• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Omnipresent, Omniscient, Omnipotent. Omnivore

Earthling

David Henson
Religiosity has distorted the application of the terms Omni when used in association with Jehovah God of the Bible. God isn't omnipresent. His position is said to be in heaven, so he can't be all places at once. Omniscient and omnipotent are used in an exaggerated way in religious context. Omni comes from the Greek, meaning all, but, just as the term omnivore doesn't imply that an animal will eat literally everything the same logical limitations should be considered when the omni titles are applied to God. An omnivore doesn't eat space time continuum's or thermonuclear warheads. Except for perhaps, in cartoons. Likewise, God can't be everywhere all at once, nor know everything all the time, nor do anything.

God can't lie. God had to ask Adam and Eve, and Cain what they had done. God sent angels to see if Sodom and Gomorrah was as bad as people had been praying to him, and his position is fixed in heaven, though he has appeared in other places. It would be pointless to say God was with Moses on the mountain, or inside Solomon's newly constructed temple.

God can be where ever he wants, can get any information he wants, and can do anything that's within the harmony of his personality and will. But that's as far as it goes.

Earthling

David Henson
Since it's in Scriptural debates, do you have relevant Scripture for that and how do you dismiss the traditionally quoted Scriptures for omnipresence?

It could be a matter of interpretation. Like the example I gave with omnivore. It isn't literal to the extreme. If there are scriptures that present God as being here or there this indicates that he isn't everywhere all at once. I have scriptural references but do you need them? Adam, Cain, Sodom. God doesn't know what is going on and inquires to that effect. (Genesis 3:11 / Genesis 4:9-10 / Genesis 18:20-21 / Titus 1:2 / 1 Kings 8:39)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Religiosity has distorted the application of the terms Omni when used in association with Jehovah God of the Bible. God isn't omnipresent. His position is said to be in heaven, so he can't be all places at once.

Jeremiah 23:24
Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the Lord. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the Lord.

The Bible says here that God fills heaven and earth. You however are placing him only in heaven.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the Lord. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the Lord.

The Bible says here that God fills heaven and earth. You however are placing him only in heaven.
Sounds real simple to me.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

If I fill a cup with water, it can properly be said that i filled the cup. Can you show me how the verse or verses you might defence show that my cup interpretation is invalid?

Language is tricky.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Religiosity has distorted the application of the terms Omni when used in association with Jehovah God of the Bible. God isn't omnipresent. His position is said to be in heaven, so he can't be all places at once. Omniscient and omnipotent are used in an exaggerated way in religious context. Omni comes from the Greek, meaning all, but, just as the term omnivore doesn't imply that an animal will eat literally everything the same logical limitations should be considered when the omni titles are applied to God. An omnivore doesn't eat space time continuum's or thermonuclear warheads. Except for perhaps, in cartoons. Likewise, God can't be everywhere all at once, nor know everything all the time, nor do anything.

God can't lie. God had to ask Adam and Eve, and Cain what they had done. God sent angels to see if Sodom and Gomorrah was as bad as people had been praying to him, and his position is fixed in heaven, though he has appeared in other places. It would be pointless to say God was with Moses on the mountain, or inside Solomon's newly constructed temple.

God can be where ever he wants, can get any information he wants, and can do anything that's within the harmony of his personality and will. But that's as far as it goes.
Could this also be a matter of interpretation in human terms of something that cannot be fully explained in human terms? I am not arguing either way at this point.

WalterTrull

Godfella
George Burns, Yoki Berra, Morgan Freeman, Eric Clapton, etc. The apostle Paul said even ones on belly . . . all are Gods. Philippians 3:18-19 / 1 Corinthians 8:5-6
OK, coming back.
I understand where Paul was going with that. It's just that it's a somewhat misleading statement. Translation maybe? Wielding faith we could be mistaken for the source, but we are not.