• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ONCE AGAIN! Facts in the Bible is supported by archaeology.

Riders

You have heard of "God of the Gaps"?
I call this "Skeptics of the Gaps"

If it's true this is Pilot's ring it proves little, but there's a point to this.
Some say the bible was a total fabrication. I grew up being told there
was no King David, Jewishness was just a religion and not a race
and so on, so forth. A lot of this historical and scientific corroboration
with the bible has now emerged, including the sequence of events of
Genesis' account of the creation.
So bit by bit, the Skeptics who say the bible is no different than other
creation or religious stories are being squeezed.

Uh no the exact opposite, the Genisis story has been told in every other bible and other cultures from a long time ago.there is evidence in many old stories from other bibles too. I am sure the quaran has many ancient true happenings in it as well.

QuestioningMind

Pontius Pilate’s ring may have been discovered at ancient biblical fortress

Just another nail that keeps appearing again and again.

It's amazing, to me, how the information in the Gospels and letters are supported by facts that are discovered.

Reminds me of my grand nephew. He keeps bringing me copies of his Spider-Man comics and pointing out how it talks about a real place called New York and how they actually have pictures that depict REAL buildings and bridges that exist in this REAL city called New York. He also keep trying to claim that those true realities depicted in his comics means that Spider-Man and all of his fantastical abilities are REAL as well.

Of course, he's only eight years old, so at least HE has an excuse.

Riders

They found both the place the cross was put and the grave that was used. But since Jesus is not her to talk for him self, a discussion like this is a wast of time. No belivers can not prove it wrong, and believers who use the bible as proves et laughet on by the non belivers.

I have seen a tv show that shows supposed the place he was born too people go visit it its in a huge Catholic parish but theres no proof. You need to provide proof and back it up.

There is archaelogical evidence a sight in Jerusalem where they crucified lots of Messiahs,the Messiah movement.But I have a feeling if we had found the cross or tomb it would be huge news and I would know about it.

But provide your proof please.

Audie

Veteran Member
Reminds me of my grand nephew. He keeps bringing me copies of his Spider-Man comics and pointing out how it talks about a real place called New York and how they actually have pictures that depict REAL buildings and bridges that exist in this REAL city called New York. He also keep trying to claim that those true realities depicted in his comics means that Spider-Man and all of his fantastical abilities are REAL as well.

Of course, he's only eight years old, so at least HE has an excuse.

Spider man? I have seen him, fist bumped one time.

shmogie

A newspaper is not a reliable scholarly source! Contemporary writers are evidence, and do not need to be confirmed by inscriptions.

These people were not scholars, either. As the classicist Michael Grant (not a Christian, I believe) wrote, no professional historian has even questioned the existence of Jesus.

When there are so many historical improbabilities in the Bible to try to defend, you're wasting your ammunition going after the crackpot fringe of atheism.
A newspaper report is easily confirmed. The Archaeological facts are accurate, as written.

Interesting in that you say what happened, did not happen. Were you around in 1961 ?

You have to be joking that scholars do not question the existence of Jesus. Some contend that the NT wasn't written till c. 300 AD, a hypothesize that all of the characters in it are later constructs.

Audie

Veteran Member
A newspaper report is easily confirmed. The Archaeological facts are accurate, as written.

Interesting in that you say what happened, did not happen. Were you around in 1961 ?

You have to be joking that scholars do not question the existence of Jesus. Some contend that the NT wasn't written till c. 300 AD, a hypothesize that all of the characters in it are later constructs.

I think it is reasonable that there was someone,
around whom the "Jesus" story was built, something
like a pearl on a grain of sand.

Whoever the person was would not recognize anything
of himself in the stories.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Insufficient incorrect information. Scholars generally consider the NT content evolved and not suddenly written in 300 AD., and no they do not hypothesize that all the characters are later constructs. The earliest versions of the gospels were written ~50 -70 AD.

It is true that the complete NT as we know it today was compiled latter probably ~300 to 400 AD.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

ecco

Veteran Member
Pontius Pilate’s ring may have been discovered at ancient biblical fortress

Just another nail that keeps appearing again and again.

It's amazing, to me, how the information in the Gospels and letters are supported by facts that are discovered.

I admit it. I'm a sucker for a good headline. So, OK. Let's go and see what new nonsense KenS has dug up this time (archeology pun intended).

First thing, as I often do, is to check out the link to get an idea of the validity of the source (or, in the case of some people, the absurdness of the source).

FOX NEWS?!? That put new meaning to ROFLMAO.

But, being curious, I also read the NYT version. They made it clear that it was a rather cheap ring, not one worthy of actually belonging to a Roman official. Even one as relatively obscure os Pilate.

PruePhillip

So the Jewish people being on the winning side in WW2 was a miracle?

Who said that?
The OT says that God would call the Jews out of all the nations
of their exile, nations that were their "graves."
Back in the late 1800's our scholars and academics mocked the
idea that the Jews would return to Palestine and rebuild their
ancient commonwealth. But it happened.

shmogie

Insufficient incorrect information. Scholars generally consider the NT content evolved and not suddenly written in 300 AD., and no they do not hypothesize that all the characters are later constructs. The earliest versions of the gospels were written ~50 -70 AD.

It is true that the complete NT as we know it today was compiled latter probably ~300 to 400 AD.
Goodness, you speak for each and every scholar who has a theory of the origination of the NT.

Tell me, how many of them have you read ?

I suggest you read some more.

There are a variety of opinions on the matter. The majority may hold a single view, but the majority isn´t all scholars.

Even Christian scholars hold varying views

shmogie

I think it is reasonable that there was someone,
around whom the "Jesus" story was built, something
like a pearl on a grain of sand.

Whoever the person was would not recognize anything
of himself in the stories.
You think

Audie

Veteran Member
Who said that?
The OT says that God would call the Jews out of all the nations
of their exile, nations that were their "graves."
Back in the late 1800's our scholars and academics mocked the
idea that the Jews would return to Palestine and rebuild their
ancient commonwealth. But it happened.

You made that up, you cannot cite one "scholar" or, "academic"
who "mocked" it.

PruePhillip

Amazing. I know how you feel.

When I read Homer and the detailed description of Greece and Troy, I also feel a huge need to believe in Zeus.

Ciao

- viole

Zeus is on, what, Mount Olympus? Go there and check.
Now research whether there was a King David, whether the
Canaanites were overthrown by the invading Jews, whether
accounts of Bronze Age culture pan out, whether Jerusalem
was the cultic and administrative center of the Jews, whether
Merneptah destroyed Gaza, whether there was a prophet
called Isaiah, whether the Philistines destroyed Shiloh etc..

Just a few
https://www.bible-history.com/archaeology/news/

Many cultures have their "creation myths" I know of none
which pan out historically, archaeologically or scientifically
as the bible.