• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oligarchy: The fight for democracy and the environment are the same

Shad

Veteran Member
Losses offset income.

Gains are not income.

They are a part of tax calculations.

Nope. If I invest 8k but the investment bombs to the point my 8k is now 6k I do not pay taxes on my lost 2k. It is not even considered.

I feel like we are having to pursue semantics because ypu are trying to call me out on something. You are not paying 2.5% or 5% on your capital gains.

Yes I have paid 2.5 and 5% depending on duration of the investment. Short term are taxed more. I have paid 0% as I was under the 77k income limit in the past.

Shad

Veteran Member
You're ignoring that the definition is that of a fossil fuel but there's no sense in arguing with someone over semantics so this is my last post on the definition of a fossil fuel which includes natural gas.

Nope. I was talking about specific energy sources. You own link separate these energy sources as well. Ergo you own source supports not only my use but my general point. Read your source. Heck read your own quote. I highlighted it for you as you seem to have an inability to read what you cite.

*Yawn*

You can not even read my post in which I specifically said oil and coal. Keep digging that hole. Heck your soucre does not even consider renewable natural gas ergo is misinformed and out of date.

Last edited:

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Yeah right, natural gas is only renewable if your willing to wait millions of years.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Gains are not income.
I think you might need to work on your semantics. It seems trivial to argue this especially if you are not involved with taxes. I do understand why you might think that though.

Nope. If I invest 8k but the investment bombs to the point my 8k is now 6k I do not pay taxes on my lost 2k. It is not even considered.
It is not considered until you pull your money out. If you sell at 6k then it is considered.

Yes I have paid 2.5 and 5% depending on duration of the investment. Short term are taxed more. I have paid 0% as I was under the 77k income limit in the past.
0 is definitely possible. It is the other numbers that are not.

Shad

Veteran Member
I think you might need to work on your semantics. It seems trivial to argue this especially if you are not involved with taxes. I do understand why you might think that though.

Gains are under income tax laws ergo not income.

Except I am involved with my taxes. Using an account does not mean no involvement

It is not considered until you pull your money out. If you sell at 6k then it is considered.

I didn't say sell at 6k. I said worth 6k. I am not taxed on my loss.

0 is definitely possible. It is the other numbers that are not.

Wrong.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Gains are under income tax laws ergo not income.
This is wrong. We can spend time arguing about it if you want.
Except I am involved with my taxes. Using an account does not mean no involvement
It is not that I think you are not involved.

I didn't say sell at 6k. I said worth 6k. I am not taxed on my loss.
I think you are failing to understand me. Perhaps it is my explanation.

Except, I am not.

Shad

Veteran Member
This is wrong. We can spend time arguing about it if you want.

It is not under income tax ergo not income. I am talking about taxes while you want to use it in a non-tax definition.

I think you are failing to understand me. Perhaps it is my explanation.

Could be

Except, I am not.

Except you are as I have paid various rates including 0, 2.5, and 5. So go ahead telling me about my own taxes based on my own investments while you have zero knowledge and access to that data.

Curious George

Veteran Member
It is not under income tax ergo not income. I am talking about taxes while you want to use it in a non-tax definition.
No, I am using definitions as provided in the tax code.

I will assume it is. If there is anything you recognize that I can make more clear, please let me know.

Except you are as I have paid various rates including 0, 2.5, and 5. So go ahead telling me about my own taxes based on my own investments while you have zero knowledge and access to that data.
Except you haven't. I needn't have access to your information to know this. I can only assume that after adjusting for costs and losses the 15 or 20% that you paid appeared to you as a 2.5 or a 5% tax. But, you did not pay 2.5 or 5% on that income.

Shad

Veteran Member
No, I am using definitions as provided in the tax code.

Capital gains are not taxed as income.

Except you haven't.

Wrong. Go ahead tell me about me finances which you have no access to nor information on. Hilarious. Can you read my mind too?

I needn't have access to your information to know this.

Ergo an assertion which you have confidence in based on zero evidence. Hilarious.

I can only assume that after adjusting for costs and losses the 15 or 20% that you paid appeared to you as a 2.5 or a 5% tax.

Losses are not part of being taxed. At least get the basic policy right before you babble.

