of tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and oceans, transforming the climate.
[/QUOTE]

That bad weather is caused by bad people, is the oldest superstition known to mankind, vast ice sheets covered the ground I stand on only a few thousand years ago, and retreated thousands of miles without a single SUV,
Earth's climate is a fascinating dynamic system, once you look past the anthropomorphic magic.