• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Once Saved Always Saved vs. Lose Your Salvation

joeboonda

Bravo, you are correct, as long as we live in the mortal, human body we still have the sin-nature in us and we are quite capable of sinning, and will sin no matter how hard we try not to. That's not to say we shouldn't try, with the help of the Holy Spirit empowering us, we can grow to bear fruit. Salvation is a free gift that we as sinners may gladly accept or reject, as Jesus paid for all the sins of all the world for all time.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
In all of these passages, salvation comes only after the trial of faith and not at the moment of conversion.
So if someone doesn't have a trial of faith they are not saved?

If I were to die the moment after accepting Jesus I would not be saved?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
It's a matter of Grace... having the character of God. If you are growing in Grace, you salvation is assured. If you are deserting God, then that is your decision. God will not bring us into his heavenly kingdom kicking and screaming. :D

DreamQuickBook

Carl Unger said:
Do you believe that once we are saved we can't lose our salvation (OSAS) or do you believe that it is possible to lose your salvation (LYS) once you are saved?
If you have little knowledge of this topic, then please read the following verses.
The below verses can be used on both sides of the story.

That's interesting. If it's true. Then I am still saved. :) pretty cool.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
joeboonda said:
those verses are all bout folks living through the tribulation.
You can't possibly be serious! What on earth would lead you to that conclusion? And I guess that means that for the rest of us, faith without works is entirely acceptable in God's eyes. Obedience is both meaningless and pointless. Once we believe, we're home free. I'm speechless. :eek:

Salvation is a free gift granted at the moment one believes in or trusts in Christ, that is that his work on the cross was sufficient
Yes, salvation is a gift. Please show me where the Bible states that it is granted "at the moment one believes in or trusts in Christ." Because I can show you dozens of verses that state quite the opposite.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
joeboonda said:
We are quite capable of sinning, and will sin no matter how hard we try not to. That's not to say we shouldn't try
Why bother if it doesn't matter to God one way or the other?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Good points Katzpur. To add, how about a verse that clearly says you can't lose your salvaition no matter what.

~Victor

jonny

I don't believe we are saved until we have completed our life and are standing before Christ at the judgment.

This is my favorite scripture.

"And now, my beloved brethern, after ye have gotten into this straight and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merit of him who is might to save"

"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to then end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."

Mathew 10:22 "...but he that endureth to the end shall be saved"

enton

Carl Unger said:
Do you believe that once we are saved we can't lose our salvation (OSAS) or do you believe that it is possible to lose your salvation (LYS) once you are saved?
If you have little knowledge of this topic, then please read the following verses.
The below verses can be used on both sides of the story.

Hebrews 6:4-6
John 10:27-29
Hebrews 10:29
Revelations 3:5
Ephesians 4:30
Hebrews 10:29-29
Hebrews 10:38-39
I don`t believe in OSAS but I do believe that we may lose our salvation.

blueman

God's Warrior
If one believes that it is by grace you are saved through faith and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast (Ephesians 2:8,9). So ask yourself this question: If I cannot gain salvation through works, how can I lose salvation through my works? It does not connect. Those who were enligtened to the faith would indeed have a firm understanding/knowledge of what salvation entails, but so does the (devil and his demons), but it is therefore questionable whether they ever accepted it through faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ gave the gift of eternal life through the shedding of blood on the cross for the remission of sins. He does not take that gift away from all who believe on His name and accept Him as Lord and Savior over their lives. People who say they have accepted Christ, but live lives totally contrary to God's Will and Word and perpetually live in sin never really accepted Christ as Lord of their life at all, because to have Christ reigning in your life represents a renewing of the mind and a change in your life and behavior. If one truly accepted Christ in his/her heart, the power of God resonates a change in one's life that cannot be denied. People who profess the faith, but perpetually live a life of disobedience never bought into the truth of God's salvation in the first place. They are no better than the Pharisees in Christ day, devout hypocrytes!!:)

enton

blueman said:
If one believes that it is by grace you are saved through faith and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast (Ephesians 2:8,9). So ask yourself this question: If I cannot gain salvation through works, how can I lose salvation through my works? It does not connect. Those who were enligtened to the faith would indeed have a firm understanding/knowledge of what salvation entails, but so does the (devil and his demons), but it is therefore questionable whether they ever accepted it through faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ gave the gift of eternal life through the shedding of blood on the cross for the remission of sins. He does not take that gift away from all who believe on His name and accept Him as Lord and Savior over their lives. People who say they have accepted Christ, but live lives totally contrary to God's Will and Word and perpetually live in sin never really accepted Christ as Lord of their life at all, because to have Christ reigning in your life represents a renewing of the mind and a change in your life and behavior. If one truly accepted Christ in his/her heart, the power of God resonates a change in one's life that cannot be denied. People who profess the faith, but perpetually live a life of disobedience never bought into the truth of God's salvation in the first place. They are no better than the Pharisees in Christ day, devout hypocrytes!!:)
It`s the grace of God. He saves to whomever he likes to save. Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Titus 3:5

So what can you say?

blueman

God's Warrior
enton said:
It`s the grace of God. He saves to whomever he likes to save. Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Titus 3:5

So what can you say?
I am not clear on your question to me??? I quoted scripture referenced in Ephesians and I am clear on the fact that the grace is from God. I'm trying to get your point that you are stressing to me although I believe we are on same page, correct? :)

jonny

enton said:

So what can you say?
Matt 7:21 - Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that DOETH the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matt 10: 22 - He that endureth to the end shall be saved

Matt 24: 13 - but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved

Matt 13: 13 - he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved

Do Christians who believe that works are not important tear the book of James out of their Bible? Read James 2 and then tell me that works are not important.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
enton said:

So what can you say?
I'd prefer to believe in a God I can trust to do what He says He'll do than to believe in a God who will arbitrarily pick and choose based on nothing more than a whim. Your post implies that there will be no rationale whatsoever behind God's decision to save some and condemn others. Obedience to His commandments is stressed throughout both the Old and the New Testaments. I wish I could remember the specific chapter and verse, but we are specifically told that Jesus Christ is the "author of salvation unto those who obey Him." If we are told in the scriptures that our obedience is to be a factor in our salvation, I like to think that I can trust God to keep His word. This doesn't detract from His mercy and grace, or make His gift to us any less of a gift. He has said that He will save those who believe in His Son and who obey His commandments. He doesn't need to save any of us. Nevertheless, His grace is operative only in the lives of those who are willing to do more than profess what amounts to nothing more than a dead faith.

Uncertaindrummer

blueman said:
I am not clear on your question to me??? I quoted scripture referenced in Ephesians and I am clear on the fact that the grace is from God. I'm trying to get your point that you are stressing to me although I believe we are on same page, correct? :)
Ephesians 2:8-10 is a good read as well. James 2:24 is cool also :D

enton

jonny said:
Matt 7:21 - Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that DOETH the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matt 10: 22 - He that endureth to the end shall be saved

Matt 24: 13 - but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved

Matt 13: 13 - he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved

Do Christians who believe that works are not important tear the book of James out of their Bible? Read James 2 and then tell me that works are not important.
We, members of God`s household, hold that works are very important for salvation. Faith without work is dead. So, it implied that "Once Saved, Always Saved" is unbiblical. Christians need to do goo works. To quote from the Bible "Honor all men." and to other part of the Bible " Love God above all."

You know I emphasized that verse in Titus because there are some who believed that "Religion Cannot Save..." and one of them is Billy Graham ( http://www.billygraham.org ). Now regarding the importance of religious affiliation, I am inviting interested Bible studiers here: http://www.theoldway.org or http://www.theoldway.tk .

I think that`s enough.