• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ONCE AGAIN! Facts in the Bible is supported by archaeology.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So many people say it is a fictional book
Much of it is. I don't know of anyone that has claimed that all of it is fictional. Right now it appears that you are guilty of the "crime" that you are accusing atheists of making. We know that just because parts of the Bible are obviously false that does not mean that all of the Bible is obviously false. You on the other hand seem to be trying to use this one tiny bit of evidence for a claim that was not disputed to try to claim that all of the Bible is true. We know that is not the case.

Riders

Even as a Buddhist i do not doubt that The story in bible are true. Actually the bible contain a lot of historical events that are discovered today and can then be scientific proven to be true.

Lots of events in the bible are true including Herod killing off a bunch of Jewish children and the Jewish Temple wall torn down.But it does not mean theres any proof Jesus lived or was crucified.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember when the atheists were taunting us because no record could be found confirming Pontius Pilate as a Roman official in any capacity. Those crickets stopped chirping when an inscription with his name was found near the excavated governors mansion in Jerusalem.

Yeah, so...can you show me where this happened? Because at best it was isolated.

Riders

I cannot believe this. This is incredible,how sheltered are you? So you think because you have found this true ancient fact of history that proves Jesus and we should convert because of it . Does that about sum it up?
You guys have not gotten it yet.

I have always known Pilate existed along with Herod too and there is written documents that say King Herod killed 100 or so maybe more Jewish children way back too.

But none of that proves Jesus was the one Messiah the old Testament spoke about who died on the cross and was resurrected.

BYW I plan on getting into my bible this year,it has a lo t of wisdom and spirituality in it .Ill be going to either UNity or the Quaker group which does not require me to be Christian. Theres a lot of non Christians who read the bible.
I've been told by other Christians up here I don't count as a bible reader because Im not Christian but I guarantee you there's a lot of us non Christians who read the bible.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Pontius Pilate’s ring may have been discovered at ancient biblical fortress

Just another nail that keeps appearing again and again.

It's amazing, to me, how the information in the Gospels and letters are supported by facts that are discovered.

My only question is, how does historical evidence (regardless) support the supernatural?

We have many historical and still standing evidence of the gods and goddesses worshiped in Greek and Roman periods. We even have the writings to prove the evidence is accurate.

Does that mean their gods and goddeses actually exist because some of our history is built off the greeks and romans??

joelr

It's amazing, to me, how the information in the Gospels and letters are supported by facts that are discovered.

So someone wrote a fictional savior deity story and used a real public figure in the story?
How does that support the bible?
As to archeology:

William Dever, Professor Emeritus at the University of Arizona, has investigated the archeology of the ancient Near East for more than 30 years and authored almost as many books on the subject. In the following interview, Dever describes some of the most significant archeological finds related to the Hebrew Bible, including his own hot-button discovery that the Israelites' God was linked to a female goddess called Asherah.

NOVA: Have biblical archeologists traditionally tried to find evidence that events in the Bible really happened?
William Dever: From the beginnings of what we call biblical archeology, perhaps 150 years ago, scholars, mostly western scholars, have attempted to use archeological data to prove the Bible. And for a long time it was thought to work. [William Foxwell] Albright, the great father of our discipline, often spoke of the "archeological revolution." Well, the revolution has come but not in the way that Albright thought. The truth of the matter today is that archeology raises more questions about the historicity of the Hebrew Bible and even the New Testament than it provides answers, and that's very disturbing to some people.

But perhaps we were asking the wrong questions. I have always thought that if we resurrected someone from the past, one of the biblical writers, they would be amused, because for them it would have made no difference. I think they would have said, faith is faith is faith—take your proofs and go with them.

The fact is that archeology can never prove any of the theological suppositions of the Bible. Archeologists can often tell you what happened and when and where and how and even why. No archeologists can tell anyone what it means, and most of us don't try.

Yet many people want to know whether the events of the Bible are real, historic events.
We want to make the Bible history. Many people think it has to be history or nothing. But there is no word for history in the Hebrew Bible. In other words, what did the biblical writers think they were doing? Writing objective history? No. That's a modern discipline. They were telling stories. They wanted you to know what these purported events mean.

The Bible is didactic literature; it wants to teach, not just to describe. We try to make the Bible something it is not, and that's doing an injustice to the biblical writers. They were good historians, and they could tell it the way it was when they wanted to, but their objective was always something far beyond that.
I like to point out to my undergraduate students that the Bible is not history; it's his story—Yahweh's story, God's story. [Yahweh is an ancient Israelite name for God.]

Even if archeology can't prove events of the Bible, can it enhance our understanding of the Bible?
Archeology is almost the only way that we have for reconstructing a real-life context for the world out of which the Bible came, and that does bring understanding. When you think of how little we knew about the biblical world even 100 years ago and what we know today, it's astonishing.

