• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh, that poor "deprived" and "abused" Walmart corporation!

Jonathan Bailey

I once knew a poor man who took some wholesome food, not candy bars, from a Walmart in a Red state that had a total retail value of $97 and some change. He got caught by loss-prevention personnel and the police came and cited him for petty theft. This was in the spring of 2017. In this Red state it may as well had been in 1817 given their backward mentality.

He subsequently made a plea deal with his public defender. His lawyer told him that in the eyes of the judge that he (a poor person) had DEPRIVED Walmart (only the richest business entity in the world).

Deprived.
Deprived.
Deprived.
Deprived.
Deprivation.

Good Lord!

No, deprivation is stealing a poor old woman's social security check out of the mail.
Deprivation is stealing some man's car or horse while leaving him to die in the desert,
for goodness sake.

How dare the legal system use terms like deprivation against the poor in regards to taking a crumb
from a "rich man's floor", so to speak!

Taking unpaid groceries might be against man's penal code law or even the Ten
Commandments, but it is hardy a heinous crime.

Stealing from the poor whatever little they posses materially is indeed evil and heinous!

My poor aching heart just totally bleeds for Walmart...

...like a TURNIP!!

How many Americans has Walmart made poor to date due to job loss?

This poor man had to do five days in a weekend jail which served the most ungodly "food". He also had to pay close to $600 in combined court costs, fines and for "rent" in that weekend jail in spite of his limited VA pension income. The man was disabled and could not bag sand for five days as a jail alternative. Idaho is not California. They have no compassion for the disabled as well. If you have medical issues in California, the jail alternatives there might be office work or filing papers. The man wasn't offered house arrest (the ANKLE BRACELET) as an alternative either in this medieval state. The older Ada County sheriff deputy also spoke some unkind words to this pitiful man, age 53, when he was released.
"Get out of here and don't ever come back again!" Not a simple goodbye. Or, farewell and have better luck in life. Verbal insult (just like the word DEPRIVED) on top of financial injury and being tormented a few days by jail cuisine.

This Red state is the state of Idaho, of course. I know full well that those in authority and those with means in the state of Idaho have no mercy or compunction for the poor. But they are generous, still, as generous as a turnip (or should I say Idaho potato or sugar beet?) you are trying to squeeze blood from.

The Idaho judge must have thought he was being

"charitable" and "kind hearted" for reducing this man's fine from "the standard $500" to $250 and suspending 85 days of 90 days jail in the sentence.

The moral of the story: don't you poor dare get caught taking so much as a crumb from the rich in any Red state. Their cuisine is not as nice as the cuisine in many California jails.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
I once knew a poor man who took some wholesome food, not candy bars, from a Walmart in a Red state that had a total retail value of $97 and some change. He got caught by loss-prevention personnel and the police came and cited him for petty theft. This was in the spring of 2017. In this Red state it may as well had been in 1817 given their backward mentality.

He subsequently made a plea deal with his public defender. His lawyer told him that in the eyes of the judge that he (a poor person) had DEPRIVED Walmart (only the richest business entity in the world).
Walmart is owned by the offspring of the founder, Sam Walton; a very clever but very greedy immoral prick who raised bullying to a new level of corporate business methodology, and made a fortune. His do-nothing children inherited his fortune and his ruthless Walmart corporation and became even more greedy and ruthless in running it than he was. Because inheriting BILLIONS OF DOLLARS for doing absolutely nothing wasn't enough for them. They wanted more! They want it all! They want it so bad that they won't pay their own employees a living wage, forcing many of them to use public aid to survive even though they work full time. And they spend millions of dollars of their profits backing politicians that promise NOT to raise the minimum wage, and to give the rich even more tax breaks so they won't have to pay taxes on the billions more they take in.

This is what greed looks like in America. And how our system rewards it in every way possible. These people did nothing to earn their wealth. And they do nothing to deserve it. We did not elect any of them yet they use their massive wealth to corrupt and rig our political system, to do their bidding, regardless of how it effects the rest of us. And our system not only allows this, it encourages it by rewarding it at every turn. Welcome to America, the land that greed built and operates, just like a Walmart.

Jonathan Bailey

Walmart is owned by the offspring of the founder, Sam Walton; a very clever but very greedy immoral prick who raised bullying to a new level of corporate business methodology, and made a fortune. His do-nothing children inherited his fortune and his ruthless Walmart corporation and became even more greedy and ruthless in running it than he was. Because inheriting BILLIONS OF DOLLARS for doing absolutely nothing wasn't enough for them. They wanted more! They want it all! They want it so bad that they won't pay their own employees a living wage, forcing many of them to use public aid to survive even though they work full time. And they spend millions of dollars of their profits backing politicians that promise NOT to raise the minimum wage, and to give the rich even more tax breaks so they won't have to pay taxes on the billions more they take in.

This is what greed looks like in America. And how our system rewards it in every way possible. These people did nothing to earn their wealth. And they do nothing to deserve it. We did not elect any of them yet they use their massive wealth to corrupt and rig our political system, to do their bidding, regardless of how it effects the rest of us. And our system not only allows this, it encourages it by rewarding it at every turn. Welcome to America, the land that greed built and operates, just like a Walmart.

