• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh.. Oh wow..

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes,

Kirgin is described in the story as "a former St. Louis police officer turned marketer."

"You talk to a beat cop, you talk to a SWAT guy, you talk to a Navy SEAL, these guys, they have a sense of humor,” said Kirgin. "They have a sense of humor that’s not your average guy’s."

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/new...ls-holocaust-style-yellow-star-for-gun-owners

Humor often ends up being offensive to someone.

Apparently a big seller during the Obama years. How is this any different than folks being offended by football players kneeling during the national anthem?
It seems that everyone has their sacred cows.
And we who are clueless will unexpectedly offend.

Dang!
Now I've offended Hindus.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Too bad pix aren't showing up these days.
tenor.gif
My respect for you is going down dramatically. To use a figure of beating a dead horse when it comes to mass murder is something I can't and won't forget.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Dang!
Now you think I'm clueless because of the death of 6 million. Your attitude is cruel and inhuman.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Now you think I'm clueless because of the death of 6 million. Your attitude is cruel and inhuman.
Down, boy...down!
You weren't included in that "we" which has me.

I think you've missed something.
My initial impression was that the stars referred to Jews who'd
wear the patches to identify as such, & to support political issues.
OK, I get that it offends you, ie, I should've had a different (your)
impression. This doesn't mean that I'm OK with pogroms.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well there is a bunch of leftist browncoats...um I mean blackcoats running around the place.

https://www.npr.org/2017/06/16/533255619/fact-check-is-left-wing-violence-rising
Extremists in the wings are perceiving threats of oppression all out of proportion.
If people buy starred patches because they believe their agendas are as threatened
as Jews' lives were in Nazi Germany, they're as bad as those who claimed Trump is
a Nazi or even Hitler risen from the grave.

So....will this post achieve detente....or will nostrils & tempers flare even more?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Extremists in the wings are perceiving threats of oppression all out of proportion.
If people buy starred patches because they believe their agendas are as threatened
as Jews' lives were in Nazi Germany, they're as bad as those who claimed Trump is

So....will this post achieve detente....or will nostrils & tempers flare even more?
More like extreme examples deservedly require extreme answers

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Well there is a bunch of leftist browncoats...um I mean blackcoats running around the place.

https://www.npr.org/2017/06/16/533255619/fact-check-is-left-wing-violence-rising

No one is defending it, and it still isn't comparable to the holocaust, so I'm not sure what your point is.
What I find strange or ironic...

https://www.timesofisrael.com/meet-the-orthodox-firearms-instructor-who-wants-jews-to-own-guns/

Maybe the symbols are licensed for distribution.

So how exactly is it ironic?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Dang!

I try not to take offense. I'm not perfect at it but mostly it seems a waste of time. Especially when the offense is intentional. I guess I don't want people having that kind of power over me.

Also, not my job to take offense for someone else.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yes,

Kirgin is described in the story as "a former St. Louis police officer turned marketer."

"You talk to a beat cop, you talk to a SWAT guy, you talk to a Navy SEAL, these guys, they have a sense of humor,” said Kirgin. "They have a sense of humor that’s not your average guy’s."

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/new...ls-holocaust-style-yellow-star-for-gun-owners

Humor often ends up being offensive to someone.

Apparently a big seller during the Obama years. How is this any different than folks being offended by football players kneeling during the national anthem?

Again, they've stated “We do not invoke this historical symbol lightly. The similarities of the current attitude of the legislative environment and the systematic persecution that this star represents are uncanny. There’s no difference.”

Doesn't sound like they were joking. But even if they were joking about the holocaust - during which 6 million Jewish men, women, and children died - it would only have shown a total lack of decency and integrity.
Of course, regardless of whether or not they were serious or joking, it is their right to make and sell the things, but it also our right to point out how distasteful and repugnant such a product is. Everyone tripping over themselves to defend them is just an example of blind and uncritical party loyalty. This shouldn't even have been a partisan debate, as it had far less to do with politics and far more to do with common decency.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Again, they've stated “We do not invoke this historical symbol lightly. The similarities of the current attitude of the legislative environment and the systematic persecution that this star represents are uncanny. There’s no difference.”

