• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On What Level(s) of Reality Does Causality Exist?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
In the interest of not derailing a thread on another topic, I've started this thread to continue the discussion between me and @Aupmanyav in karmic consequences for suicide?, here.

The synopsis of the discussion so far is that Aup believes that causality exists only in Vyavaharika, while I believe that some form of causality survives temporal death in Vyavaharika to determine what form or circumstance one is born into should one remain in samsara.

Please feel free to chime in with your thoughts on the topic and offer up any scripture that may support one view in favor of the other.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"Kalama Sutta (Wikipedia):

Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing (anussava),
nor upon tradition (paramparā),
nor upon rumor (itikirā),
nor upon what is in a scripture (piṭaka-sampadāna)
nor upon surmise (takka-hetu),
nor upon an axiom (naya-hetu),
nor upon specious reasoning (ākāra-parivitakka),
nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over (diṭṭhi-nijjhān-akkh-antiyā),
nor upon another's seeming ability (bhabba-rūpatāya),
nor upon the consideration, The monk is our teacher (samaṇo no garū)

Kalamas, when you yourselves know: "These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness," enter on and abide in them.'"

In 'Paramarthika', there is no action, therefore, there is no reaction also, the perceived being only an illusion (Sankara - Brahma satyam, jagan-mithya ..).
Quantum Mechanics demonstrates that energy flits between existence and non-existence and vice-versa for no particular reason (virtual particles). It does not respect the boundaries of existence and non-existence. It is the natural behavior of physical energy.
RigVeda - Sages who searched with their heart's thought discovered the existent's kinship in the non-existent.
Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN CXXIX. Creation.

Edited to add: These boundaries exist for the observer in 'Vyavaharika'.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
In the interest of not derailing a thread on another topic, I've started this thread to continue the discussion between me and @Aupmanyav in karmic consequences for suicide?, here.

The synopsis of the discussion so far is that Aup believes that causality exists only in Vyavaharika, while I believe that some form of causality survives temporal death in Vyavaharika to determine what form or circumstance one is born into should one remain in samsara.

Please feel free to chime in with your thoughts on the topic and offer up any scripture that may support one view in favor of the other.
@Aupmanyav is of a materialist school which I personally do not consider compatible with the traditional Advaita School often considered first formalized by Adi Shankara.

I am of the belief that we have are more than a physical body and also have a subtle body and a causal body. So actions at the physical level (like suicide) also impact our existence on the higher realms.

George-ananda

Premium Member
@George-ananda , how can you term me as a materialist when I do not even believe in 'material'? ;)
Well, in western terminology you are a ‘materialist/physiclalist’.

The key question in western thinking is do you think Consciousness is just a product of the physical brain? Or is Consciousness something fundamental and not just a creation of a physical brain?

Shantanu

Well, in western terminology you are a ‘materialist/physiclalist’.

The key question in western thinking is do you think Consciousness is just a product of the physical brain? Or is Consciousness something fundamental and not just a creation of a physical brain?
When one lives on the planet Earth and has to survive, one cannot help but be a materialist. This does not mean that one does not appreciate that there is an Entity that people call Consciousness or God from whom one can derive benefits to aid one's survival on this planet. Survival means one has attained the only objective that one can truly say is the purpose of living. God exists but the idea is that by oneness with ones Truth Consciousness and the principles of dharma one becomes a contented human being. What more does one want. Why should one desire anything else like Bliss. Joy, pain are all the same to me as Iong as I can struggle through and attain survival as a materialist. I call that Existentialism through satya-advaita.

George-ananda

Premium Member
When one lives on the planet Earth and has to survive, one cannot help but be a materialist. This does not mean that one does not appreciate that there is an Entity that people call Consciousness or God from whom one can derive benefits to aid one's survival on this planet. Survival means one has attained the only objective that one can truly say is the purpose of living. God exists but the idea is that by oneness with ones Truth Consciousness and the principles of dharma one becomes a contented human being. What more does one want. Why should one desire anything else like Bliss. Joy, pain are all the same to me as Iong as I can struggle through and attain survival as a materialist. I call that Existentialism through satya-advaita.
I was using the term 'materialism' in its meaning as a school of thought.

Materialism (from Wikipedia): Materialism is a form of philosophical monism which holds that matter is the fundamental substance in nature, and that all phenomena, including mental phenomena and consciousness, are identical with material interactions.

Just the fact that you believe in God disqualifies you from being considered a materialist. @Aupmanyav does not believe in God.

Shantanu

I was using the term 'materialism' in its meaning as a school of thought.

Materialism (from Wikipedia): Materialism is a form of philosophical monism which holds that matter is the fundamental substance in nature, and that all phenomena, including mental phenomena and consciousness, are identical with material interactions.

