• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On the Ten Commandments

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Shavua tov, I heard once that Reform tend to view the Ten Commandments (maybe all of the commandments, though I heard this specifically about the 10) as "suggestions" (meaning: a person isn't necessarily obligated to keep them). Is this true?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Guys, I'm not a mod, but this is the Reform DIR. I'd appreciate hearing Reform Jewish answers, thank you.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
The Torah, including the Decalogue, was given to the children of Israel. It is incumbent upon them to fulfill it. "Israel" is a lot more than the Jewish people. It includes those of northwestern European descent. When God comes, she will make a new covenant with Gentiles, superseding the Noachide covenant. Israel is required to be Holy and to keep all of God's 613 commandments. Gentiles are only required to be righteous.
Since when are northwestern Europeans not Gentiles? I have all sorts of respect for the Scottish, but they aren't b'nei Yisrael, according to Reform Judaism.

IndigoChild5559

Hi Harel. Although I'm personally non-denominational Jew, I've been attending a Reform synagogue for the last 10 years. I still can't make heads or tails out of reform teaching on the laws. This is only my impression: some laws seem to be laws, like "Don't commit adultery." Other laws seem to be optional, or up for personal interpretation, like "Honor the Shabbat." Again, that's my personal impression after a decade.

IndigoChild5559

The USA is modern day Israel proper. After Joseph, Ephraim possessed the Birthright and the Blessing and he became a "multitude of nations". Genesis 48:15-22. All of the actors in the play are American except for possibly King David. They have been reincarnated and include Elijah the Prophet, Gabriel and Michael the arch-Angels, and Deborah the Judge. The Messiah is an American. The Messiah is also identified as "the stone of Israel" in Genesis, Daniel, and other prophetic books. Genesis 49:24.
NONE of what you are saying is Reform Judaism, or Judaism of any sort. What are you doing in this DIR?

and just for the record, we Americans don't believe this either.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

It is incredibly ignorant to not believe or understand that the lost House of Israel is the USA. We are called Israel in the Bible. We are a very prominent country in the world. How could God not have known about us? I also attended a Reform Synagogue for ten years. It is called Ohef Shalom and Lee Snitzer was their assistant Rabbi. If you know anything about Messianic prophecy, those two names should ring a bell.
None of this would be allowed to be spoken at my Reform synagogue

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Talk about this thread escalating sideways...
Anyway, @IndigoChild5559 - basically, the moral commandments are obligatory and enforced while the less-understood ones are open for interpretation/optional?

IndigoChild5559

Honestly I have no idea. I’ve never actually inquired because I didn’t want to cause trouble. I just do what I have been taught is right without making waves. And really there are some things I greatly appreciate about them.