• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old Fart Rant

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I don't care what the dictionary says, orientate is just wrong.

I'm amused when I see extra prepositions e.g., "up with which I will not put up with".

I lament the fact that raises the question and begs the question are no longer distinct.

I hate to where, e.g., "we got it to where it would run again".

I'm often amused by the misuse of air quotes e.g., fresh "eggs" for sale.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I sometimes catch myself messing that one up upon a proofread.
Tis an unacceptable error.
IMO, playing with the rules of language works best if one observes
them generally, & one's deviation appears both intentional & useful.
I think my idol Will Shakeshaft had some ideas along those lines....

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Yes but then they'd be saying they are about to be hung instead of hanged :eek:
Yes, I recall from Beckett's play "Waiting for Godot" that Vladimir and Estragon were pretty sure that if they hanged themselves they would likely get erections. Is that anything like being better "hung" than before?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Hmmm. A million years ago, in high school, I can't remember any of the jock types wanting to get lain.
Loses something when explained, but--because they couldn't get laid, they lied (and considered it the same thing). Hence, they couldn't distinguish between "lay" and "lie." It is a pun based on lie- to lie down on something and lie-to tell an untruth.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Loses something when explained, but--because they couldn't get laid, they lied (and considered it the same thing). Hence, they couldn't distinguish between "lay" and "lie." It is a pun based on lie- to lie down on something and lie-to tell an untruth.
So... they actually wanted to get lied? You're right. Translation affliction.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Putting an unecessary "get" int the sentence "they lied," leads me to believe purposeful misunderstanding is afoot.
While my understanding tends to be "afoot", an interesting thought surfaced. I went to high school in Kentucky. It is quite possible that the jocks were wanting to "get lied".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A euphemism?, maybe?

And another......
How about folks who begin sentences with:-
'Basically speaking.....' ?

Just translate that to 'Keeping this simple, just for you....'

:D
The prefixes I loathe are the always utterly dishonest....
"With all due respect...."
"No disrespect intended, but..."