• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old Fart Rant

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
People who punctuate "EVERY SINGLE LINE OF VERBIAGE with "ya know" or "right" drive me up a wall. Had a woman in a conference call do that once, I think every 3rd or 4th word was "right" or "ya know" and she was holding the conference....I hung up on the call.

Once walked from one state office to another and for 1/4 miles of that walk I had a young man and woman behind me talking about something that upset the woman...now I have NO idea what they were talking about...but I do know in 1/4 miles of walking...she said "ya know" 347 TIMES.......
that is when they took a right down another street...which was good...because was about to turn and politely ask her to SHUT HER PIE HOLE!!!!

GoodbyeDave

The problem with lay and lie is that their forms are too similar and there are so few verbs in English which are inherently transitive or intransitive, unlike other European languages.

Knowing Greek and Latin plurals is the prerogative of the better-educated members of my generation. Knowing when to use them, however, is a matter of English usage. Books have indexes, mathematicians use indices. The internet has forums, Roman cities had fora.

In two weeks it will be the festival of Persephone — shall I offer her narcissuses or narcissi?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The plural of the word "fish" is "fish". Death to those who think fishes is correct. They will be swimming with the fish.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The plural of the word "fish" is "fish". Death to those who think fishes is correct. They will be swimming with the fish.
"Swimming with the fishes" is an idiom.....ya flea bitten, car chase'n, butt sniff'n idiom!

Edit:
Hmmm...not an idiom...a saying...a metaphor.

Last edited:

WalterTrull

Godfella
Yeah. Have any reaction to "casted"? Makes me flinch, even though I see that it's (it is contraction) starting to be accepted. Stars being casted in a show, the weatherman claiming he forecasted correctly, shudder, shudder.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I call for a revolution. It's time for the Dictatorship of the People to reform the language into consistent, simple rules that everyone will follow. Or else.

It's been proposed before now the time is ripe to make it happen

1880_SpellingReform_Bulletin_Boston.png

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I hate people in the media pronouncing "turbine" as "tur' bine'".
It sounds so ignant. It's always been pronounced "tur' bin".
You know....like what those "rag heads" wear.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Sorry, but "fishes" is a legitimate spelling. From several dictionaries:

fish
noun, plural (especially collectively) fish, (especially referring to two or more kinds or species) fish·es.
any of various cold-blooded, aquatic vertebrates, having gills, commonly fins, and typically an elongated body covered with scales.

plural fish or fishes
Kids Definition of fish

(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : any of a large group of vertebrate animals that live in water, breathe with gills, and usually have fins and scales
2 : an animal that lives in water —usually used in combination

Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers

Example sentences containing 'Fishes'

Fishes decorate most of the machines and a border of blue paint divides the concrete floor from the Artex walls.Various LOOKING FOR THE SPARK

1A limbless cold-blooded vertebrate animal with gills and fins living wholly in water.

1.2 (the Fish" or "Fishes) The zodiacal sign or constellation Pisces.​