• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oil and Coal.

royol

(This may have already been covered but I haven't seen it)
Have any of the Creationist come up with an explanation for Oil and Coal yet?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
royol said:
(This may have already been covered but I haven't seen it)
Have any of the Creationist come up with an explanation for Oil and Coal yet?

why does the existence of coal and oil contradict creation?

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Pretty Blue; according to scientists everywhere it would take millions of years of incredibly large pockets of decaying matter to make the two... but that's assuming Creationists all believe in a young earth... which looking around here, most don't.

Basically a presumptuous thread.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
ChrisP said:
Pretty Blue; according to scientists everywhere it would take millions of years of incredibly large pockets of decaying matter to make the two... but that's assuming Creationists all believe in a young earth... which looking around here, most don't.

Basically a presumptuous thread.

ah, i see. thankyou :)

Linus

The debate of young earth vs. old earth has been going on in my head for a while now. But I always ask myself, "couldn't have God created the world young with coal and oil already in the earth at the start?"

Well, couldn't He?

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Linus said:
The debate of young earth vs. old earth has been going on in my head for a while now. But I always ask myself, "couldn't have God created the world young with coal and oil already in the earth at the start?"

Well, couldn't He?
I agree Linus. If someone were to believe in diving omnipotence/omniscience etc etc then anything is possible.

Asking a Christian to explain why God is omnipotent? :shrug:

royol

Linus said:

Well, couldn't He?

Well would you believe it, I did not think of that, that answer is the answer everyone has been searching for it explains everything, God made it like that.

He made the coal with fossil leaves already in it, fossil bones of nonexistent animals buried in it, sea shells on the top of mountains, 50 ton boulders stuck in the middle of valleys miles from the nearest similar boulder,
remains of river beds 5 kilometres below the surface and dozens of other things, a truly wonderful God.

From here on in, anyone can come up with the most ludicrous theories and when questioned can answer, God made it like that, it's beautifully simple.

I wish I had thought of that.

waacman

Restoration of everything
To the best of my knowledge there is some evidence that oil is not created over millions of years, but instead thousands. This would happen to fit into the Creationist perspective, but I don't know if they've touched on it.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Linus said:

Well, couldn't He?

That's exactly what I believe Linus. He could have, why not, He's God!

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
royol said:
Well would you believe it, I did not think of that, that answer is the answer everyone has been searching for it explains everything, God made it like that...
Well, this is why people keep coming back to Religious Forums...to ask questions and ponder other people's perspectives. If you are willing to keep an open mind, you just might learn something from the posts here.:)

Another thing you may not have considered is that not every Creationist is a believer in the 'Young Earth' theory. There are many of us who view the 'days' in Genesis as stages of Creation and not 24 hours solar days, so I have no problem accepting scientific evidence that the Earth is millions of years old.

So, to answer your question "Have any of the Creationist come up with an explanation for Oil and Coal yet?", the answer is yes. :D Click here for coal, and here for oil. I hope you find this information useful.:)

royol

So God rested for millions of years as well or was that billions or trillions, thinking like that will give you whatever answer you choose to need, you can believe what you like, think what you like and have a wonderful time, you are able to give yourself the answers, even before you have the questions, perfect thinking, that sounds like the religion for me, what's it called? "The disiples of the make it up as you go along brigade."

Bishka

Veteran Member
royol said:
So God rested for millions of years as well or was that billions or trillions, thinking like that will give you whatever answer you choose to need, you can believe what you like, think what you like and have a wonderful time, you are able to give yourself the answers, even before you have the questions, perfect thinking, that sounds like the religion for me, what'

Why is that so horrible that he rested for that long on the 7th creation period? It never says days in the Bible, it could have been that long, you, me and nobody else knows excpet for God. So, it makes sense.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
royol said:
So God rested for millions of years as well or was that billions or trillions, thinking like that will give you whatever answer you choose to need, you can believe what you like, think what you like and have a wonderful time, you are able to give yourself the answers, even before you have the questions, perfect thinking, that sounds like the religion for me, what's it called? "The disiples of the make it up as you go along brigade."

need i remind that not all creationists subscribe to Genesis, i've read a few pagan creation stories in the books i have, with the birth of the Lord and the Lady, who then danced life into the universe....

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I subscribe to Genesis in a wholly Biblical way. However, I do not find Genesis to contradict evolution, neither do i believe that life just "happened" either. The germ of sentience and the concept of God came from somehere.

That being said, I don't think the fossil record was created as some sort of giant hoax by God: he is above that. This is obviously an area for further thought and investigation. The scriptures have not spoken about it, so it must be up to us to figure it out the best we can.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
There are a number of theories out that coal and oil do not require eons to form. During the flood there would have been large masses of vegetation under tremendous pressure collected in numerous places.

sparc872

That being said, I don't think the fossil record was created as some sort of giant hoax by God: he is above that. This is obviously an area for further thought and investigation. The scriptures have not spoken about it, so it must be up to us to figure it out the best we can.

Nice to see a Christian who thinks that way. When I was attending a youth group in college, they always pressured young earth creation onto everyone, making up ridiculous lies about evolution along the way. I never went to a meeting with that particular group after that.

There are a number of theories out that coal and oil do not require eons to form. During the flood there would have been large masses of vegetation under tremendous pressure collected in numerous places.

I have noticed that for a lot of young earth creationists, issues like this always come back to the flood. May I ask you, how did the organic material become buried under so much material? It is thousands of feet beneath dirt, rock, vegetation and water. Did all of that stuff get placed there in the few thousand years since the flood?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
You know... I have seen some pretty cool things underwater. One of those "WOW!" moments came at a 140 ffw in a place called 40 Fathom Grotto just outside of Ocala Fl!

As we approached the wall, I was astounded that someone took the time to glue these round knives into the wall of this grotto. As we ascended to about 120 or so, I was taken aback as ALL of these round knives were sand dollars, stacked on top of each other. The entire wall was constructed of these sand dollars, stacked like cord wood and extending all of the way to the surface. How many years did this take to be assembled? Make that a DOUBLE WOW!