• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On mantras

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I'm wondering whether any mantra is good enough to propitiate a deity?

For example, to propitiate Lord Krishna, is 'om kleem krishnaya namah' as good as the mahamantra?

I want to say the former because of several reasons, foremost being that it is short.

Also, does anyone know the meaning and significance of 'om kleem krishnaya namah'? Kindly clarify. Thanks.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

For example, to propitiate Lord Krishna, is 'om kleem krishnaya namah' as good as the mahamantra?

I want to say the former because of several reasons, foremost being that it is short.

Also, does anyone know the meaning and significance of 'om kleem krishnaya namah'? Kindly clarify. Thanks.
Though I am not a Hindu, I think what is in your heart is more important than words you are rattling on in your brain. My advice would be to go with either one for a defined period and then switch to the other for a period of time and see if your meditation is somehow different. In my ignorant view, the mantra itself is not important, but rather the frame of mind (state of mind) and intent of the devotee is king as that is what is driving the mantra. I will, of course, defer to any Hindu's who claim otherwise.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I certainly don't know much, Viraja. I do know that 'kleem' is a seed mantra, and has no specific meaning on its own. Seed mantras all have no meaning, and are just the sound. I'm guessing it has a vibratory rate equivalent to something. Perhaps, as Ymir suggested, some experimentation is in order.

At one time I thought that any sound would have same results. So when I was about 18 or so, and some friends took initiation into TM, I just used an invented sound as my mantram, and played with that for awhile. Later, (after my own mantra diksha) I learned the sound is really important.

A priest would know the answer to this. I ask my local priest on such matters.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
My mantra (in English), is "(Hey) Krishna, I am happy and satisfied, thanks for help." 'Hey' is to get his attention.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Vinayaka ji, that is great suggestion, I will try out first one mantra for a while... thanks a bunch.

All good replies, esp. thanking YmirGF for valuable input, vibes well with my original thought. Thanks.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Literal meaning:

Om is the sacred sound and purifies you as a "blank slate" for the rest of the mantra, so that nothing else interferes.

Kleem is a bija like Om, but I'm not familiar with it directly. If it's like Kali's "Kreem" it prepares your mind for the energies of the rest of the mantra.

Krishnaya is addressing Krishna.

Namah is best I can describe, to "bow to" "be with" or mind of? Something roughly like that, as I understand it.

More generally I will say that any mantra that has the same intent and meaning and is done with correct pronunciation I think will do the job.