• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old or new testament

whirlingmerc

In Genesis 1:26, The male and female here are all the different racists in the world came from.

Where as in Genesis 2:7, this being Adam and in Genesis 2:21-22 this being the creation of Eve.

There can be enough genetic variation between two people for all the races we see today

syo

I will follow what Jesus said:

Matthew 5:17-20 New International Version (NIV)
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 13:52 New International Version (NIV)

He said to them, “Therefore every teacher of the law who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old.”

What do you think he is saying?
Jesus updated the commands. That is why we are christians. :)

Faithofchristian

I will follow what Jesus said:

Matthew 5:17-20 New International Version (NIV)
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 13:52 New International Version (NIV)

He said to them, “Therefore every teacher of the law who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old.”

What do you think he is saying?

First of all, what are those commandments that Christ Jesus referred to in the book of Matthew 5:17-19

17---" Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven"

Notice Christ Jesus said in verse 19 whosoever therefore shall break one of these lease commandments

What lease commandments, The ones that Christ Jesus just gave back in Verses 3-16
Those being the law of the kingdom of heaven.

syo

You posted

Take no revenge and cherish no grudge against your own people. You shall love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD. Leviticus 18:19
Didn't jesus expand this? love also your enemy?

MJFlores

Jesus updated the commands. That is why we are christians. :)

Yes it is updated.

First of all, what are those commandments that Christ Jesus referred to in the book of Matthew 5:17-19

17---" Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven"

Notice Christ Jesus said in verse 19 whosoever therefore shall break one of these lease commandments

What lease commandments, The ones that Christ Jesus just gave back in Verses 3-16
Those being the law of the kingdom of heaven.

Roger that.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
In my opinion, christians should follow the words of Jesus alone. The Old testament is old and is good for history only. The new testament is what really matters. The apostles said things too but they are not gods like jesus. When it comes to christians, we should count Jesus' words above all. :) So when we say the bible has contradictions we ask ourselves what did Jesus say?

There are few original thoughts in the NT, most are commentaries/halacha on the OT, and 1/3 of the OT is prophecy! The OT is vital for instruction, see 2 Timothy 3:16-17, please!

pearl

Didn't jesus expand this? love also your enemy?

Yes, and unique to Jesus, from:
You shall treat the alien who resides with you no differently than the natives born among you; you shall love the alien as yourself; for you too were once aliens in the land of Egypt.I, the LORD, am your God. 19:34

Tumah

Veteran Member
Abolish and fulfill are idioms used in the context of the Torah that mean "render void" and "uphold." There are many examples of this usage, in Jewish literature.

If the Sanhedrin gives a decision to abolish (uproot, la'akor) a law, by saying for instance, that the Torah does not include the laws of Sabbath or idolatry, the members of the court are free from a sin offering if they obey them; but if the Sanhedrin abolishes (la'akor) only one part of a law but fulfills (lekayem) the other part, they are liable. Mishnah, Horayot 1:3

Whoever fulfills the Torah when poor will in the end fulfill it in wealth. And whoever treats the Torah as nothing when he is wealthy in the end will treat it as nothing in poverty. Mishnah, Avot 4:9
I think the Pe****ta also understands "abolishing" similarly. It uses the word שׁרא, which mean "to loosen" (as in a knot) or "to permit" (something possibly prohibited).

However, I notice that it uses the word מלא for "fulfill". I'm not so familiar with the Syriac dialect, so I tried to find another instance where it would clearly mean "uphold". I found 2 places, Luke 2:39 and James 2:8. However in both those cases it uses the word שלם. As opposed to that מלא is commonly found throughout the Pe****ta to mean "fulfill the prophecy". So at least the author of the version of the Pe****ta that I found online understood it the way Christians commonly do today.

Wandering Monk

I think the Pe****ta also understands "abolishing" similarly. It uses the word שׁרא, which mean "to loosen" (as in a knot) or "to permit" (something possibly prohibited).

However, I notice that it uses the word מלא for "fulfill". I'm not so familiar with the Syriac dialect, so I tried to find another instance where it would clearly mean "uphold". I found 2 places, Luke 2:39 and James 2:8. However in both those cases it uses the word שלם. As opposed to that מלא is commonly found throughout the Pe****ta to mean "fulfill the prophecy". So at least the author of the version of the Pe****ta that I found online understood it the way Christians commonly do today.

Maleh is used in the OT for 'affirm' or 'confirm.'

In the Septuagint (Greek translation of the OT, from about 250 BC) the word 'pleroo' in Greek translates the Hebrew word 'malei'. It almost always means' to fill;' But there are other nuances of the word.

