• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Omer Of Manna

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Exodus 16

And Moses said: 'This is the thing which the LORD hath commanded: Let an omerful of it be kept throughout your generations; that they may see the bread wherewith I fed you in the wilderness, when I brought you forth from the land of Egypt.'

And Moses said unto Aaron: 'Take a jar, and put an omerful of manna therein, and lay it up before the LORD, to be kept throughout your generations.'

As the LORD commanded Moses, so Aaron laid it up before the Testimony, to be kept.

What information do we have about this? Where are the omers of Manna that the Israelites and Aaron were commanded to keep? --This would be a great proof for many people, that God did indeed rain Manna from heaven, and that He freed the Israelites from slavery in Egypt -- if it could be tested and verified.

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Tradition put them stored along side the stone tablets given to Moses in the arc of the Covenant. When it was lost and to whom is anyone's guess.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Tradition put them stored along side the stone tablets given to Moses in the arc of the Covenant. When it was lost and to whom is anyone's guess.

I can't bring to mind a citation, but I seem to recall the Rabbis opining that all the various things said to have been kept as mementos of great miracles, like the omer of manna, and so forth, were kept in the Kodesh Kodashim (Holy of Holies) with the Aron (Ark of the covenant)-- some even said inside the Ark. And when the First Temple was destroyed and looted by the Babylonians in the disaster of the 9th of Av in 587 BCE, the Ark and everything else in the Temple was lost, and was never recovered.

The Ark that they kept in the Second Temple was a replacement, made during the rebuilding of the Temple around the turn of the fifth century BCE, and it was empty, nor was there anything in the Kodesh Kodashim of the Second Temple besides that Ark.