• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohio state representative says she would consider banning birth control following abortion outlaw

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, contraceptives aren't an enumerated right.
Like interracial marriage, Mr Thomas.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

This stands out to me as particularly atrocious.

"Schmidt, who previously called a pregnancy caused by rape an “opportunity” for women, said there would be no carveout for pregnancies caused by rape or incest.

“You know, rape and incest is an ugly, ugly, ugly act of violence and that woman is truly harmed and scarred. Those wounds will never go away,” she said. “We need to make sure she has all of the love and help and support. But to end the pregnancy of the child is not going to erase the wounds or those scars. That child still has the right to life.”

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Cant stand the nanny state huh?

Neither can I.
Here's the difference:
Having to pay for a plastic shopping bag involves no violation of your rights and only involves a very trivial issue.
Abortion involves a medical procedure that is time sensitive and of a highly personal choice that may also effect the health of the mother.
It's called knowing what freedoms and liberties really are.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Here's the difference:
Having to pay for a plastic shopping bag involves no violation of your rights and only involves a very trivial issue.
Abortion involves a medical procedure that is time sensitive and of a highly personal choice that may also effect the health of the mother.
It's called knowing what freedoms and liberties really are.

It's all the same.

It's authoritarianism and takes away people's rights to make choices for themselves.

Twilight Hue

What choice is being denied with not getting free shopping bags?
How can you not see the difference between the two issues?
There is no difference.

It's government authoritarianism through rule of law.

It's still the same thing.

Now your seeing the bigger stuff happen because the right of choice isn't protected anymore because it's been enabled with the smaller stuff.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's scary reading that, because bad people become rich and powerful when there is a prohibition of something people want and need that is illegal.
The potential of becoming rich is what
enables people to bypass prohibition.

Note to mods...
Not advocating this.
Just recognizing reality.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Now your seeing the bigger stuff happen because the right of choice isn't protected anymore because it's been enabled with the smaller stuff.
The bags were voted on. Roe v Wade involved systemically stacking the SC to do away with something most Americans wanted to remain.
Again I ask, what choice do the bags involve?

Twilight Hue

The bags were voted on. Roe v Wade involved systemically stacking the SC to do away with something most Americans wanted to remain.
Again I ask, what choice do the bags involve?
Again it's the same thing and no the bags were not voted on. It was mandated.

It's people's freedoms to choose.

They did it with the smaller stuff. Now they can move on to the larger stuff because the legal mechanisms are in place.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Again it's the same thing and no the bags were not voted on. It was mandated.

It's people's freedoms to choose.

They did it with the smaller stuff. Now they can move on to the larger stuff because the mechanisms are in place.
If one treats all things with some feature in common,
regardless of imposition upon people, one will find
one's efforts poorly allocated.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It's all the same.

It's authoritarianism and takes away people's rights to make choices for themselves.

No it's really not.

Your attempting to conflate apples.to beach balls.

Edit: me telling you to that it's now an extra nickel for a bag,.isn't the same authoritarianism that put the Japanese in internment camps. It's non sequitur.

Twilight Hue

No it's really not.

Your attempting to conflate apples.to beach balls.

Edit: me telling you to that it's now an extra nickel for a bag,.isn't the same authoritarianism that put the Japanese in internment camps. It's non sequitur.
I disagree in the sense that if you can do it with the smaller stuff, you will then be able do it with the larger stuff.

Its still, as I see it, taking away the right for people to choose at the end of the day.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
She would consider.
Nobody will take her seriously.

By the way, the best hormonal pills are from Europe.
The most sold contraceptives are from a German pharmaceutical company.
Maybe they hate Germany?:p