• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On a kind of intellectual existentialism

Ostronomos

An argument can be made that intelligence has certain advantages that contribute to the benefit of the creation of reality. Think of the observer dependent universe. Like many Philosophers, I happen to believe that there is a purpose for existence. Neitzche was only a product of his circumstances and he refused to see beyond his self-gratification. From the perspective of the average person, high intelligences are something to admire. This is because it distinguishes the few from the many, thereby offering an advantage. From the perspective of the highly intelligent, they may see life as mind-numbingly boring. But the higher the intelligence the fewer the limits, despite the fact that we are earthbound. I should know, I am able to become the smartest person in human history using Tetrahydrocannabinolic acid.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Are you aware of this? See attached.

Attachments

• tp2015201a.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

PureX

Veteran Member
An argument can be made that intelligence has certain advantages that contribute to the benefit of the creation of reality.
There is, however, a distinct difference between intelligence and wisdom. Wisdom being the ability to apply whatever degree of intelligence one possesses to achieve the best result.
Think of the observer dependent universe. Like many Philosophers, I happen to believe that there is a purpose for existence.
And yet that belief cannot tell you that purpose. It can only enable you to choose from among those you can imagine.
From the perspective of the average person, high intelligences are something to admire.
And yet so many resent being made to feel unintelligent by comparison. Which is mostly why they are and remain unintelligent. Again, here, wisdom would have resolved this. As wisdom allows us to see what we don't know as a gift, both to the student and the teacher.
This is because it distinguishes the few from the many, thereby offering an advantage.
The advantage is the disadvantage, and the disadvantage is the advantage. Being is balance.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
There is an "a posteriori" purpose to our existence. We evolved as elaborate mech-suits to protect our DNA and aid in its replication.

I would hypothesize, based on the studies I've read, that high charisma and good looks help more than intelligence for that. Even with your example, Nietzsche himself died without any children.

As for viewing life as mind-numbingly boring, I have an IQ over 160. Beyond the fact that "intelligence" is arguably more of a cultural construct and a subjective value, I think IQ does a decent enough job at measuring what we generally consider important aspects of intelligence. I think it would be fair to say that I'm a highly intelligent person, although "highly" is again subjective, but I am in the top 0.01% of intelligence scores.

I do not find life mind-numbingly boring. This might be because I'm also autistic and have very low charisma, which is apparently common among people with higher IQs, and that carries with it some unique struggles that most people never need to deal with.

I also enjoy studying formal logic, computer science, and information technology, which can all be done for reasonably cheap. I find these topics very engaging and I enjoy talking about them even to those who aren't as knowledgeable or interested in them as I am.

I don't think we should admire people for their intelligence and I don't think the highly intelligent are somehow set apart from the rest of humanity by their intelligence. Yes, having a higher intelligence means that I excel more in technical and mathematical subjects. That's not all there is to life. Trying to divide people into these arbitrary categories only creates division, which leads to unnecessary harm.

Can't we all just be human? Can't we just respect one another as fellow citizens of the world in mutual support of one another's autonomy?

Ostronomos

I scored 137 sd 16 on the Mensa practice test and the same on a test that measured a large random sample of the population. Although there is an unavoidable sense of pride in my intelligence, I see that some of you have made an interesting point about the associated disadvantages. It certainly serves me well in social situations. I sought further information on IQ and came across this site: What Is General Intelligence (G Factor)? (verywellmind.com)

I am driven to master certain technical subjects beyond the grasp of most (99% of people). Such as C++ programming. I strike a balance between work and play and make time for both.