• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ogma (Ogmia, Ogmios)

Stairs In My House

I am protected.
I have read in a book that I have packed away and can't get to at the moment (I think it was P.B. Ellis's Dictionary of Irish Mythology but I'm not sure) that references to the Irish god Ogma are considered apocryphal and likely added by scholars later to "fill in the blank" for the Irish equivalent of the Gaulish god Ogmios (and the Britons' Ogmia). I'm curious if others have better information on this than I do. I know that sources attributing Ogma with inventing the ogham script are considered rather dubious, but what about the god himself?

I realize I could just get off my lazy butt and research it myself, but if anyone reading this knows of the top of their head then that would be very cool. :cool: Thanks! :D

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I found this from Wikipedia, don't know if it helps or not:

In Irish mythology, Ogma, orator and champion of the Tuatha Dé Danann, was a god of scholars, education, writing and eloquence. He is said to have invented the early Irish alphabet called Ogham. He was known by the epithets Grianainech ("sun-face") and Milbél ("honey-mouth"). He was killed at the Second Battle of Magh Tuiredh after taking away Balor's sword.

He is likely related to the Gaulish deity Ogmios.