1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Omnipotence Paradox and God's Limitations

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Hubert Farnsworth, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Timothy Spurlin

Timothy Spurlin Active Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Religion:
    Atheist
    If you don't have the objective evidence that your god is real, then just say you don't have it.
    Stop projecting what you do on to me.

2. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,295
    Religion:
    Christian JW
    What does that have to do with anything? Creation proceeded exactly how it was supposed to....in the order that it needed to be done. Its a strange thing that when science discovers something it seems to want to take credit for it. Like the science of bio-mimetics......scientists uncover the clever secrets of nature and then proceed to copy the genius demonstrated in the natural world, to take credit for the copy (and often profiting financially from it) whilst pretending that it took no intelligence to invent the original. :rolleyes:

I find gravity to be very useful actually. It seems to be well organized to me. After all what would the universe and life on earth be like without it? We don't need anything to anchor us on this ball spinning at about a 1,000 miles per hour...do we? The planets and their moons orbit away in a very precise manner...like it was programmed. :D

Who said anything about magic? The Bible says that magic is something detestable to God. Unless an atomic explosion is also "magic" then God's power is simply that.....directed power of an incredible and immeasurable kind. Why do you have a problem with that?

I am not concerned by its age but more inclined to evaluate its contents. Nothing in the Bible can be proven to be untrue. It can be disputed by anyone, but never can science prove that the Bible is false....it can prove that some interpretations of the Bible are highly questionable, but then many scientific theories are equally questionable.

They were still in their infancy as far as scientific knowledge was concerned. Most of science's knowledge has been attained only in the last 200 years or so. At the turn of last century they were only beginning to come to terms with the transmission of disease and washing their hands. So at the time the Bible was written, it was sufficient for their level of understanding. It still is.

Please share these instances where the Bible has been proven to be false.

Please share this too.

No I didn't. I said God's power is immeasurable. I said man had invented instruments to measure the wind....but no instrument to measure God's power.

Now this is classic, but indicative of science's limitations when it comes to real knowledge about the universe. They have been searching for signs of life on other planets since space exploration was first begun. To date, there has been none found. There is a lot of speculation but nothing concrete. This is what science excels at.....speculation...what 'could be' or 'might be' out there...when they don't really know what IS.

Google it. You can die of a broken heart.

But the Kings were not the goat herders. Nor were the scribes who wrote their words. You want to imply lack of intelligence, but in science I see a great lack of intelligence in accepting things that cannot be proven....so where is the oneupmanship? You guys are "believers" in what cannot be proven, so how are you on higher ground than we are? Choose your belief system....

The proof is in history itself. What reason was Jesus sent to the "lost sheep" of Israel, rather than to her well educated religious leaders? That will answer your question.

Napoleon once commented...."An extraordinary power of influencing and commanding men has been given to Alexander, Charlemagne and myself. But with us the presence has been necessary. . . . Whereas Jesus Christ has influenced and commanded His subjects without His visible bodily presence for eighteen hundred years.”

He also said...“Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires, but upon what did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force. Jesus Christ alone founded his kingdom upon love.”

Mahatma Gandhi even said to Lord Erwin, the British Viceroy....“When your country and mine shall get together on the teachings laid down by Christ in this Sermon of the Mount, we shall have solved the problems, not only of our countries but those of the whole world.”

Quite an impressive itinerant preacher IMO.

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. MonkeyFire

MonkeyFire Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +540
    Religion:
    Faithful Jesus believer
    why would God willingly create a paradox?

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Nakosis

Nakosis Time Efficient Lollygagger
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,141
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    I'm discussing a Hindu belief.

5. Nakosis

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,141
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    I'll assume you haven't had much experience with lucid dreams.

Hindu philosophy is pretty deep, but like most religions, their concepts of gods can vary.

6. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +34,139
    Religion:
    None
    Your hatred and mockery, deliberate misunderstanding and misrepresentation of science because it actually attempts to discover the working of the natural world rather that taking the unquestioning word of bronze age authors of your faith is not my problem

You ate thinking on much to small a scale,. I cannot educate you on that if you refuse to be educated. Needless to say you should study the orbits of spacial bodies to see how disorganised they are

Precise?

BlushingCharmingEyelashpitviper-size_restricted.gif

Yet the only way for god to have done it is with magic so hypocrisy is a rule of god?

And there lies the problem. Do you use an abacus or a computer to post on RF?

Creation of man and woman??? Impossible and contradictory
    Talking snakes and donkeys??? Impossible
    Samsons magic hair??? Impossible
    Pillar of salt??? Impossible
    Noahs ark??? Impossible and proven not to have occured
    Virgin birth??? Impossible and contradictory.

It was all they knew at the time, knowledge has increased in so many ways, the bible has not changed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ChristineM

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +34,139
    Religion:
    None
    Yes i have, i am however able to determine the difference between reality and a bunch of neurones firing.

I am sure, it is also faith.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Timothy Spurlin

Ratings:
    +127
    Religion:
    Atheist
    That didn't answer my question.

9. Timothy Spurlin

Ratings:
    +127
    Religion:
    Atheist
    First you have to prove there is a god that created anything.
    How do you know that things are as they should be?

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Willamena

Willamena Just me
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,638
    Religion:
    Mystics
    Omnipotence doesn't refer to human capabilities like strength, but to more cosmic ones. The omni-god is the image of an all-pervading god, present in every atom, knowledgeable and capable from that perspective. It is very much an ancient pantheistic image.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nakosis

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,141
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    Neurons firing is reality. That's how nerves communicate.

12. Nakosis

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,141
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    Ok, so?

13. ChristineM

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +34,139
    Religion:
    None
    Still dreaming

14. Nakosis

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,141
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    I think you got it.

15. ChristineM

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +34,139
    Religion:
    None
    Yup i got dreaming is not reality, dreaming does not pay the rent

16. Nakosis

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,141
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    Not really the point. Try this, next time you are dreaming, within the dream try to prove it's only a dream.

17. ChristineM

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +34,139
    Religion:
    None
    Try this, next time you are dreaming put $10000 in your bank, see if its there when you wake up

18. Nakosis

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,141
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    Waking up is cheating.
    Obviously folks realize they were dreaming after they wake. There's nothing special about that. You don't even have to put money in the bank. You just wake up and realize you've been dreaming. No real need to prove the obvious.

The proof has to happen before you wake up.

19. ChristineM

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +34,139
    Religion:
    None

The money never went in the bank even during the dream. Case closed

20. Nakosis

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,141
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    Ok, you've proven something no one was asking to be proved. Congratulations.
    Let me know if you ever want to prove something that's actually difficult.