• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oligarchy: The fight for democracy and the environment are the same

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The report is obviously skewed because they mention global warming right off the bat. Of course, "global warming" fell out of vogue many years ago. "Climate change" has replaced it as the catastrophe du jour. You've been had.

Way to address the point. Or anything else.
To clarify, is your contention that US contribution to world pollution is negligible, or that we can only address the worst polluter on the planet at any given point in time.

List of countries by carbon dioxide emissions - Wikipedia
Who are the world's biggest polluters? | Pictures | Reuters

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Again, you're focusing on the US. The US is not the major polluter in the world. What do we do about these countries?
Why would other countries not want to save money while at the same time reducing CO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions?

We as a nation might help with R&D to make the savings larger on average. And there might be other measures.

And there's just one example I found relatively easily The Kenya LifeStraw Project - Carbonfund.org - there are no doubt many others.

PureX

Veteran Member
Personally I prefer market-based solutions that make it in everyone's interest to act positively. These mechanisms address the "tragedy of the commons". And they can save money. But too often, we see government promoting more expensive and more polluting solutions, such as coal.

Here's just one example: Take James Brainard, the Republican mayor of Carmel, Indiana, since 1996. He’s put a priority on lowering emissions because it saves his city money and makes it a nicer place to live There Is A Conservative Approach To Climate Change | HuffPost

If conservatives in general accepted the science rather than denying it, I'm sure we would see many ideas that would save money and improve the environment at the same time.
Conservatives don't accept climate change because the wealthy elite and their corporate profit-machines do not want those profits infringed upon by climate-saving legislation. So they have spent a lot of money telling everyone that it's hokum. And these 'conservatives' believe it because they both fear and idolize their overlords. Even you are blaming it all on the "government" when the government is nothing more than a collection of toadies for the wealthy elite that pay to get them elected and then pay them them to do their bidding when they are. Conservatives are always accusing liberals of wanting a "nanny state" when they, themselves, are in love with the "big daddy state".

Shad

Veteran Member
you seem to pride yourself in ripping off the government and hence the people!!

Nope. I just have an accountant that has knowledge of tax codes. Heck anyone can do it. If you are under 77k income a year you can invest with a 0% tax rate. Do not be jelly

Shad

Veteran Member
Lots of people think they can. But the truth is a little more complicated. Many people overpay. Chances are he is not ripping off the government but offsetting income with losses.

No offsetting the taxes with reduction. Losses are factored in before a tax

Shad

Veteran Member
Conservatives don't accept climate change because the wealthy elite and their corporate profit-machines do not want those profits infringed upon by climate-saving legislation. So they have spent a lot of money telling everyone that it's hokum. And these 'conservatives' believe it because they both fear and idolize their overlords. Even you are blaming it all on the "government" when the government is nothing more than a collection of toadies for the wealthy elite that pay to get them elected and then pay them them to do their bidding when they are. Conservatives are always accusing liberals of wanting a "nanny state" when they, themselves, are in love with the "big daddy state".

Like BP's support of the Paris Accords right? Low information opinions are hilarious.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Like BP's support of the Paris Accords right? Low information opinions are hilarious.
Many corporations are indeed more responsive and responsible compared to many on the right wing who are metaphorically hiding under the bed, fingers in ears and screaming "No. No. No. I won't. You can't make me."

Shad

Veteran Member
Many corporations are indeed more responsive and responsible compared to many on the right wing who are metaphorically hiding under the bed, fingers in ears and screaming "No. No. No. I won't. You can't make me."

Nope. All those companies are part of the natural gas market as well as oil. Natural gas will be the stopgap when oil and coal are dropped but before renewables take over the market.

BP has to be sued by the US government for damages during the Gulf spill. Sued by it's own shareholders. Sued by citizens which dependent on the Gulf for their living. Sued by various states Responsible? Hilarious.

GoodbyeDave

Will more democracy prevent anthropogenic climate change? No. China has major problems with pollution, but their non-democratic government takes them seriously and is trying to sort them out. The semi-democratic USA has a government that does little, because the electorate contains millions of uneducated idiots, like a certain person in this thread!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Nope. All those companies are part of the natural gas market as well as oil. Natural gas will be the stopgap when oil and coal are dropped but before renewables take over the market.

BP has to be sued by the US government for damages during the Gulf spill. Sued by it's own shareholders. Sued by citizens which dependent on the Gulf for their living. Sued by various states Responsible? Hilarious.
Renewables are already taking over the market.

Unsubsidized onshore wind and utility-scale solar are both cheaper than new coal in many parts of the U.S., and are cost-competitive with combined-cycle natural gas on a levelized cost basis. In the words of Tom Sanzillo, Director of Finance for the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis, “clean energy is now cheap energy.”

Cheap Renewables Keep Pushing Fossil Fuels Further Away From Profitability - Despite Trump's Efforts

Renewable energy is now cheaper than natural gas and coal in parts of the United States.

Renewable Energy Is Surging, but Not Fast Enough to Stop Warming

PureX

Veteran Member
No, like BP ignoring regulations in the Gulf and then spilling millions of gallons of oil because of it. And why did they ignore those regulations? Because it cut into their massive profit margins. And like BP giving millions of dollars in bribe money to legislators like Mitch McConnell to deny climate change and fight environmental legislationat every opportunity and in every form. And like BP paying TV networks hundreds of millions of dollars for long, slick, kitchy ads telling us all how much they love us so that they will make up such a powerful revenue stream for the networks that they won't report their pipeline breaks and environmental disasters anymore.

Shad

Veteran Member
No, like BP ignoring regulations in the Gulf and then spilling millions of gallons of oil because of it. And why did they ignore those regulations? Because it cut into their massive profit margins. And like BP giving millions of dollars in bribe money to legislators like Mitch McConnell to deny climate change and fight environmental legislationat every opportunity and in every form. And like BP paying TV networks hundreds of millions of dollars for long, slick, kitchy ads telling us all how much they love us so that they will make up such a powerful revenue stream for the networks that they won't report their pipeline breaks and environmental disasters anymore.

Yet BP loves the Paris Accords and supports it. You do nothing to undermine my point.

Shad

Veteran Member
Renewables are already taking over the market.

I am talking about dominance.

Unsubsidized onshore wind and utility-scale solar are both cheaper than new coal in many parts of the U.S., and are cost-competitive with combined-cycle natural gas on a levelized cost basis. In the words of Tom Sanzillo, Director of Finance for the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis, “clean energy is now cheap energy.”

Natural gas isn't fossil fuel. Read what I post and what you link. You proved my point.

Shad

Veteran Member
I use the dictionary definition:

Definition of fossil fuel
: a fuel (such as coal, oil, or natural gas) formed in the earth from plant or animal remains
Definition of FOSSIL FUEL

Irrelevant as your own source separates natural gas from coal and fossil fuel. You didn't read your own source. Hilarious. Heck I highlighted it for you. Keep ignoring your own source.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Yes losses are not tax.Ergo removed from tax calculations.

Capital gains

No I have an account that does it
Losses offset income. They are a part of tax calculations. I feel like we are having to pursue semantics because ypu are trying to call me out on something. You are not paying 2.5% or 5% on your capital gains.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Irrelevant as your own source separates natural gas from coal and fossil fuel. You didn't read your own source. Hilarious. Heck I highlighted it for you. Keep ignoring your own source.
You're ignoring that the definition is that of a fossil fuel but there's no sense in arguing with someone over semantics so this is my last post on the definition of a fossil fuel which includes natural gas.

Fossil Fuel Facts
Natural gas

Natural gas is the gas component of coal and oil formation.

Fossil Fuel Facts