Just the fact that you believe in God disqualifies you from being considered a materialist. @Aupmanyav does not believe in God.
I see your point. @Aupmanyav needs to address the question of whether one's thoughts arise in the somatic cells of the brain or whether a Consciousness is present that makes us think the way we do.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Brihad-Aranyaka Upanisad, Chapter 3 and 4. This is being spoken by seer Yajnavalkya.
The quotes are quite self-explanatory, and this is the dominant view of how causality acts after death creating rebirth within Hinduism.
Holy Upanishads: Brihadaranyaka Upanishad: Part 4

"Just as a heavily loaded cart moves along, creaking, even so the self identified with the body, being presided over by the Self which is all consciousness (the Supreme Self), moves along, groaning, when breathing becomes difficult at the approach of death.

"When this body grows thin—becomes emaciated or disease—then, as a mango or a fig or a fruit of the peepul tree becomes detached from its stalk, so does this infinite being completely detaching himself from the parts of the body, again move on, in the same way that he came, to another body for the remanisfestation of his vital breath (prana).

"Just as, when a king comes, the ugras appointed to deal with crimes; the sutas and the leaders of the village await him with food and drink and lodgings ready, saying: ‘Here he comes, here he comes,’ even so, for the person who knows about the fruits of his own work, there wait all the elements, saying: ‘Here comes Brahman, here he comes.’

"Just as, when the king wishes to depart, the ugras appointed to deal with crimes, the sutas and the leaders of the village gather around him, even so do all the organs gather around the self, at the time of death, when it struggles for breath."

Yajnavalkya continued: "Now, when that self becomes weak and unconscious, as it were, the organs gather around it. Having wholly seized these particles of light, the self comes to the heart. When the presiding deity of the eye turns back from all sides, the dying man fails to notice colour.

"The eye becomes united with the subtle body; then people say: ‘He does not see.’ The nose becomes united with the subtle body; then they say: ‘He does not smell.’ The tongue becomes united with the subtle body; then they say: ‘He does not taste.’ The vocal organ becomes united with the subtle body; then they say: ‘He does not speak.’ The ear becomes united with the subtle body; then they say: ‘He does not hear.’ The mind becomes united with the subtle body; then they say: ‘He does not think.’ The skin becomes united with the subtle body; then they say: ‘He does not touch.’ The intellect becomes united with the subtle body; then they say: ‘He does not know.’
"The upper end of the heart lights up and by that light the self departs, either through the eye or through the head or through any other part (aperture) of the body.
"And when the self departs, the vital breath follows and when the vital breath departs, all the organs follow.
"Then the self becomes endowed with a particular consciousness and passes on to the body to be attained by that consciousness.
"Knowledge, work and past experience follow the self.

"And just as a leech moving on a blade of grass reaches its end, takes hold of another and draws itself together towards it, so does the self, after throwing off this body, that is to say, after making it unconscious, take hold of another support and draw itself together towards it.

"And just as a goldsmith takes a small quantity of gold and fashions out of it another—a newer and better—form, so does the self, after throwing off this body, that is to say, after making it unconscious, fashion another—a newer and better—form, suited to the Manes, or the gandharvas, or the gods, or Viraj, or Hiranyagarbha, or other beings.

"Regarding this there is the following verse:
"Because of attachment, the transmigrating self, together with its work, attains that result to which its subtle body or mind clings. Having exhausted in the other world the results of whatever work it did in this life, it returns from that world to this world for fresh work.’
"Thus does the man who desires transmigrate. But as to the man who does not desire—who is without desire, who is freed from desire, whose desire is satisfied, whose only object of desire is the Self—his organs do not depart. Being Brahman, he merges in Brahman.

"Regarding this there are the following verses:
"When all the desires that dwell in his heart are got rid of, then does the mortal man become immortal and attain Brahman in this very body.’
"Just as the slough of a snake lies, dead and cast away, on an ant—hill, even so lies this body. Then the self becomes disembodied and immortal Spirit, the Supreme Self (Prana), Brahman, the Light."

"Regarding this there are the following verses:
‘The subtle, ancient path stretching far away has been touched (reached) by me; nay, I have realized it myself. By this path the wise, the knowers of Brahman, move on to the celestial sphere (Liberation) after the fall of this body, having been freed even while living.’

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
@Aupmanyav needs to address the question of whether one's thoughts arise in the somatic cells of the brain or whether a Consciousness is present that makes us think the way we do.
Aupmanyav has already considered that and has formed his opinion - somatic cells of the brain.

Sayak quoted: "But as to the man who does not desire—who is without desire, who is freed from desire, whose desire is satisfied, whose only object of desire is the Self—his organs do not depart. Being Brahman, he merges in Brahman." -Yajnavalkya

Of course, the organs do not depart for one who has merged with Brahmn. The stomach and the heart and the brain remain in the dead body. But then, dead or living, it is all Brahman. There is no second.

Last edited:

Shantanu

Aupmanyav has already considered that and has formed his opinion - somatic cells of the brain.
Over twenty years I have studied my thoughts and especially in my communications with people. I can honestly say that the only reason I survived the persecution meted out on me by the State is because I regarded these thoughts to have had a non somatic origin; in other words they came from a Superior Power that protected me.