But, you did not pay 2.5 or 5% on that income.

It's not income and yes I paid those rates. Keep grasping at nothing based on zero data. This is hilarious. You are just making assertion because I did something you didn't bother doing nor even looking up ergo envy.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Capital gains are not taxed as income.
Capital gains are not taxed as wages. They are still defined as income.

Wrong. Go ahead tell me about me finances which you have no access to nor information on. Hilarious. Can you read my mind too?
No, i cannot read your mind. I just understand tax law.
Ergo an assertion which you have confidence in based on zero evidence. Hilarious.
You say zero, i say 100. One of us is mistaken.

Losses are not part of being taxed. At least get the basic policy right before you babble.
Still think we are missing something here. I did not say that Losses are being taxed. I said losses are part of the calculation that determines what is being taxed.

It's not income and yes I paid those rates. Keep grasping at nothing based on zero data. This is hilarious. You are just making assertion because I did something you didn't bother doing nor even looking up ergo envy.
It is income. You did not only pay 2.5% or 5% on your capital gains. I do not need to look anything up. But if you think you can send me somewhere that I can look something up, feel free to point me in that direction.

Shad

Veteran Member
Capital gains are not taxed as wages. They are still defined as income.

Wages are under income thus income taxes. Gains are not.

No, i cannot read your mind. I just understand tax law.

No you don't otherwise you would know 10, 15 and 20% are based on income first. I already pointed out I had an income at a point which was below those thresholds ergo paid 0%. You ignored this.

You say zero, i say 100. One of us is mistaken.

That would be the one not paying my taxes ergo you.

Still think we are missing something here. I did not say that Losses are being taxed. I said losses are part of the calculation that determines what is being taxed.

You are talking about net loses based on multiple investments over a yearly period if loses exceed gains. I am not talking about this.

You did not only pay 2.5% or 5% on your capital gains.

Yes I have and lower. Keep telling me what taxes I have paid based on pure speculation on your part..... It makes you look stable...

I do not need to look anything up. But if you think you can send me somewhere that I can look something up, feel free to point me in that direction.

Any investment account can help you.

I can not give you answers without knowing your investments, terms, income, tax bracket, source of the investment, goal of the investment, etc. These all factor into tax rates. For example if you invest in your home you can pay nothing to a 250k (single) or 500k (married) limit.

dfnj

How on earth do you propose to rectify the alleged imbalance though? Does the government simply break up companies that get to a certain size? Do we penalize Apple for being incredibly successful? Do we cap wages? Do we tell folks they have no right to earn $50,000,000.00 in a single year? Should highly paid individuals be forced to donate their time and money or face a massive tax?

Right back at you. Why should Walmart be allowed to pay workers poverty wages where their workers need government subsidies to live. Costco pays good wages, makes a great profit, and gives their workers descent healthcare. Why do we have to have a system where the Walton children share 8 billion dollars of profit instead of 4 billion at tax payer expense?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Wages are under income thus income taxes. Gains are not.
Wages are under gross income capital gains are not. Some gains are.

No you don't otherwise you would know 10, 15 and 20% are based on income first. I already pointed out I had an income at a point which was below those thresholds ergo paid 0%. You ignored this.
I didn't ignore this. I acknowledged it was completely possible to pay 0% on capital gains if your gross income was under a specific amount. The only thing that I have said was that you did not pay 2.5% or 5% on capital gains.

That would be the one not paying my taxes ergo you.
And I think it is you. Again one of us is mistaken.

You are talking about net loses based on multiple investments over a yearly period if loses exceed gains. I am not talking about this.

Yes I have and lower. Keep telling me what taxes I have paid based on pure speculation on your part..... It makes you look stable...
I will, thank you for your permission.

Any investment account can help you.
Maybe, I imagine we would get along fine and he would say something along the lines of "no, no, I just explain it that way to clients because they don't understand otherwise."
I can not give you answers without knowing your investments, terms, income, tax bracket, source of the investment, goal of the investment, etc. These all factor into tax rates. For example if you invest in your home you can pay nothing to a 250k (single) or 500k (married) limit.
Lol, I am certainly not looking for answers. I am just wondering if you happen to know of a tax table or a anything in the tax code that says you can pay 2.5% or 5% on capital gains.