• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On-line Sabbath Shopping?

We know that Jesus said the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath. We know that if our Ox falls into a pit then we are right to release it. We know that those who honour the Sabbath are giving a sign to the Lord that they are his people. We know that we should not cause our man servants or maid servants to work Sabbath. So, is it okay to shop on-line on the Sabbath?

Crosstian

Baring the Cross
We know that Jesus said the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath. We know that if our Ox falls into a pit then we are right to release it. We know that those who honour the Sabbath are giving a sign to the Lord that they are his people. We know that we should not cause our man servants or maid servants to work Sabbath. So, is it okay to shop on-line on the Sabbath?
Short answer, "No."

Neh 13:16 There dwelt men of Tyre also therein, which brought fish, and all manner of ware, and sold on the sabbath unto the children of Judah, and in Jerusalem.
Neh 13:17 Then I contended with the nobles of Judah, and said unto them, What evil thing is this that ye do, and profane the sabbath day?
Neh 13:18 Did not your fathers thus, and did not our God bring all this evil upon us, and upon this city? yet ye bring more wrath upon Israel by profaning the sabbath.
Neh 13:19 And it came to pass, that when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the sabbath, I commanded that the gates should be shut, and charged that they should not be opened till after the sabbath: and some of my servants set I at the gates, that there should no burden be brought in on the sabbath day.
Neh 13:20 So the merchants and sellers of all kind of ware lodged without Jerusalem once or twice.
Neh 13:21 Then I testified against them, and said unto them, Why lodge ye about the wall? if ye do so again, I will lay hands on you. From that time forth came they no more on the sabbath.​

The 7th day the sabbath of the LORD is not about doing our common business. Yet, there is at least two parties, if not three. The buyer, the seller, and the middleman (transaction medium/person, bank, paypal, etc) The buyer ought not buy upon sabbath for their own business, and the seller, if they also keep sabbath, download the transactions the following day, and do not charge anything upon sabbath. In other words the seller, if they keep sabbath, holds the transactions until they are processed the following business day. This is how it worked when I was with a ministry that dealt with sales transactions, and which kept sabbath.

You may find out more here:

Library of Resources: - SDA Maranatha Multicultural Church in American Samoa

shmogie

We know that the sabbath was given to the Jews as a perpetual sign between God and they as His special people.

So why not ask a Jew about shopping online, since they are the ones who are required to keep the sabbath

We know that the sabbath was given to the Jews as a perpetual sign between God and they as His special people.

So why not ask a Jew about shopping online, since they are the ones who are required to keep the sabbath

Thank you for raising the question about the Jewish Sabbath observance. I believe that the Sabbath was introduced long before there was ever a Jew upon the Earth and as such it was a part of the Law of Righteousness that Abraham and Noah lived under. When Jesus taught the sermon on the mount he told his followers:
“Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 5:19-20
In the absence of Jesus telling us that the Law of the Sabbath was not to be continued, it is evident that he expected this to be honoured. In the same way as the rest of the Ten Commandments were to be honoured. Just as the law against Adultery was enhanced by Jesus, so I also believe the law of the Sabbath would also be kept.
I hope this is a useful reply.

Short answer, "No."

Neh 13:16 There dwelt men of Tyre also therein, which brought fish, and all manner of ware, and sold on the sabbath unto the children of Judah, and in Jerusalem.
Neh 13:17 Then I contended with the nobles of Judah, and said unto them, What evil thing is this that ye do, and profane the sabbath day?
Neh 13:18 Did not your fathers thus, and did not our God bring all this evil upon us, and upon this city? yet ye bring more wrath upon Israel by profaning the sabbath.
Neh 13:19 And it came to pass, that when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the sabbath, I commanded that the gates should be shut, and charged that they should not be opened till after the sabbath: and some of my servants set I at the gates, that there should no burden be brought in on the sabbath day.
Neh 13:20 So the merchants and sellers of all kind of ware lodged without Jerusalem once or twice.
Neh 13:21 Then I testified against them, and said unto them, Why lodge ye about the wall? if ye do so again, I will lay hands on you. From that time forth came they no more on the sabbath.​

The 7th day the sabbath of the LORD is not about doing our common business. Yet, there is at least two parties, if not three. The buyer, the seller, and the middleman (transaction medium/person, bank, paypal, etc) The buyer ought not buy upon sabbath for their own business, and the seller, if they also keep sabbath, download the transactions the following day, and do not charge anything upon sabbath. In other words the seller, if they keep sabbath, holds the transactions until they are processed the following business day. This is how it worked when I was with a ministry that dealt with sales transactions, and which kept sabbath.

You may find out more here:

Library of Resources: - SDA Maranatha Multicultural Church in American Samoa

Thank you. I have watched the media you posted also. Interesting and thought provoking. I believe that the early Apostles would go into the synagogues and preach on their Sabbath as that is a time to catch many Jews all at once. However, that is another thread about Colossians 2:16 :)
Thank you for your reply.