• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Omnist

Tabb

I'm new to the RF and was admonished in one of the forums for speaking out of term because I wasn't a member of that particular religion. For that I apologize. My question is what Forum do you go to if you're an Omnist?

Omnism is the belief in all religions; those who hold this belief are called omnists (or Omnists). The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) quotes as the term's earliest usage the 1839 long poem "Festus" by English poet Philip J. Bailey: "I am an omnist, and believe in all religions". In recent years, the term has been emerging anew, due to the interest of modern day self-described omnists who have rediscovered and begun to redefine the term. It is best thought of as syncretism taken to its logical extreme.

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard
I would be defined as an omnist by that definition then, but i refer to myself as spiritual because 1) I am, and 2) because theres still chunks of beliefs from every religion I disagree with, but often think theres still purpose for it. So I cant say I believe in every religion 100%.

Tabb

I would be defined as an omnist by that definition then, but i refer to myself as spiritual because 1) I am, and 2) because theres still chunks of beliefs from every religion I disagree with, but often think theres still purpose for it. So I cant say I believe in every religion 100%.

A modern Omnist doesn't accept 100% of all religions either. What I look for is the universal truth in all religions. We're sort of the Existentialist of religion. I don't see God as a Man in the sky pulling levers to control everything but as a Spiritual force that we all can access because he is in all of us. I believe God has communicated to a few select individuals outwardly to get his message to us. Those communications resulted in the formation of religions. I think what we know as science is how he gets things done. The more we can learn about ourselves and the universe, the better.

I could go on and on but I think you get the gist.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!

To feel better, have some....
bacon.jpg

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
G'day Tabb, welcome to RF.
In general terms, you can post wherever you like.
However, there are DIR (Discuss Individual Religion) areas which have different rules to the rest of RF.

Main thing to be aware of is that the colour of the DIR indicates how strictly it will be moderated, but ALL DIRs are more strictly moderated than other parts of RF.

Blue DIRS mean non-members of that area are limited only to respectful questions, and are not allowed to make any non-question posts.

Green DIRS mean non-members of that area may make respectful posts that comply with the tenets and spirit of that area. This includes questions, as well as knowledgeable comments.

To confuse things a little, there are also political 'DIR's which are coloured pink. Capitalism, Feminism, etc. To post in those areas, you should identify with those groups. This link takes you to a post explaining the broad definitions we use with relation to those groups, since different countries and individuals might define them differently.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/feminist-only/165995-definitions-restricted-political-areas.html

Debating is not allowed in any DIRs, blue, green, pink, or light gray. Not that there actually IS a light gray DIR. And not that you'd be able to see it if there was....ahem...

Hope that makes sense, feel free to PM me, or any other staff members with further questions not dealt with here, or by the other posters.

Philomath

Sadhaka
I'm new to the RF and was admonished in one of the forums for speaking out of term because I wasn't a member of that particular religion. For that I apologize. My question is what Forum do you go to if you're an Omnist?

Omnism is the belief in all religions; those who hold this belief are called omnists (or Omnists). The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) quotes as the term's earliest usage the 1839 long poem "Festus" by English poet Philip J. Bailey: "I am an omnist, and believe in all religions". In recent years, the term has been emerging anew, due to the interest of modern day self-described omnists who have rediscovered and begun to redefine the term. It is best thought of as syncretism taken to its logical extreme.

When I first joined this site I was an Omnist too :D

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/seekers-dir/148105-omnism.html

I wasn't really sure what to do either but you can always browse the UU forum

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator

I have no religion, an as such, you remain most welcome.

Speak your mind as you please.

I promise some "mod" will find a place for you. :)