• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Officer Barney Fife mistakes gun for a tazer in shooting a black man. Biden calls for peace.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
If I may hop in to answer.....
This apparent accident needn't be regular....but accidents of
all kinds possible are. And there's a continuum between
"accident" & intentional injury/death.

What's "regular" is the massive news coverage of blacks being
victimized by cops. It's not about statistics of police shootings
at all. (Were it so, there'd be outrage at the far greater problem
of shootings & other injustices perpetrated against people of
all races.) It's about demonstrations, riots, looting, & arson;
& the resulting political pressures on police & politicians.
I am wondering if he knows what he is talking about and can back it up or if it is just a knee jerk talking point based on emotional reaction.

Of course, his idea that no one ever be arrested is naive at best...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am wondering if he knows what he is talking about and can back it up or if it is just a knee jerk talking point based on emotional reaction.

Of course, his idea that no one ever be arrested is naive at best...
Let's avoid criticizing the poster before he even answers.
If I were a cop, I wouldn't arrest anyone black unless they
agreed to it. I'd make a lousy cop.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Let's avoid criticizing the poster before he even answers.
If I were a cop, I wouldn't arrest anyone black unless they
agreed to it. I'd make a lousy cop.
I am merely looking to see if his opinion holds any water for me.

He has flat out avoided answering when someone should be arrested.

I have no desire to be a police officer.
They are grossly underpaid, under appreciated and stereotyped to the point of absurdity.
The media only runs stories of the bad examples making it seem like all cops are white supremacists with badges just itching to murder someone.
And even worse is the societies attitude that if a cop does anything they dislike it gives them the right to destroy property and steal whatever they want from whomever.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have just been scanning US supreme court rulings

it seems the practice of stopping a fleeing suspect has been......tethered

so......we may all well expect...
the burglar that just ran out from your house.....is free to go

yes he is
Yep, it is sometimes jokingly said that if you shoot a fleeing burglar one should drag the body back into the house.

Life is more highly valued than property.

We Never Know

No Slack
I am merely looking to see if his opinion holds any water for me.

He has flat out avoided answering when someone should be arrested.

I have no desire to be a police officer.
They are grossly underpaid, under appreciated and stereotyped to the point of absurdity.
The media only runs stories of the bad examples making it seem like all cops are white supremacists with badges just itching to murder someone.
And even worse is the societies attitude that if a cop does anything they dislike it gives them the right to destroy property and steal whatever they want from whomever.
No kidding. Just look at the number of protests that turn into riot's that turn into let's loot the stores then burn them.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
In my neck of the woods, it is not a joke...

for some, perhaps.
Not for the burglar who valued my property over his own life....
I understand the feeling. Many of the "It's just property" squad do not realize that property is also time. It can take years of hard labor to acquire property. It is a pity that our justice system does not include repayment as part of punishment.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
here's a twist......
do not shoot the suspect UNLESS he is a threat of harm
it seems you may do so IF YOU ARE SURE......he is dangerous in same way
perhaps is he known to be armed
are you witness some assault

but hey.....if he punched you hard enough to knock you down
and THEN backed off
the attack has stopped
and you don't get to hit him back

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I just watched the body cam footage for the first time. Seems pretty clear to me that she was trying to taze him. Right after she shot him the officer said, "holy **** I just shot him."

As much as I hate to see yet another police killing of a black person, this is not a Derek Chauvin situation.
It's still negligent homicide at best.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
No kidding. Just look at the number of protests that turn into riot's that turn into let's loot the stores then burn them.
And in a capitalist society, goods are usually worth more than human lives, perhaps because we can't sell human lives for profit (any more).

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Let's play this out with a civilian. If I accidentially shot a guy with my pistol because I originally wanted to use a taser, what kind of charges would I be facing, and how long would I likely have to stay in prison?

We Never Know

No Slack
And in a capitalist society, goods are usually worth more than human lives, perhaps because we can't sell human lives for profit (any more).

Sure they do. Its called human trafficking.

"human trafficking is fueled by a high reward, low risk dynamic. This means that traffickers can expect to make a lot of money with minimal fear of punishment or legal consequence. It's the second most profitable illegal industry— second only to the drug trade."

What Fuels Human Trafficking?.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Let's play this out with a civilian. If I accidentially shot a guy with my pistol because I originally wanted to use a taser, what kind of charges would I be facing, and how long would I likely have to stay in prison?
Not a valid question. As a civilian it is not your job to arrest people. You would have been doing something that as a civilian that you were really not supposed to do. This was an act that cannot really be dealt with in that sort of analogy.