The Bible chronology puts Moses much later in time, around 1450 B.C.E. Is there archeological evidence for Moses and the mass exodus of hundreds of thousands of Israelites described in the Bible?
We have no direct archeological evidence. "Moses" is an Egyptian name. Some of the other names in the narratives are Egyptian, and there are genuine Egyptian elements. But no one has found a text or an artifact in Egypt itself or even in the Sinai that has any direct connection. That doesn't mean it didn't happen. But I think it does mean what happened was rather more modest. And the biblical writers have enlarged the story.
Is there mention of the Israelites anywhere in ancient Egyptian records?
No Egyptian text mentions the Israelites except the famous inscription of Merneptah dated to about 1206 B.C.E. But those Israelites were in Canaan; they are not in Egypt, and nothing is said about them escaping from Egypt.

Archeology of the Hebrew Bible

NOVA | The Bible's Buried Secrets | Moses and the Exodus | PBS

Q: Let's turn to one of the most vivid figures in the Bible, Moses. Who is the Moses of the Bible, and could there have been such a person?

Meyers: The Moses of the Bible is larger than life. The Moses of the Bible is a diplomat negotiating with the pharaoh; he is a lawgiver bringing the Ten Commandments, the Covenant, down from Sinai. The Moses of the Bible is a military man leading the Israelites in battles. He's the one who organizes Israel's judiciary. He's also the prophet par excellence and a quasi-priestly figure involved in offering sacrifices and setting up the priestly complex, the tabernacle. There's virtually nothing in terms of national leadership that Moses doesn't do. And, of course, he's also a person, a family man.

Now, no one individual could possibly have done all that. So the tales are a kind of aggrandizement. He is also associated with miracles—the memorable story of being found in a basket in the Nile and being saved, miraculously, to grow up in the pharaoh's household. And he dies somewhere in the mountains of Moab. Only God knows where he's buried; God is said to have buried him. This is highly unusual and, again, accords him a special place.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Yes... :) And then there was a time when they said King David never existed. :)
I remember when the atheists were taunting us because no record could be found confirming Pontius Pilate as a Roman official in any capacity.
Who are y'all talking about?
I've never heard anybody with any credibility say anything like that.

Actually, I don't think I've ever heard anybody say that at all.

Are you guys sure that anybody ever claimed this? Or did some Christian website claim that somebody said it, and you just believed them?
Tom

PruePhillip

You have heard of "God of the Gaps"?
I call this "Skeptics of the Gaps"

If it's true this is Pilot's ring it proves little, but there's a point to this.
Some say the bible was a total fabrication. I grew up being told there
was no King David, Jewishness was just a religion and not a race
and so on, so forth. A lot of this historical and scientific corroboration
with the bible has now emerged, including the sequence of events of
Genesis' account of the creation.
So bit by bit, the Skeptics who say the bible is no different than other
creation or religious stories are being squeezed.

Looncall

I don't doubt that SOME of what is recorded in the Bible is related to a real event. Some such as "red/reed" sea, appears to be plausible given how memories are not accurate. Some is symbolic, not factual. And so forth.

There is a logical fallacy that says something like "if some stories are true then all stories are true".

I don't accept that all of the stories are accurately recounted.

The bible is folk tales and religious and tribal propaganda (with some nice poetry too). One would expect some factual material in such writing. That doesn't validate the woo in it.

PruePhillip

The bible is folk tales and religious and tribal propaganda (with some nice poetry too). One would expect some factual material in such writing. That doesn't validate the woo in it.

"...bit by bit, the Skeptics who say the bible is no different than other
creation or religious stories are being squeezed."

You need to give examples of what you mean, and don't rely on
broad sweeping statements.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Lots of events in the bible are true including Herod killing off a bunch of Jewish children and the Jewish Temple wall torn down.But it does not mean theres any proof Jesus lived or was crucified.

They found both the place the cross was put and the grave that was used. But since Jesus is not her to talk for him self, a discussion like this is a wast of time. No belivers can not prove it wrong, and believers who use the bible as proves et laughet on by the non belivers.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
They found both the place the cross was put and the grave that was used. But since Jesus is not her to talk for him self, a discussion like this is a wast of time. No belivers can not prove it wrong, and believers who use the bible as proves et laughet on by the non belivers.
I do not think that the grave was found. A grave was found. That in no way at all supports the claim it was Jesus's grave.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Unless Jesus come back and say yes this is my tomb they can not prove it enough that non believers will believe it actually was the tomb of Jesus.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Wow! Gee!

And here's another amazing thing! In Charles Dickens' novel 'Martin Chuzzlewit', the hero goes to the United States. And later I found out there really was such a place! Can you imagine?????

Why all the mocking of those who believe?