• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On topic only: Possibilities in online forums for sustained, purposeful discussions?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
NOTE: I’m posting this in the “Same Faith Debates” forum, which in its rules requires me to specify who I’m inviting to post in this thread. I’m inviting people who agree to respect my intentions for this thread, and to try to stay on the topic that I want to discuss, without flooding it with off-topic posts, for example by debating with each other about some other topic. That does not exclude anything that anyone calls “debating,” if you’re actually trying to stay on the topic that I want to discuss. That doesn’t mean that want to debate about it myself. I don’t. I just want to exchange ideas with people.

Topic: How to have a sustained, purposeful discussion in an online forum.

Have you ever wanted to have a sustained, purposeful discussion in an online forum about some topic with anyone who might be interested, without the thread being flooded with off-topic posts? Have you ever found any way of doing that? If so, how? This thread is actually an experiment to see if I can use this forum for that purpose.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
NOTE: I’m posting this in the “Same Faith Debates” forum, which in its rules requires me to specify who I’m inviting to post in this thread. I’m inviting people who agree to respect my intentions for this thread, and to try to stay on the topic that I want to discuss, without flooding it with off-topic posts, for example by debating with each other about some other topic. That does not exclude anything that anyone calls “debating,” if you’re actually trying to stay on the topic that I want to discuss. That doesn’t mean that want to debate about it myself. I don’t. I just want to exchange ideas with people.

Have you ever wanted to have a sustained, purposeful discussion in an online forum about some topic with anyone who might be interested, without the thread being flooded with off-topic posts? Have you ever found any way of doing that? If so, how? This thread is actually an experiment to see if I can use this forum for that purpose.

What topic?

Milton Platt

It's going to happen. I don't think it is intentional. But it's like asking a question in a room full of people and they all start discussing it among themselves and the original question becomes forgotten. I circumvent that problem by inviting individuals to a private conversation sometimes. Only they and I can see the conversation.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
What topic?
Maybe I misunderstood. Do your ideas for how to have a sustained, purposeful discussion depend in the topic of discussion? Are you asking for examples of topics, so that you can give your ideas about how to have sustained, purposeful discussions on those topics? If you’ve found ways of doing that, you can use whatever your topics were in those discussions, as examples for explaining your ideas.

Terry Sampson

Have you ever found any way of doing that? If so, how?
Yes. Once, by posting a thread in the One-on-One Sub-forum and by previous arrangement with specific persons, inviting them into that thread. Only once did I have to caution anyone who was not invited into the thread that they had to be invited in order to post in the thread, which they could have requested by sending me a PM. On other occasions, I have opened private threads with different folks using the Conversation mode. Access to the latter option is by clicking on the envelope next to your name in the upper right hand of any page.

Screenshot_2020-02-08.png

Screenshot_2020-02-08 Forums.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim

Skwim

Veteran Member

I've always considered off topic posts to be irrelevant to carrying on a discussion. Those who truly want to discuss a topic will do so regardless of what others around them are talking about; ignoring them is a very simple undertaking. And if people stop discussing a topic it's because the topic has run its course. So sustaining a "purposeful discussion" isn't a matter of keeping the road clear of other traffic, but of keeping the discussion alive within itself. Some topics are simply not that interesting to others, and if replied to at all, are predestined for a very short life.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Thank you. I've been here for a good many years and think I gave up on keeping to one topic threads. A lot of the questions in part are repeats but I never really seen answers that aren't side tracked and miscued.

I notice people put in bold "this is for christians" for example. That works to an extent but because it's a public forum, it doesn't go very far. Other times it goes off because people debate the question's validity (rather than clarification) before the topic.

Other times I don't think people have enough interest in a topic to stay on track. For example, I'm sure biblical discussions would be great regardless the religion of a person. However, if it's one sided or "owned" by one party, it's hard to appreciate the topic (of religion) without needing to defend why one is interested in it in the first place.

I gave up really. When I post a topic, if I don't get at least a page or two of worthwhile discussion, I drop it. I get bored more easily. That's probably another reason of off topic threads. Not many people offer a new perspective of the same topic.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Yes. Once, by posting a thread in the One-on-One Sub-forum and by previous arrangement with specific persons, inviting them into that thread. Only once did I have to caution anyone who was not invited into the thread that they had to be invited in order to post in the thread, which they could have requested by sending me a PM. On other occasions, I have opened private threads with different folks using the Conversation mode. Access to the latter option is by clicking on the envelope next to your name in the upper right hand of any page.
Thank you. That’s very helpful.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
The responses here have already been better than the best I was hoping for.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Before I respond, what do you consider "off-topic?"

Also, what does this thread have to do with religion and from what same faith are you wishing participation here?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
  1. If you create a thread in this subforum it is your responsibility to indicate which group(s) you want to restrict the thread to. If you do not specify group(s), the RF staff may move your thread at their discretion. When you create a thread in this subforum, also do the following:
    1. List the specified group(s) in the title of your thread
    2. Elaborate on those group(s) in the opening post of your thread, if necessary
I’ve specified the group as being people who agree to respect my intentions for this thread, and to try to stay on the topic that I want to discuss, without flooding it with off-topic posts, for example by debating with each other about some other topic.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I’ve specified the group as being people who agree to respect my intentions for this thread, and to try to stay on the topic that I want to discuss, without flooding it with off-topic posts, for example by debating with each other about some other topic.

Well, I suppose "people who agree to respect Jim's intentions" could be considered a group, and you've made some valid points, so I don't see any issue with the location or topic.

If you'd like me to clean up this exchange in keeping with the spirit of the thread, let me know and I can make these posts disappear. :)

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Well, I suppose "people who agree to respect Jim's intentions" could be considered a group, and you've made some valid points, so I don't see any issue with the location or topic.

If you'd like me to clean up this exchange in keeping with the spirit of the thread, let me know and I can make these posts disappear. :)
Either way is okay with me. Actually, I think that it fits the topic and helps clarify it, but I wouldn’t object to removing it.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Now I’m thinking that I might be stretching the idea of a group too far, outside of the intent of this forum. Maybe the “Invitation Only” forum would be better.