• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Omnist

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I suppose I am an Omnist in a way. I believe there is the potential for good and growth in all religions, and that any can be a figurative roadmap for a person who's wanting to use it.

But, some like the mountains, others like the desert, others will go on foot, others in a plane. Some religions do not attract certain types, some may find them 'ugly'. Perhaps they'll adventure into one that they find beauty in...

And some don't have any urge for any of it, and instead 'stay home'. And that's okay, too.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I respect all religions, as they are all paths that ultimately lead to truth, however, I'm not sure I would go as far as to say that truth is found within all of them.

You can label me an omnist or not. I'm not attached to labels.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
@Exaltist Ethan Weren't you interested in this subject?
Yes, I consider myself an Omnist too of sorts, although I will say I don't view each religion as complete equals, but even fringe groups like JWs and LDS has some amount of truth in them (not much though). For example, if I take the Select Smart 'what religion am I' quiz, I don't believe I score 0% in any category, not even the irreligions. For me Liberal Quakers and UUs match up at 100% and 99% and Nontheist and Conservative Protestant are 12% and 6%, respectively. Like the Unitarians I don't try to understand what is true and what is not but rather what is true about it. If that makes sense.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I am omnist, the belief that no religion is the only truth, but that truth is found within them all

I am not surprised that you are an omnist, Starlight. On your spiritual journey, you have genuinely found many things true in various religions. :)

I believe there is the potential for good and growth in all religions, and that any can be a figurative roadmap for a person who's wanting to use it.

I like what you say here. A good example, I think, of the potential for good and growth in a religion would be a person imitating the character of Ali ibn Abi Talib, the first Imam of the Shia. I remember reading a quotation where a Christian writer from one or two centuries ago stated that it is hard to hate Ali because he is so much like the ideal Christian knight. As well, when it comes to a figurative roadmap, I think Sufi philosophies and paths are good roadmaps that lead to the encounter with God. I don’t think the same so much with the more legalistic and literalist forms of religions.

I respect all religions, as they are all paths that ultimately lead to truth

I take it that your keyword here is ultimately. When I was a Hellenic polytheist (and sometimes Roman polytheist) sometime in my early 20s, I liked adoring Olympians and other divinities, but I felt that something was missing. Something far greater. It prompted me to consider the more monotheistic traditions until I embraced Sanātana Dharma.

You can label me an omnist or not. I'm not attached to labels.

I wish that I were the same way about the label ‘Hindu.’

I am omnist, the belief that no religion is the only truth, but that truth is found within them all

Are there more omnists on this forum?
Hello I am a Cat and an Omnist by the definition you have given here.
Thing Is I tend to get a bit more complicated with it because if I want to accurately represent myself I would have to argue that certain things seem more true than other but you know that is just how it goes.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

Are there more omnists on this forum?
I don’t define myself as anything, but I see wisdom -and madness!- in most things; including faiths, religions …and also in myself.

Some people speak of “cherry-picking”, but as far as I know, I’m not “picking” anything - I’m merely attentively observing and reflecting.

“Truth” (singular) in most contexts, to me, is too narrow a term. Truths (plural) simply means that there are things that are definitely lies.

Humbly,
Hermit