• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Omnism: Is there Truth in all Religions?

Laika

Premium Member
I remember that the first time I met an Omnist was on RF and I liked the idea. Omnism is the "belief in all religions" and belief "in a single transcendent purpose or cause uniting all things".

Intuitively, it makes sense. If man created all religions, all religions will contain some idea based on human experience of a shared reality. The fact that religions will ultimately still correspond to a shared reality means that there will be some shared truths between them. The belief in a "one true faith" rests on a great deal of arrogance and pride, particularly because it means treating one group of people are superior to another, when we all have relatively equal faculties in the brain (even if we may not use them equally effectively or use it in different ways).

This doesn't necessarily mean all religions are all true as it is dependent on the methods we use to establish the validity of individual beliefs. So religions contain a mixture of truth, honestly mistaken illusions and maybe some deception as well. Its still important to sort through them and figure out what the good parts are and what we can learn from older religious traditions when creating new ones.

This may belong in the syncretic sub-forum but as an idea to explore as a basis for a new religion, I think it deserves to be here in the New Religious Movements DIR. It raises the possibility of creating new religions based on the shared truths of the old.

Do you think there is value in the view that all religions contain some truth?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The religions of the world have their crumbs but their loaves have long since turned to dust.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
In my opinion:

There is an ultimate truth (Perennial philosophy - Wikipedia), and each religion can be cross referenced to see what the others missed...

Thus recreating a full loaf of bread; yet if we've never seen a loaf of bread before, then it might not come out as expected.

Especially don't use Pharisee leaven (John, Paul, Simon the stone (petros)), and then religion can be seen as a global whole. :innocent:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There are many ways to "climb the mountain". The point I'd to get to the top. Arguing about which is a better way is not climbing.

Laika

Premium Member
The religions of the world have their crumbs but their loaves have long since turned to dust.

...then let them eat cake! :D

In my opinion:

There is an ultimate truth (Perennial philosophy - Wikipedia), and each religion can be cross referenced to see what the others missed...

Thus recreating a full loaf of bread; yet if we've never seen a loaf of bread before, then it might not come out as expected.

Especially don't use Pharisee leaven (John, Paul, Simon the stone (petros)), and then religion can be seen as a global whole. :innocent:

Thanks for the link on Perennial Philosophy. That could be really useful. :)

There are many ways to "climb the mountain". The point I'd to get to the top. Arguing about which is a better way is not climbing.

Do you think all religions are trying to reach the same destination?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I remember that the first time I met an Omnist was on RF and I liked the idea. Omnism is the "belief in all religions" and belief "in a single transcendent purpose or cause uniting all things".

Intuitively, it makes sense. If man created all religions, all religions will contain some idea based on human experience of a shared reality. The fact that religions will ultimately still correspond to a shared reality means that there will be some shared truths between them. The belief in a "one true faith" rests on a great deal of arrogance and pride, particularly because it means treating one group of people are superior to another, when we all have relatively equal faculties in the brain (even if we may not use them equally effectively or use it in different ways).

This doesn't necessarily mean all religions are all true as it is dependent on the methods we use to establish the validity of individual beliefs. So religions contain a mixture of truth, honestly mistaken illusions and maybe some deception as well. Its still important to sort through them and figure out what the good parts are and what we can learn from older religious traditions when creating new ones.

This may belong in the syncretic sub-forum but as an idea to explore as a basis for a new religion, I think it deserves to be here in the New Religious Movements DIR. It raises the possibility of creating new religions based on the shared truths of the old.

No.

But it's pretty clear and straightforward that most, if not all religions arise from interpretations as to what the actual truth of the matter is, or was, or will be.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Do you think all religions are trying to reach the same destination?
The words used are very different. And there are those who would argue about semantics and scriptural differences but to me the answer is yes they are at least for the major world religions. They all have as an ethical goal the "golden rule", for example.

I have a very small book "Oneness: Great Principles Shared by All Religions" which quotes from various scriptures on topics including "Speak Truth", "More Blessed to Give than Receive", people reap what they sow, don't judge others and so forth.

I tend to over-repeat the "Blind Men and the Elephant" story which illustrates the differences between religions and the fact that they all have one part of the Truth but none have a complete picture.

Laika

Premium Member
The words used are very different. And there are those who would argue about semantics and scriptural differences but to me the answer is yes they are at least for the major world religions. They all have as an ethical goal the "golden rule", for example.

I have a very small book "Oneness: Great Principles Shared by All Religions" which quotes from various scriptures on topics including "Speak Truth", "More Blessed to Give than Receive", people reap what they sow, don't judge others and so forth.

I tend to over-repeat the "Blind Men and the Elephant" story which illustrates the differences between religions and the fact that they all have one part of the Truth but none have a complete picture.

Thanks for the Video. :)

I liked that story and it did help illustrate your point. I have a very vague memory of hearing it when I was at primary school (possibly during a School Assembly) but its been years since I've heard it.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Yes.

They all are based on stories which are neither true nor false in the scientific sense. The only problem is when people claim of their religion specific scientific or historical facts which are provably false.