Here is the Strong definition:
4390. male', maw-lay'; or mala' (Esth. 7 : 5), maw-law'; a prim. root, to fill or (intrans.) be full of, in a wide application (lit. and fig.):--accomplish, confirm, + consecrate, be at an end, be expired, be fenced, fill, fulfil, (be, become, X draw, give in, go) fully (-ly, -ly set, tale), [over-] flow, fulness, furnish, gather (selves, together), presume, replenish, satisfy, set, space, take a [hand-] full, + have wholly.
Here are a couple of places that conform to the idea that 'malei' (equivalent to 'pleroo' in the Greek) c

In the following passage the word seems be used in the sense of 'to confirm, establish, authenticate.'

1 Ki 1:13 Go and get thee in unto king David, and say unto him, Didst not thou, my lord, O king, swear unto thine handmaid, saying, Assuredly Solomon thy son shall reign after me, and he shall sit upon my throne? why then doth Adonijah reign? 14 Behold, while thou yet talkest there with the king, I also will come in after thee, and confirm (Heb. malei, Gk. pleroo) thy words.

There is another word in Hebrew often translated as 'fulfil; 'it is the word 'kum.' This word is often used by the Sages in the Mishnah and Talmud and means 'to do, to carry out.' From the following passage you can see that 'malei' and 'kum' are nearly synonymous.

Jer 44:25 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, saying; Ye and your wives have both spoken with your mouths, and fulfilled (malei) with your hand, saying, We will surely perform our vows that we have vowed, to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her: ye will surely accomplish (kum) your vows, and surely perform your vows.

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
Maleh is used in the OT for 'affirm' or 'confirm.'

In the Septuagint (Greek translation of the OT, from about 250 BC) the word 'pleroo' in Greek translates the Hebrew word 'malei'. It almost always means' to fill;' But there are other nuances of the word.

Here is the Strong definition:
4390. male', maw-lay'; or mala' (Esth. 7 : 5), maw-law'; a prim. root, to fill or (intrans.) be full of, in a wide application (lit. and fig.):--accomplish, confirm, + consecrate, be at an end, be expired, be fenced, fill, fulfil, (be, become, X draw, give in, go) fully (-ly, -ly set, tale), [over-] flow, fulness, furnish, gather (selves, together), presume, replenish, satisfy, set, space, take a [hand-] full, + have wholly.
Here are a couple of places that conform to the idea that 'malei' (equivalent to 'pleroo' in the Greek) c

In the following passage the word seems be used in the sense of 'to confirm, establish, authenticate.'

1 Ki 1:13 Go and get thee in unto king David, and say unto him, Didst not thou, my lord, O king, swear unto thine handmaid, saying, Assuredly Solomon thy son shall reign after me, and he shall sit upon my throne? why then doth Adonijah reign? 14 Behold, while thou yet talkest there with the king, I also will come in after thee, and confirm (Heb. malei, Gk. pleroo) thy words.

There is another word in Hebrew often translated as 'fulfil; 'it is the word 'kum.' This word is often used by the Sages in the Mishnah and Talmud and means 'to do, to carry out.' From the following passage you can see that 'malei' and 'kum' are nearly synonymous.

Jer 44:25 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, saying; Ye and your wives have both spoken with your mouths, and fulfilled (malei) with your hand, saying, We will surely perform our vows that we have vowed, to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her: ye will surely accomplish (kum) your vows, and surely perform your vows.
I'm sorry if that wasn't clear, the Pe****ta is written in Syriac, a dialect of Aramaic not Hebrew. While there are obviously relationships between these root words, the different dialects and languages have their own styles of using them. That's why I don't look for the translation of the word, but the usage of the word. And you are right in that both Rabbinic Hebrew and (I believe) both Jewish Western and Eastern Aramaic use the word קום in both of the following instances. But this is only one of many differences between these dialects, so it doesn't come as a surprise.

James 2:8
משׁלמיתון איך דכתיב - you (pl.) fulfill (pl) how it is written
Luke 2:39
וכד שׁלמו כל מדם - and when they fulfilled all that

John 15:25
דתתמלא מלתא דכתיבא - that it be fulfilled the words that are written
Matt. 5:17
אלא דאמלא - rather I fulfill

I think from these four cases you can more clearly see the difference between how the words מלא and שלם are used in the Syriac dialect in these contexts and consequently, how they understood Matt. 5:17. I do not know the NT very well, and struggled to find those two examples where the context clearly indicated "uphold", so if you know of others, I'd be happy to look at them as well.

whirlingmerc

If it were that simple we would all be blind.

Mark 9:47,

And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
Just because there is a page in all Bible's right in front of Matthew that say in big bold letters, "The New Testament" doesn't mean that is where the New Testament actually begins.

First of all, everything written before Jesus' birth was written so that Israel would recognize their redeemer. Jesus came to set up an everlasting kingdom. That is plain to see from reading Genesis to Malachi. Essentially the Bible is a book about Jesus, who in turn reveals God to the world.

