• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On the other side of life.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I'm reminded of a quote. Unfortunately, I can't remember who said it:

"Death is only the end if you assume the story is all about you."
That's a good one

I heard a similar anecdote about human ego

People think they are so important, but just imagine yourself standing on earth, zooming in to your country, zooming in to your city, your street, your house...that should create some sort of humility in a rational person

Goldemar

A queer sort
Maybe it is impossible to know before we go there, but.

What is it that waiting for us just after we passing?
For those who have come back after NDE have similar, but still different answers.

I wish i could say i had my clear answer, but I have not :)

Any thoughts?

Just after passing, I think it depends. Those who have freed themselves from attachment to their physical bodies and the material world will begin a journey on to a spiritual Heaven. Those who have not will remain attached to their physical bodies or the idea of their physical bodies for a time and then they will be trapped again in new physical bodies in the material world by the evil creator of the material world (who is not the God in Heaven).

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

I don't believe that it isn't possible to know what the afterlife will be like before we cross over into the spirit world.

Based on my knowledge of the spirit world, a human spirit's experience in the afterlife can be positive or negative. I'm not referring to an afterlife in either heaven or hell, but an eternal state of existence that isn't constrained to a static place (heaven or hell) and it isn't restricted by the laws of time and space. If you'd like to know what I believe about the afterlife, then you can read a couple of my prior posts here and here, if you haven't already. If I haven't answered your questions as you'd like, then I don't mind discussing the subject further and answering any specific questions that you may have, but I don't want a vigorous debate about it. PM me, if you would like.

Last edited:

Truth in love

For those who have come back after NDE have similar, but still different answers.

Any thoughts?

Prophets at times have given us bits and pieces.

There is some great stuff in Isaiah and Revelation
these are links to my two favorites about what it is like in the after life (neither is supper short)
Doctrine and Covenants 76

Doctrine and Covenants 138

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Whatever the foundation of reality is eternal consciousness is apart of it. The source reality cannot be known from our limited perspective.

Since consciousness manifests in the physical world, and intellect forms life, I suspect the afterlife will be far more interesting than this present existence.

I don't expect there to be moral authority in the afterlife. So the same problems of corruption will probably be there.

I don't think life is the main goal of existence though. Though maybe life is a cosmic imperative.

The physical realm is like a veil from actual reality. I suspect the universe is an experimental place.

The afterlife might be more vivid and intensely powerful.

And if ever there should be gods, they are probably not supreme, and are subject to existence and not the masters of it.

AdamjEdgar

If you'd like to know what I believe about the afterlife
Whilst I am a fan of the song, Lennons philosophical view fails because of a single problem...man's inhumanity to man, and that is clear evidence there must be a true Christian God...it's the only world view with extensive historical support that really does explain how the heck this all turned to s.h.i.t and who really is capable of fixing it!

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Whilst I am a fan of the song, Lennons philosophical view fails because of a single problem...man's inhumanity to man, and that is clear evidence there must be a true Christian God...it's the only world view with extensive historical support that really does explain how the heck this all turned to s.h.i.t and who really is capable of fixing it!

You're referring to the song Imagine and not the topic of this thread. Now, I see. I was confused for a few seconds trying to figure out what you were talking about and then it dawned on me that you're referring to the song lyrics in my signature. That was a bit random.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Is that a belief?

No. It's what the evidence suggests is most likely true.

This is not a challenge to offend atheists, just asking out of curiousity

There's no reason to think there's anything after death.
Asking the question "what is after death", assumes there is something / anything.

So it's a loaded question.

All the evidence suggests it ends at death.
So to ask the loaded question, to me sounds like a waste of time.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Does it have ro be a proof for it to be real? It can exist even human can not use science to find it?

Yes, that goes for everything.

Including for the undetectable goblins that live under my garage.
You can't prove they aren't real. They could be real. How would you know?

A better question is though: why would you assume them to be real? Why would you even suggest they exist?

Brian2

Veteran Member
All the evidence that indicates a functioning brain is required for thought, for starters.

NDEs have been mentioned. OBEs in NDEs, where people have experienced verifiable events witnessed from outside their body, when their brains were not functioning and their eyes were not open etc, suggest that a functioning brain is not necessarily required for thought and for other things we usually associate with functions only of the body.

Brian2

Veteran Member
It is perfectly well-known in science, though most people deny the obvious because of its starkness.
After death, it is disintegration of the body and annihilation of identity.
NDE is a sort of 'Last Tango' of the brain, it does not last beyond minutes.Yes, what constitutes us reincarnate. The atoms drift apart and reincrnate as constituents of living and non-living substances. Atomic, chemical reincarnation.

NDEs seem to be more that just brain activity in many cases.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
NDEs have been mentioned. OBEs in NDEs, where people have experienced verifiable events witnessed from outside their body, when their brains were not functioning and their eyes were not open etc, suggest that a functioning brain is not necessarily required for thought and for other things we usually associate with functions only of the body.
If there's ever been a real verifiable OBE, I haven't heard of it.

The characteristics of NDEs are consistent with a dying brain and are themselves evidence that a functioning brain is required for thought.

PearlSeeker

Any thoughts?
Life from the cradle to the grave is the only life that I know and the only I can be certain about it. For now.

Brian2

Veteran Member
If there's ever been a real verifiable OBE, I haven't heard of it.

The characteristics of NDEs are consistent with a dying brain and are themselves evidence that a functioning brain is required for thought.

I don't know how it can be said that the characteristics of NDEs are consistent with a dying brain unless the characteristics of a dying brain are somehow known outside of NDEs.
Or are you saying that a scientist has decided that NDE experience is what a dying brain does? and that this person does not even have to bring in the possibility of an afterlife or spirit etc because that has not been shown to exist?
There have been NDEs where the people have reported witnessing verified events in other rooms.
This imo should be verified OBE but I don't think that science would see it that way.
So that would mean it would be up to you whether you would see something like this as verified OBE. (verified to you that is)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't know how it can be said that the characteristics of NDEs are consistent with a dying brain unless the characteristics of a dying brain are somehow known outside of NDEs.
Or are you saying that a scientist has decided that NDE experience is what a dying brain does? and that this person does not even have to bring in the possibility of an afterlife or spirit etc because that has not been shown to exist?
There have been NDEs where the people have reported witnessing verified events in other rooms.
This imo should be verified OBE but I don't think that science would see it that way.
So that would mean it would be up to you whether you would see something like this as verified OBE. (verified to you that is)
I don't think you're interested in a reasonable discussion on this issue.