Doesn't sound like they were joking. But even if they were joking about the holocaust - during which 6 million Jewish men, women, and children died - it would only have shown a total lack of decency and integrity.
Of course, regardless of whether or not they were serious or joking, it is their right to make and sell the things, but it also our right to point out how distasteful and repugnant such a product is. Everyone tripping over themselves to defend them is just an example of blind and uncritical party loyalty. This shouldn't even have been a partisan debate, as it had far less to do with politics and far more to do with common decency.

Yes, they were intentionally trying to be offensive to liberals. The whole point of the site is to be as offensive to liberals as possible.

There is a world of offensive humor out there. It's sick, twisted and demented. And, there is a market for it.

You're free to pass moral judgement on it. I'm more of a moral nihilist myself.

Personally I wouldn't buy or wear one.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I wonder about something....
Let's take the premise: It's wrong to compare/associate supporting
gun rights or Republicans to Nazi oppression.
No, it's wrong to compare Republicans and gun owners to victims of genocide and say that there "is no difference."

Is there anyone who agrees with this, but compared Trump to Hitler?
How is that even remotely the same? You can't be serious.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
One isn't attempting to draw a direct comparison to the actual victims of genocide and equate them as being the same thing as opposition and regulation of groups that are in no way oppressed whatsoever?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, it's wrong to compare Republicans and gun owners to victims of genocide and say that there "is no difference."
You say "no", but then proceed to agree with the premise I just offered.
Why?
How is that even remotely the same? You can't be serious.
You can't see the evil of saying Trump will commit the kinds of crimes that Hitler did?
Do you find this valid, either as comparison or prognostication?
Surely, you must be joking, or you seriously misread this post.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
You say "no", but then proceed to agree with the premise I just offered.
Why?
Because your premise was a mis-characterization of the actual issue. It's not just "oppressed groups" they are comparing themselves to, but the actual victims of genocide. Comparing yourself to an oppressed group is one thing, comparing yourself to victims of genocide is a whole other level of stupid.

You can't see the evil of saying Trump will commit the kinds of crimes that Hitler did?
Not what I said. That is also stupid, but nowhere near the level of thundering stupidity of comparing yourself with victims of genocide. The comparison is obviously absurd.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Because your premise was a mis-characterization of the actual issue. It's not just "oppressed groups" they are comparing themselves to, but the actual victims of genocide. Comparing yourself to an oppressed group is one thing, comparing yourself to victims of genocide is a whole other level of stupid.
Just in case you wrongly believe so (due to 2nd person case),
I'm not comparing myself to anyone.
Not what I said. That is also stupid, but nowhere near the level of thundering stupidity of comparing yourself with victims of genocide. The comparison is obviously absurd.
You shouldn't accuse anyone of mental impairment when utterly misreading my posts.
Calm down, read carefully, & be civil.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yes, they were intentionally trying to be offensive to liberals. The whole point of the site is to be as offensive to liberals as possible.

There is a world of offensive humor out there. It's sick, twisted and demented. And, there is a market for it.

You're free to pass moral judgement on it. I'm more of a moral nihilist myself.

Personally I wouldn't buy or wear one.

Even if they were joking (although their own statement, which we've quoted more than once, suggests that they genuinely considered themselves persecuted in a similar manner) only "liberals" would find jokes at the expense of holocaust victims to be offensive?

Curious George

Veteran Member

I don't think NM is wrong. I do think that leftwing extremism is on the rise. It is the pendulum. I think that this is largely reactionary to the right which is reactionary to the left which is reactionary to the...

I think it is important to acknowledge both groups. Often it is a lack of acknowledgement that stirs such rumblings in the first place.