Luke 24:27,

And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.​

John 5:39,

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Of course, despite God's best efforts, Israel, at least the religious leaders, not only didn't recognize Jesus as their redeemer, they actually had him killed. Without the king the kingdom was put on hold. The book of Revelation is all about Jesus' second coming when all promises concerning the promised kingdom will come to pass. It is also spoke of in Jeremiah.

Jer 31:31,

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
While taught for thousands of years that we are now in the "new testament" Jeremiah clearly indicates that not to be the case. The New Testament is between God and His chosen people, i.e. Israel. Neither the Old Testament nor the New Testament have anything to do with the Gentiles.

So where do the Gentiles come in the picture? They are taken care of in the books of Acts through Jude. Basically, during this period God deals with both Jew and Gentile in a completely different way than He dealt with Israel before Jesus' first coming and how He will deal them at his second coming.

Ephesians offers a good summary of what God is doing in the period between Acts and Jude:

Eph 2:11-22,

11 Wherefore remember, that ye [being] in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition [between us];
15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, [even] the law of commandments [contained] in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, [so] making peace;
16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner [stone];
21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.​

Do a word study on "mystery" in Paul's epistles. The Greek word "musterion" is better translated as secret. Once revealed, a secret can be understood. It'll take time and much thought, but if you do, you will see that Paul reveals to us in this day and time what the resurrection of Jesus really meant for all mankind, not just Israel. After all, wouldn't you think something grand must have happened by the resurrection of a man from the dead? Of course! It was a game changer to the nth degree. The things we have available to us in this period of time were not available before Christ rose from the dead, and they won't be available once he returns to fulfill all the promises God made to Israel concerning and everlasting kingdom. That is the very subject of the secret God revealed to Paul. Prior to that revelation to Paul, nobody had a clue of the secret.

1Cor 2:7,

But we (Paul) speak the wisdom of God in a mystery (secret), [even] the hidden [wisdom], which God ordained before the world unto our (born again believers) glory:
Eph 3:4-9,

4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery (secret) of Christ)
5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:
7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.
8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I (Paul) should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;
9 And to make all [men] see what [is] the fellowship of the mystery (secret), which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
I wouldn't blow anything I've said without spending much time in considering what the scriptures I've quoted have to say. If you spend the time to understand the implications of these things it'll change your life and your relationship with God and with His son, our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Acts 17:11,

These (the Bereans) were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things (that Paul told them) were so.
Paul encouraged them to not just take his word for it. He encouraged them to study the scriptures to see if the things he said were true or not. The very next verse says that because they did what Paul suggested, many of them believed.

Acts 17:11,

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
When it comes to the words of life, opinions must take a back seat, the seat as far back as possible. When it comes to truth, the only rule of faith and practice ought to be the scriptures and nothing but the scriptures!

God bless...

In isaiah 49:6 God says that it's too small a thing to just save Israel or build Israel up but his salvation should reach the ends of the earth. As Chief Justice Sandra Day O'cconner used to say "What could be clearer than that?" The goal is salvation reaching the ends of the earth.

and of course that always was the promise back to Abraham since God promised 'to bless every family on earth through Abraham' somehow and God did in Jesus

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In my opinion, christians should follow the words of Jesus alone. The Old testament is old and is good for history only. The new testament is what really matters. The apostles said things too but they are not gods like jesus. When it comes to christians, we should count Jesus' words above all. :) So when we say the bible has contradictions we ask ourselves what did Jesus say?
I tend to think the Old Testament was just a hijacked scripture by Christians who applied their own interpretations and meaning to it. Essentially borrowed theology.

There is nothing of note about Jesus whatsoever in the Old Testament given that Judaism has not embraced New Testament theology nor agrees with it in any real way. There is absolutely no Harmony between the two Testaments either given how different the god of the Old Testament is from that of the New Testament.

Christians would certainly be much better off with the New Testament whereas Judaism would stay with its own scriptures that it had from the start.

Faithofchristian

I tend to think the Old Testament was just a hijacked scripture by Christians who applied their own interpretations and meaning to it. Essentially borrowed theology.

There is nothing of note about Jesus whatsoever in the Old Testament given that Judaism has not embraced New Testament theology nor agrees with it in any real way. There is absolutely no Harmony between the two Testaments either given how different the god of the Old Testament is from that of the New Testament.

Christians would certainly be much better off with the New Testament whereas Judaism would stay with its own scriptures that it had from the start.

So you say, which shows that you have little to nothing of understanding the old testament.

Faithofchristian

show yourself of having no understanding about the old testament or the new testament

syo

Yes, and unique to Jesus, from:
You shall treat the alien who resides with you no differently than the natives born among you; you shall love the alien as yourself; for you too were once aliens in the land of Egypt.I, the LORD, am your God. 19:34
An alien isn't an enemy. The old t says plenty about punishing enemies.