I've heard Walmart put the cameras in the stores mainly to catch the underpaid store employees mooching things. Most Walmart shoplifting had come from those store workers on the inside.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
It's called stealing, he got a very light sentence of five days in jail on the weekends, Jail is typically for repeat offenders.

sooda

Veteran Member

That's why there are food banks to help people with groceries.

Stanyon

WWMRD?

You could buy $100 worth of groceries at ALDI'S and donate it to a food bank to help out. The need is not every once in a while, it's every day.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's called stealing, he got a very light sentence of five days in jail on the weekends, Jail is typically for repeat offenders.
I often hear justifications for stealing.
The real reason is always "I want it, but don't want to pay.".
But they say...
"It's OK...they budget for loss."
"They have too much."
"I deserve it."
"I'm a virtuous person, & I need it."
"They're a big evil corporation."

sooda

Veteran Member
You could buy $100 worth of groceries at ALDI'S and donate it to a food bank to help out. The need is not every once in a while, it's every day.

ALL the major grocery chains donate billions to food banks. Name this "red state", and I'll locate their food banks.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Though I feel sympathy for the poor man, all of us have to know not to steal from Walmart or we run a very, very real risk of going to jail. Poor people shouldn't be above the laws the middle-class and even rich have to follow.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Deprived.
Deprived.
Deprived.
Deprived.
Deprivation.

Good Lord!

No, deprivation is stealing a poor old woman's social security check out of the mail.
Deprivation is stealing some man's car or horse while leaving him to die in the desert,
for goodness sake.

How dare the legal system use terms like deprivation against the poor in regards to taking a crumb

Stealing from the poor whatever little they posses materially is indeed evil and heinous!

...like a TURNIP!!

This poor man had to do five days in a weekend jail which served the most ungodly "food". He also had to pay close to $600 in combined court costs, fines and for "rent" in that weekend jail in spite of his limited VA pension income. The man was disabled and could not bag sand for five days as a jail alternative. Idaho is not California. They have no compassion for the disabled as well. If you have medical issues in California, the jail alternatives there might be office work or filing papers. The man wasn't offered house arrest (the ANKLE BRACELET) as an alternative either in this medieval state. The older Ada County sheriff deputy also spoke some unkind words to this pitiful man, age 53, when he was released.
"Get out of here and don't ever come back again!" Not a simple goodbye. Or, farewell and have better luck in life. Verbal insult (just like the word DEPRIVED) on top of financial injury and being tormented a few days by jail cuisine.

This Red state is the state of Idaho, of course. I know full well that those in authority and those with means in the state of Idaho have no mercy or compunction for the poor. But they are generous, still, as generous as a turnip (or should I say Idaho potato or sugar beet?) you are trying to squeeze blood from.

"charitable" and "kind hearted" for reducing this man's fine from "the standard $500" to $250 and suspending 85 days of 90 days jail in the sentence.

The moral of the story: don't you poor dare get caught taking so much as a crumb from the rich in any Red state. Their cuisine is not as nice as the cuisine in many California jails.

I agree that using a word like "deprived" in regards to Walmart is quite ridiculous, although I see that as a flaw of the legal profession more than anything else. Lawyers live in an alternate reality, which points up most of the problems in our society today.

Still, he did break the law and got caught, but the lawyers make themselves look silly when they get self-righteously melodramatic like that. Then they wonder why people lose respect for the law.

Audie

Veteran Member

Deprived.
Deprived.
Deprived.
Deprived.
Deprivation.

Good Lord!

for goodness sake.

...like a TURNIP!!

"Deprive" is a legal term of art.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
ALL the major grocery chains donate billions to food banks. Name this "red state", and I'll locate their food banks.

Most food banks I have seen are not operated by the state but by NPO's, churches and houses of worship of religions of all types and staffed with volunteers, there are many options to donate, I think even some Satanic groups got in on it. Socks are a big thing too.

sooda

Veteran Member
Most food banks I have seen are not operated by the state but by NPO's, churches and houses of worship of religions of all types and staffed with volunteers, there are many options to donate, I think even some Satanic groups got in on it. Socks are a big thing too.
They do a he'll of a good job in Atlanta.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If it's a food bank like I was taking people to as a case manager, well, I had several clients I had to tell them it wouldn't do them any good to go there because they have very little for those with dietary restrictions, and would be against their doctors orders. They say beggars can't be choosers, but someone who has to restrict sodium would only find at most a few selections there.

sooda

Veteran Member
If it's a food bank like I was taking people to as a case manager, well, I had several clients I had to tell them it wouldn't do them any good to go there because they have very little for those with dietary restrictions, and would be against their doctors orders. They say beggars can't be choosers, but someone who has to restrict sodium would only find at most a few selections there.

That' s a shame.. In Atlanta they have it much better to include potatoes and fresh fruit and vegetables.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That' s a shame.. In Atlanta they have it much better to include potatoes and fresh fruit and vegetables.
The one in rural Indiana has nothing fresh. Its nearly all boxed and canned and loaded with stuff that just simply will not due for those with dietary restrictions.